Progesterone and Diazepam

[Mi...]

Still looking for some further advice here. Had really difference messages from professionals who I am struggling to trust.

Has anyone managed to stop their progesterone only contraceptive pill or combined HRT while holding on your benzo reduction?

Starting to feel everything is insurmountable.

Thank you

Hi there. I just wanted to answer your question posted regarding progesterone.  I did stop my combination BC pill while tapering temazepam. I had been on BC and benzos 20 years and was sick of feeling sick. I can’t really say that I had any additional withdrawal from stopping hormones as I was already in the hell of withdrawal. I must also say that I am not trying to give any medical advice, so please discuss coming off hormones with your doctor- just answering your question if anyone had experience with it.

Ironically, i have been benzo free ( and hormone free) for 4 years, but I am approaching menopause so my GYN put me on 100 mg progesterone for treatment of menopause symptoms. I  had an allergic reaction to it - skin reaction all over my body- so my experience with progesterone HRT ended quickly .

I just wanted to encourage you that you will get through this hell. Hormones just add another layer to it, but you can do it- missy  :thumbsup:

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
[70...]

Hi MP,

it seems not a lot of people have this experience. If someone told you the hormones made withdrawal worse, would you want to quit them?

Naf1983

Bump

Hi Naf

I am so unsure of everything at the moment. I wish I had never been put on them. I am still struggling with acceptance of everything the now and my decision making is all over the place!

The local pharmacist says there is a low severity risk as progesterone sort of boosts the diazepam. To do with plasma. She said it may appear like a benzo withdrawal if you stopped the progesterone. There are quite a few research projects and a lot of anecdotal evidence.

It has made me frightened.

I wish there was evidence to show more people managed it no problem.

Thank you for responding. I feel very much alone the now x

Try to contact the member Journey, I remember she was trying to come off progesterone as well.

I myself I'm on progesterone and diazepam, but don't plan on coming off the progesterone.  At least not while I'm tapering the Valium.

Good luck!

Thank you NG

I have spoken to Journey before.

I note from your blog you started and stopped progesterone for a few days. Did you notice any difference? Do you take it continuously? I only have it for 14 days out of 28.

Thank you MP

Try to contact the member Journey, I remember she was trying to come off progesterone as well.

I myself I'm on progesterone and diazepam, but don't plan on coming off the progesterone.  At least not while I'm tapering the Valium.

Good luck!

I take it continuously. I only noticed more depression for the days when I have stopped. I didn't ramp up my benzo wd sxs.

Thank you NG. I just dont have a clue what to do this time.

Are you managing to taper even though you have many wds? Mine are here the whole time I am awake.

Well, is there any particular reason you want to taper the progesterone as well at the moment?

My symptoms are also present all the time I'm awake, but the symptom severity is between 4-6 so I manage to push on. How bad are your symptoms?  How many do you have?  Do you feel stuck in your taper?

I am not sure if I needed it. The gp just gave it for low mood and raised fsh but guessing the benzo did that perhaps.

Symptoms are SI, agoraphobia, no concentration, upset stomach, no appetite, little sleep. Wanting to give up. Cannot stop ruminating and talking about how I feel. I am frightened. I seem to have big dips like this for 5 weeks then a lift up back on the progesterone.

I am finding the symptoms extremely difficult to deal with espec SI. I am hiding away from others.

A trauma/burnout led me to the meds

I am really sorry to hear about all of this. :'(  It seems you are are going through immense psychological pain, I don't even know what to say, how to help you make a decision about that progesterone.  It might not help you to stop and start it constantly, as it has an effect on the brain.

Progesterone enhances GABA transmission and receptor activation, which explains why progesterone metabolites have an anti-anxiety effect and why decreased levels are seen in depression.

Source: https://www.factsaboutfertility.org/hormonal-balance-and-the-female-brain-a-review/

The Valium also makes me terribly depressed.  It's ok to talk and write a lot on the forums, here nobody will judge you for this, I've met a lot of wonderful supportive people whom I cannot thank enough.

Hang in there, it takes a while for the Valium to stabilize. Try reaching out to Winters Sun, he also had a difficult time adjusting to the diazepam.

Sending hugs and healing vibes  :therethere: