Help with Liquid prescription Valium

[An...]

I currently take 1.5mg at 8 a.m. and 1 mg at noon. Would I still be able to do micro doses without diluting it?

Yes, dosing would look like this reducing .01ml per day:

1.5ml      1ml

1.49ml    1ml

1.49ml    .99ml

1.48ml    .99ml

1.48ml    .98ml

Just alternate which dose you reduce .01 from each day (if that is the rate you are going to reduce)

Bella Amis,

Do people taper successfully using the liquid diazepam without diluting it? I'm still on 2.5 after updosing and I want to take it really slowly. I was dry cutting and I'm scared of doing that again. I was thinking the liquid diazepam because the diluting I find too complicated. Again my question, do many people come off successfully with the liquid diazepam without diluting it? Thank you, hope you get to read this. I'm sure you will know as you're a senior moderator.

Hi valiumnomore!

Yes, I for one did not dilute and successfully tapered. I know of many others as well. Valium is not as concentrated as Xanax or Klonopin. There really is no need to dilute liquid Valium other than palatability. My opinion is why mess with a perfectly formulated solution if it is not necessary. Kind of like "if it's not broke, don't fix it". Also,it is my opinion that adjusting ones dose any more or less than .01mg of Valium is not necessary due to the extended half life and that it is unlikely that one would actually "feel" the difference between a reduction of .01mg V and .005mg V.

I currently take 1.5mg at 8 a.m. and 1 mg at noon. Would I still be able to do micro doses without diluting it?

Yes, dosing would look like this reducing .01ml per day:

1.5ml      1ml

1.49ml    1ml

1.49ml    .99ml

1.48ml    .99ml

1.48ml    .98ml

Just alternate which dose you reduce .01 from each day (if that is the rate you are going to reduce)

Bella Amis,

Do people taper successfully using the liquid diazepam without diluting it? I'm still on 2.5 after updosing and I want to take it really slowly. I was dry cutting and I'm scared of doing that again. I was thinking the liquid diazepam because the diluting I find too complicated. Again my question, do many people come off successfully with the liquid diazepam without diluting it? Thank you, hope you get to read this. I'm sure you will know as you're a senior moderator.

Hi valiumnomore!

Yes, I for one did not dilute and successfully tapered. I know of many others as well. Valium is not as concentrated as Xanax or Klonopin. There really is no need to dilute liquid Valium other than palatability. My opinion is why mess with a perfectly formulated solution if it is not necessary. Kind of like "if it's not broke, don't fix it". Also,it is my opinion that adjusting ones dose any more or less than .01mg of Valium is not necessary due to the extended half life and that it is unlikely that one would actually "feel" the difference between a reduction of .01mg V and .005mg V.

Bella, I love your answer, it makes so much sense! I was afraid of making a solution and making mistakes. OK if I every really stabilize I will start with that ;) Thank you.

Bella, I love your answer, it makes so much sense! I was afraid of making a solution and making mistakes. OK if I every really stabilize I will start with that ;) Thank you.

You are welcome! Try not to worry about making mistakes. Valium is really forgiving, mistakes can be easily corrected :thumbsup:

You are welcome! Try not to worry about making mistakes. Valium is really forgiving, mistakes can be easily corrected :thumbsup:

:smitten:

• 2 months later...

How long does the 5mg/5ml liquid valium stay stable once it is mixed with water?

Well, its actually a "dilute solution" when it comes from the mfgr.  It has a 3 year shelf life from the mfgr.  And diluting it further has absolutely no effect on stability, efficacy, potency, etc.  It just change the concentration ratio.

But I always suggest a 10-14 day batch (for other reasons)  I absolutely guarantee there will be no degradation over a 14 day period.

How long does the 5mg/5ml liquid valium stay stable once it is mixed with water?

Well, its actually a "dilute solution" when it comes from the mfgr.  It has a 3 year shelf life from the mfgr.  And diluting it further has absolutely no effect on stability, efficacy, potency, etc.  It just change the concentration ratio.

But I always suggest a 10-14 day batch (for other reasons)  I absolutely guarantee there will be no degradation over a 14 day period.

We are unaware that tests of either potency or stability of the liquid that is produced by diluting prescription diazepam have been conducted.  Would you please provide us with more information regarding what methods were used including what specific tests were conducted by what individuals/labs as well as a summary of the results?

The only way to accurately test for degradation is by HPLC which is not readily available to laypeople.

Thank you. The pharmacist said according to manufacturer it has to be used immediately when mixed with water.

I think I would trust what the pharmacist said.  That is my personal opinion.

I contacted the manufacturer and the person I spoke with did not have an answer for me but was going to do further research and hopefully have an answer in a few days.

My pharmacist had never supplied the liquid diazepam/valium to anyone before.  Two pharmacists that I spoke to had no experience with it.  My psychiatrist had never prescribed it, nor had the other doctor in his practice. 

This type of tapering seems to be beyond most of them.  Look at the recent CNN special where a patient was told by her doctor to cut her dose 25% a week over a period of 4 weeks and then stop taking it.  She wound up in very bad acute withdrawal that stopped within an hour after she took a dose of valium that she was prescribed by another doctor.  And from there she began a slow liquid taper.  If we were limited to what most doctors, pharmacists, and drug company's said or know, we would be suffering horribly. 

Dr. Ashton herself later concluded that a slower rate than what she had originally wrote about in her book might be better for most people. In a paper that I believe she wrote in 2005 she concluded that a slower rate might be better for most people. 

https://www.benzo.org.uk/amisc/ashdiag.pdf On p. 4 under the heading of "Therapeutic dose users" she wrote:

"Benzodiazepine dosage should be tapered gradually since abrupt withdrawal, especially from high doses, can precipitate convulsions, acute psychotic states and other severe reactions (Table 3). The recommended rate of tapering for patients on therapeutic doses of benzodiazepine is withdrawal in steps of about one-eighth to one-tenth of the daily dose every 1–2 weeks."

Some of us have found that rate is too aggressive with sxs that are too intense, hence we may taper by 5% or less every 10 days-2 weeks.

Tapering by this small percentage is impossible once you get to lower doses.  Hence people have developed daily liquid micro-tapering, which allows these smaller cuts to easily be made.  In order to do that it is necessary to dilute the liquid diazepam/valium, or the valium solution which some people create.

I have been making larger batches and drawing from it on a daily basis and found that it is easier than to trying to draw a relatively small amount of liquid valium in a syringe and mix it with water on a daily basis.  I have not noticed a difference in potency. 

I mix 20 ml of liquid diazepam/valium with 180 ml of water, keep in in a sealed jar in a cabinet, and draw my daily doses from this mix.  I use a 10 ml syringe to draw the liquid valium and water to spray it into the jar that holds the mix.  I dose from this on a daily basis using the 10 ml syringe and a 1 ml syringe.  The 10 ML syringe that has markings down to .2ml.  If the liquid valium was undiluted I could only make cuts by .2 mg.  But diluted I can make cuts  by .02 mg.  By adding a 1 ml syringe, I can easily make cuts of .01 ml, which translates to 1/100 of a mg of valium.  This works better for a daily liquid micro taper.  Diluting it makes the final mix more forgiving of minor mistakes.  If I am off in my measurements with the syringe, I am off at worst by 1/100 of a mg or 2/100 of a mg.

Tapering by this small percentage is impossible once you get to lower doses.  Hence people have developed daily liquid micro-tapering, which allows these smaller cuts to easily be made.  In order to do that it is necessary to dilute the liquid diazepam/valium, or the valium solution which some people create.

There it is folks!  In one brief, concise paragraph!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I dont think I am adjusting well to the liquid Valium. I currently switched .5mg of my dose for the equivalent of .5mg liquid and that was a week and half ago and have noticed an uptick in symptoms especially  anxiety, I even updosed a little bit but not sure that s helping.  I know some people dont adjust well to the commercial liquid.  Maybe I'm  sensitive to the die or other chemicals in it. Not sure, or this could be a wave I was going to have anyway and not related to the liquid transition.

I'm thinking I should go back to all pill and make my own liquid with milk. 

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

I dont think I am adjusting well to the liquid Valium. I currently switched .5mg of my dose for the equivalent of .5mg liquid and that was a week and half ago and have noticed an uptick in symptoms especially  anxiety, I even updosed a little bit but not sure that s helping.  I know some people dont adjust well to the commercial liquid.  Maybe I'm  sensitive to the die or other chemicals in it. Not sure, or this could be a wave I was going to have anyway and not related to the liquid transition.

I'm thinking I should go back to all pill and make my own liquid with milk. 

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Are you diluting it with 9 units of water for each 1 unit of liquid Valium?  That helps with the sensitivity because undiluted the liquid is harsh.

When I did my liquid Valium crossover I was at 6 mg of valium  using three 2 mg pills once a day.  I had been making dry cuts of .5mg and holding with the pills.  The SXS had gotten to be too much, which is why I switched over.

I switched to taking 5 mgs of valium by pills and 1 mg of valium by liquid.  I encountered some symptoms as though I had made a dry cut.  I then held a few weeks to make sure I was stable, and then switched to 2 mg of liquid valium and 4 mg of valium by pills.  When I switched a second mg from pills to liquid I barely felt it at all.

When I tapered down to 5 mg of valium--which was 1 mg by liquid and 4 mgs by pills--I switched over to 2 mgs by liquid and 3 mgs by pills.  That is how I proceeded. 

Yes, I think you may need more time.  Everyone is different.  When I went from 6 mg of valium by pills to 5 mg of valium by pills and 1 mg of valium by liquid, it took me like 3 or 4 weeks before my body adjusted.  Then I switched over to 4 mg of valium by pills and 2 mg of valium by liquid and barely felt it.

It has been worth it to allow me to micro taper, or at least make much smaller cuts than I could accurately do by splitting 2 mg pills in quarters.