Today is 6 years free. It gets better.

[Ma...]

Just a quick check-in with everyone.  I've not been around for a while.

You can search my prior posts and read about my horrifying experiences during withdrawal.  And how bonkers I was with finding answers to explain what was going on with me.

Anyway ... Today is my 6 year anniversary.  I've been benzo-free since December 2, 2010.  And what a wild ride the early months and years were!  But since that time, I've resumed my normal life.  Flights all over the planet again.  Travel for work.  Socializing with friends.  Restaurants.  Relationships.  All back to normal.

But gang ... Please do a few things if you are still having a hard time:

- Seek competent medical care for yourself where prudent and wise.

- Treat yourself to the things that make you happy.

- Talk with others about your feelings.

- Don't obsess over things and for goodness sake don't believe everything you read online.

- Eat well and choose healthful foods that provide you with the nutrition you need.

- Take it easy and don't punish yourself.  Sometimes things are out of your control. Accept that.

You are the most important person.  You deserve good things.  You just need to attend to the entire picture.  Humans are complex so don't go it alone but realize that everyone is different.

Before you know it, you'll be writing your own success story.

But since that time, I've resumed my normal life.  Flights all over the planet again.  Travel for work.  Socializing with friends.  Restaurants.  Relationships.  All back to normal.

Oh, this is what I love to hear especially! It sounds wonderful to me, and I'm so happy for you!

The "all back to normal" is music to my ears!

Thank you for coming back and telling us. We here hang on every word. We love to hear that there's hope!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi Matthew,

Congratulations on being 6 years off, and thanks for posting this success story!  The advice is great, and the only thing I'd add is self-distraction is key, especially while one is in the thick of things.  I'll be 5 years off in a few months, it's hard to believe it's been that long.

:smitten:

[5b...]

Congratulations, Matthew!  Thanks for posting this great Success Story - it really gives hope to those of us still struggling in the early months and years!

:smitten:

Great post! Thanks so much for coming back to tell us about it. This kind of thing is manna for the soul for those who are struggling.

Congratulations to you and best wishes!

• 6 years later...

You wrote this on your last 5 year update:

My 0 to 6 months were "OK."  The full withdrawal experience hadn't kicked in yet.  Odd, I know.

My 6 months to 18 months were pure HELL.

My 18 months to 36 months were better but I struggled.

My 36 months to 48 months were even better yet, with only minor annoyances here and there.

My 48 months to today are very good.

->

Can you add anything to that ?

At which month were you 100 % healed ?