2 years free -- doing awesome.

[br...]

Hey guys,

I used to hang around here during my taper, and after my 2 year benzo free date came and went I thought I would post an update.

The short of it is: I'm doing great. I travel regularly, including long airplane rides which used to give me tremendous anxiety. I ski, I go the gym, I drive. I drink espresso and eat chocolate, both of which used to send me hurtling into a sea of DP/DR. Basically all of my physical symptoms have resolved. I used to get life ruining headaches, muscle tension, ringing in ears, tight band around temples and calves, little to no appetite, extreme sensitivities to sugar and caffeine.

My other deeply bothersome symptom was depersonalization which lasted on/off for about 18 months after I jumped, gradually lessening in severity until it all but left completely. I still get a twinge of this when I walk into a crowded space like a restaurant, especially if it's noisy. But it's not something that affects my life much at all at this point.

My memory and vocabulary have returned. My cognitive and reasoning abilities have returned, as have my attetion span and interest in things I used to love. I can read books again. I'm writing songs and practicing music.

I could go on and on about all the ways in which my life has gotten better since I got off the merry go round from hell that was klonopin, but I guess all I really want to say is this:

You will be ok.

Taper slowly, and believe in your body's ability to heal. The truth is, it will heal underneath whatever it is you feel and whatever it is you fear. Isn't that comforting to know?

I wasn't someone who had an easy time tapering. I am naturally a little high strung, kinda nervous, easily prone to anxiety. This, plus one initial unsuccessful attempt led to a fearful experience tapering. I wish I could go back and tell myself to go easy, that everything would be ok.

Short of that, and since I don't own a Deloreon, I want to communicate that same thing to all taperers out there. You're gonna be ok.

Love from the other side.

You got this.

:-)

-Brooklyn

Hey Brooklyn! Thanks for coming back and congrats for getting to the other side! Yay! Keep striving and living! Much love.

• 5 years later...
  • 3 months later...