Help! Did the hospital set me back?! Gave me ativan on top of my Valium!

[In...]

I had to go to the ER for some heart related issues. I was having some AFib episodes.  They had to give me 1mg of Ativan to ensure it was/wasn’t my heart, by getting it to slow down (I was very anxious).  I’ve been tapering at 5% a month from 20mg now down to 11.1325mg of VALIUM a day.  Will the 1mg of Ativan set me back a lot?  I didn’t want it, but he said he had to get me calm and I couldn’t do it myself.  Just wondering if I should go back up a little to even it out, stay my course or what.  I know Ativan leaves your body quicker, but I essentially took 2x my daily dose of benzos because of it.  Please help!  Just left the hospital and headed home.  Thanks!  I just don’t want to find myself in benzo hell in a day or two, if I can help it.  I’m okay DLMT slow so I can function. Just not sure what this is going to do....

I had to go to the ER for some heart related issues. I was having some AFib episodes.  They had to give me 1mg of Ativan to ensure it was/wasn’t my heart, by getting it to slow down (I was very anxious).  I’ve been tapering at 5% a month from 20mg now down to 11.1325mg of VALIUM a day.  Will the 1mg of Ativan set me back a lot?  I didn’t want it, but he said he had to get me calm and I couldn’t do it myself.  Just wondering if I should go back up a little to even it out, stay my course or what.  I know Ativan leaves your body quicker, but I essentially took 2x my daily dose of benzos because of it.  Please help!  Just left the hospital and headed home.  Thanks!  I just don’t want to find myself in benzo hell in a day or two, if I can help it.  I’m okay DLMT slow so I can function. Just not sure what this is going to do....

one-off doses of benzos for med procedures (or any other reason) will have no effect on your taper.

one-off doses of benzos for med procedures (or any other reason) will have no effect on your taper.

Thank you!!!!  I already feel bad, and that was making me worry more!  You’re a true Gem! 

Just an FYI...

1) Ashton says one-off doses for med procedures will not be a problem

2)  During my taper a had a colonoscopy ("twilight" sedation ), 2 oral surgeries (1 light sedation, 1 total sedation). and a 3 hour hand surgery (total sedation).  All involved major doses of benzos, and none caused any problems.

Just an FYI...

2)  During my taper a had a colonoscopy ("twilight" sedation ), 2 oral surgeries (1 light sedation, 1 total sedation). and a 3 hour hand surgery (total sedation).  All involved major doses of benzos, and none caused any problems.

That’s definitely good to know.  I need to have 3 surgeries.  I feel better knowing I can have them if needed. Rotator cuff, foot and hernia.  Thanks. 

Just an FYI...

That’s definitely good to know.  I need to have 3 surgeries.  I feel better knowing I can have them if needed. Rotator cuff, foot and hernia.  Thanks.

You should be fine!

I also have had rotator cuff surgery (3 of them), colonoscopy, scalenectomy and dental work done with no benzos.  I didn't feel I needed them and the staff and doctors respected my wishes.

pianogirl  :smitten: