Funny Things You Believed When You Were Little

[re...]

I thought it might be fun to sit back, relax, and try to recall some of the crazy - or oddly logical - things we used to believe when we were kids. The original idea I had was to talk about words that we thought were real words but actually weren't real words. But then I decided there were probably lots of other odd beliefs we had back then that would be good for a few laughs. I'll give a couple examples from my own childhood, to get things started.

1. When I was little, I thought ascared was an actual word. I was ascared of the dark. I was ascared of the basement. I was ascared of my neighbor Art, who used to spray me with the garden hose when I'd ride my bike past his house. I think I must have been in high school before I realized that ascared is not an actual word.

2. As long as we're talking about my neighbor Art, when I was little I thought the Lord's Prayer was about him. They taught us to say, Our Father, Who Art in Heaven, etc.  Well, the only Art I knew was that neighbor that I was ascared of, so I thought this must be about him, and I wondered if he was actually in Heaven when he wasn't next door spraying that hose. Was that where the rain came from? I had no idea that art was actually an archaic form of the verb to be (second-person singular: thou art). Later I decided that it could not be about my neighbor Art, so it must actually be saying, Our Father, Who aren't in Heaven. Aren't was a word I knew, so that might be what we were saying, especially since I was pretty sure my father was not in Heaven, nor likely ever to get there, since he kept losing the car every time he went to the tavern.

3. Which reminds me of another thing I believed: that my father actually hung out with God. I got that idea because when I was very little I would go with my mother to church, and climb what seemed like a hundred stairs, way up into the choir loft, and sit there alone behind four or five ladies, listening to them sing, and I thought we must have climbed all the way up to heaven, because it sounded like I was listening to angels, and the smell of the incense, and the magical language of the priest, not a word of which I understood, because he was talking to God, Who it turned out just happened to be right there behind the altar, in that little golden chamber with the white drapes that was called the tabernacle. God is there in the tabernacle, my mother said, pointing down at it from high up in the choir loft. Well tabernacle was not a word we used around the house very much, but I had heard the word tavern quite a lot, since that's where my father spent so much time losing his car. So I figured that my father, who aren't in heaven, had to be hanging out in that tavernacle place with God - though it looked a bit small for the both of them, so I wasn't really sure.

OK, I hope you got the idea now. So let's hear some of your funny childhood beliefs. No particular rules, but this is meant to be amusing, not tragic, if you get my meaning.

The Undertoad.

When I was little and we went to the ocean to swim, my dad told me to stay close to shore because of The Undertoad. I figured it was a warty monster that lurked in deep water that would grab kids and pull them down. Ha. I was about 12 when I learned that he was talking about the undertow, and not The Undertoad.  :idiot:

There might be others. I was a credulous kid.

Katz

I thought mud in my yard looked like the inside of a milky way bar (chocolate bar)

So I ate some.

It was definitely mud  :laugh:

I thought mud in my yard looked like the inside of a milky way bar (chocolate bar)

So I ate some.

You might want to talk to our dear friend Begood.. -She at least baked it first.. A mud pie enthusiast from an early age if im not mistaken..

Ummmm.. Well I believed man actually went to the moon when little.. Well Tintin, Snowy, and Captain Haddock at least... -Now its a bit of a maybe, maybe not for me.. 

:)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2bmAEmaGGKEw_TJOX9vG3VR3zodwkHACLrA&usqp=CAU

So I ate some.

You might want to talk to our dear friend Begood.. -She at least baked it first.. A mud pie enthusiast from an early age if im not mistaken..

Ummmm.. Well I believed man actually went to the moon when little.. Well Tintin, Snowy, and Captain Haddock at least... -Now its a bit of a maybe, maybe not for me.. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2bmAEmaGGKEw_TJOX9vG3VR3zodwkHACLrA&usqp=CAU

We lived on a very secluded street, that did not have paved roads or sidewalks, and across from our house was a big field that many used for growing veggies etc with my Grandmothers OK. There was a big hill behind the growing area, and at that time to a very young child it was a big mountain..my brothers loved Cowboy shows and the more Indians the better, but I was scared to death of the "Injun's" that is what I called them. So when I was outside playing I could barely look at that Mountain, I was sure I heard the War Cries and the horses galloping, and was just sure that at any moment they would come racing down the Mountain and get me. As I got older, I knew it was unfounded fear, and I came to love that Hill and would climb it and sit on the top...I even could hear distance War Cries, if the wind was just right, otherwise a rippling river below and a blue sky above, that seemed to have etchings of Indian Warriors.  :)

We lived on a very secluded street, that did not have paved roads or sidewalks, and across from our house was a big field that many used for growing veggies etc with my Grandmothers OK. There was a big hill behind the growing area, and at that time to a very young child it was a big mountain..my brothers loved Cowboy shows and the more Indians the better, but I was scared to death of the "Injun's" that is what I called them. So when I was outside playing I could barely look at that Mountain, I was sure I heard the War Cries and the horses galloping, and was just sure that at any moment they would come racing down the Mountain and get me. As I got older, I knew it was unfounded fear, and I came to love that Hill and would climb it and sit on the top...I even could hear distance War Cries, if the wind was just right, otherwise a rippling river below and a blue sky above, that seemed to have etchings of Indian Warriors.  :)

I keep my “Injun” safely locked under the bonnet of my car.. -along with all the “wild horses” (HP) and their noisy “talk” (torque)..

I keep my “Injun” safely locked under the bonnet of my car.. -along with all the “wild horses” (HP) and their noisy “talk” (torque)..

:D

When I was little I used to think if you hide under the covers ghost couldn't see you. I thought those bumps in the night was ghost roaming around. I just fen prayed to God ( the Holy Ghost) to chase them away. As I grew older I realized those sounds was just the sounds old houses make. The reason I heard them at night is because of the total quiet. I started paying attention and discovered the floors creaked, Windows rattled and the other sounds happened in the day too.

Then I was mad at myself for being a scardy cat for nothing! Especially since I talked to the ghost asking them to leave me alone one night.  :laugh: I tried to make deals with them and everything! No wonder they never kept their end of the bargain....it was the old house creaking.  :laugh:

As a child, I thought that people who spoke different languages had different ears.

I figured it was up to what ears we had as to which sounds would make sense, and which wouldn't. For example, as I had ears like my parents and local community, we could understand each other. People with different ears made strange sounds and seemed to understand and be understood only by other people with the same type of ears.  :laugh:

I can't remember when I figured it out, but I sort of miss the simplicity of that idea. Learning foreign languages has never been easy for me; fun, but difficult.