Do you have a daily (sanity) routine during healing?

[Ro...]

Hi all,

It’s occurred to me how much it helps me to stick to a sort of daily routine, particularly my morning routine. Even when I am feeling rotten, perhaps especially then, it’s become fundamental to me. I don’t go too hard on myself because some days it’s just so much harder than others, but I just notice this and I don’t stick to any rigid type of thing. I just make sure to show up and try to do each of these things as best as I can. I also want to note that I worked up to many of them, if you don’t have a routine you could choose one thing you want to do each morning. I thought I would detail mine here for inspiration and would love to hear what you all do to stay as sane and well as you can during all of this.

Here goes

*Wake up...often mess around on my phone until I can pull myself out of bed  :laugh:

*Drink a quart of purified, warm lemon water

*Make the bed for daytime (I find it helps to switch to a day bed kind of mode)

*Sit for ten minutes in silent meditation, doing deep breathing for a count of 4 in nose and out through mouth (sometimes in bed, but I try to get up if possible).

*Dry brush my body and bathe

*Put on day pajamas (important!! Haha)

*Have a balanced breakfast with fat and proteins and fiber

*Take supplements (mostly food based ones, had to work up to this).

*Journal a bit

By then it’s about 11 and I just chill out until lunch. Maybe watch videos, color, read on the internet or a book if I can focus. But this simple morning routine, which I show up for no matter how hard it feels or is, and no matter what really helps me to stabilize and stay grounded. I’ve been dealing with mislabeled chronic illness for about seven years now (due to benzos and other meds) and having a daily flow is so important to my sanity even when I’m losing it from symptoms. I find I need a little schedule to rely on when everything else is haywire, and also when it’s not. So many of us can’t work and have so much time to sit in our suffering it becomes even more unbearable.

At this point...

*Balanced healthy lunch

*Afternoon walk (some days it’s just a lap or a few around my outdoor space)

Then more rest and

*healthy dinner.

*I take CBD oil before sleep and try to sleep at around 10pm. Even if it takes forever to fall asleep.

I also try to drink half my body weight in good, pure water daily to stay hydrated.

What about you?

Wow ur routine is great rose x I just know I have to keep busy as soon as I get up. So I make some tea, read the news then it’s getting kids off to school and then I walk for an hr or 30 mins if I’m not doing well that day. I try to get as much sunlight as possible. Then I do a couple of hours of housework, I go for a swim at the beach then pick my kids up and usually back to the beach or to sport. Then I read or watch movies after dinner. I have 3 kids so I have to take them to sport/therapy/work/play dates constantly! So as much as my routine isn’t as structured my days are full as long as I’m not in the belly of the benzo beast. I try very hard on those bad days to do all my things but on some of the bad days I have to lay in bed and just rest. But I fight that as much as I can because I am soooo sick of being in my house!

I think being busy and distracted definitely helps x

Yes, I do a daily “power mix” every morning beginning with a cup of coffee followed by a cup of matcha green tea and listening to worship music, then breathing exercises while listening to worship music, then Qi gong (while listening to worship music), then reading scripture while listening to worship music.

I then move to mindfulness meditation using the Calm App. I spent March - October mostly in my backyard, except when forced to stay inside by smoke from fires, 100+ heat, and biting insects. In November it became too cold to outside. I miss my garden, but can now meditate almost anywhere.

I’m doing really well right now at the end of my taper. I truly believe that my morning practice has been key to my recovery by the grace of God.

I can't do strict routine. Maybe one day.

However, I have been developing some sort of structure which is not something I am renowned for. Yeah, it definitely helps.

I usually read if I'm awake in the early hours. Limiting screen time.

Cold shower or cold bath.

I do Wim Hof breathing method, once or twice per day.

Pushups. As many as I can find the strength for in one sitting every day, as long as I'm not sore. I'm starting out so it's not many yet. Could only manage a feeble 6 at first, now at 14.

I walk nearly every day, longer walks once or twice per week perhaps more in summer. Sometimes with my shirt off for cold exposure therapy. I'm not an exhibitionist but I'm not not doing it because people give funny looks. Funny!

I don't do things in the same order every day but I usually do all this before lunch. It's my favourite part of the day. My energy drops off significantly from mid-afternoon whether I am active in the earlier part of the day or not, so I make the most of it.

This is such a big improvement for me. I don't really like to plan ahead, so traditionally I am known by friends and family for being chaotic in nature. However, I am reaping the benefits of some more structure and dare I say discipline. I'll never be bound by routine like some people but I'm seeing the benefit of greater consistency from day to day, that is for sure.

This is all wonderful! Definitely good not to be too rigid and go with the flow. I once  heard discipline explained as being devoted to something. It helped me see it more gently, as in being devoted to my healing and well-being. This helped me continue my daily practices or come back when I fall off.

• 3 months later...
Wow, I have come a long way since I wrote the post above. I was doing well then but now I am starting to gain strength. You're so right about what discipline means. Thanks for the encouragement.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I have come a long way since I wrote the post above. I was doing well then but now I am starting to gain strength. You're so right about what discipline means. Thanks for the encouragement.

So glad to hear this! I remember how much you were suffering. Sending you love!