Plan for DLMT 40 MGS Valium? Currently on 2mgs of K.

[Qu...]

I'm going to see the new doc Monday, and while I'm still going to wait to begin tapering again for another 3 weeks after my dissasterous C/T  and reinstatement, I was wondering if someone (builder?) could help me to plan a DLMT for 40 mgs valium?  I crashed and burned last time on Klon so I want to go slow this time and I would like to present a plan to the new doc (and to myself!) that makes sense. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I'm debating if I should stick with Klonopin since that's what I took for 10 years and reinstated on, but I read such horrible stuff about it. Can anyone give me any feedback on whether I should switch or not? I don't want to screw this up again from why own lack of information. Everything is so confusing to me and I'm really scared. thanks!

Librium is another option if people thought that might be a good choice.

Personally, I have reservations about the benefits of a K to V crossover.  Both are long half-life benzos anyway.  And while both have their disadvantages, many folks find V excessively sedating and more depressant.

But regardless of your decision about a crossover, a daily liquid microtaper works about the same for most all benzos.

1)  You choose a taper rate/time frame.  Ex 5%/14 days

2)  You prepare a 10-14 day supply of liquid by combining tablets + solvent + water in a ratio of 1mg:2ml:8ml (.1mg=1ml).*

3)  Based on the taper rate in #1, write up a planned dosing schedule.

Then you just draw the scheduled dose(s) from the supply, and take as scheduled, just as you would any liquid med from the pharmacy.

*  If you choose to go with the V crossover, there is an Rx liquid V.  It comes as a 1mg=1ml full strength, and can also easily be diluted 9:1 to make the same .1mg=1ml solution.

Thank you builder. If I stick with Klonopin would I need a solvent?  Or is milk fine?

Also, if my daily dose is 2mgs (.5 mg pills)  And I wanted to do a 10 day supply would that be

(.5*4*10)=20mgs+200ml milk? for 10 days total?

Thank you builder. If I stick with Klonopin would I need a solvent?  Or is milk fine?

Also, if my daily dose is 2mgs (.5 mg pills)  And I wanted to do a 10 day supply would that be

(.5*4*10)=20mgs+200ml milk? for 10 days total?

There are 3 solvents that are well know to work...propylene glycol, alcohol (vodka) and fatty (lipid) emulsion like milk.

If you use milk (or similar),  the formula is even simpler (you do not need to add water)  So if you do milk, the formula would just be .5mg X 4 (2mgs) + 20mls milk (.1mg=1ml_ or + 200ml .01mg=1ml).

The major limitation with milk is perisihability, so to do a 10 day supply, you would need to insure you were starting with fresh milk.

I really don't discourage "milk tapers", they work.  But they are a little less convenient than PG or vodka.

I was also wondering about how to affect the taper. Let’s say you take the med 4 times per day to avoid interdose withdrawal, if you decrease your amount for one of those doses and then take the rest as pills, won’t you eventually end up with one longer period in between doses when that pill is fully tapered? Would it make sense to taper all the pills at once and end them all simultaneously?

1) IMO, because they both have long half-lives, there is no reason either one need more than 2X day.  And the real reason V  is normally Rx at 2X day is NOT about maintaining level blood concentrations, it because it spreads that powerful sedation over 2 dose, instead of one big hit.

2)  With a liquid taper, you can easily spread your doses over any combinations you feel are appropriate.  And even if you do a combo of tablets + liquid,  you hsve great flexibility scheduling your doses.

Remember, with liquid, you can easily measure out .01 (one/one hundredth) milligram, , or even .001 (one/one thousandths) of a milligram.  How you want to schedule your taper, or spread your doses, is almost limitless.

Thanks again builder. At that rate of 5% I’m looking at a 3 yearish taper. Of course I could go faster depending on symptoms but are there negatives to going so slowly that are common or that I should consider?

The only negative of going slow is it takes longer.

Every taper should be symptom based, and adjusted to match the individal's personal recovery rate.  The 5%/14 day schedule is a very conservative rate that meany folks start with.  It is not cast in stone and everyone should try to work out the best rate for themseslves.

BTW, it took me 2 years to get off of 9mg V.  I probably could have gone a little faster, but I had only very minor, occasion sxs, so "slow" was a good tradeoff for me.