Open Group  ·  65 members

Music Lovers

Classical and Opera

[re...]

I've posted many classical pieces on my blog over the years, and I was about to post a couple more.
But then I thought, why not start a thread for this? There must be one or two other budz who enjoy this kind of music
and would like to post their own favorites.

So I'll get the ball rolling with these.

Feel free to post your own favorites, but remember: classical and opera only.
No country, no rock, no pop. There are plenty of other threads for that.

[4a...]

Wow, thanks Evan – what a great idea!

Can't seem to post a clickable pic from my iPhone, but here's one I could not listen to until I passed the five week mark because it made me cry too much:

"The Adagio in G minor for violin, strings, and organ continuo is a neo-Baroque composition popularly attributed to the 18th-century Venetian master Tomaso Albinoni, but actually composed by 20th-century musicologist and Albinoni biographer Remo Giazotto, purportedly based on the discovery of a manuscript fragment by Albinoni. There is a continuing scholarly debate about whether the alleged fragment was real, or a musical hoax perpetrated by Giazotto, but there is no doubt about Giazotto's authorship of the remainder of the work."

Here's another performance conducted by the great Herbert von Karajan:

~ WARNING: Apocalyptic slideshow may be triggering ~

Edit: Added second link

Wow, thanks Evan – what a great idea!

Can't seem to post a clickable pic from my iPhone, but here's one I could not listen to until I passed the five week mark because it made me cry too much:

"The Adagio in G minor for violin, strings, and organ continuo is a neo-Baroque composition popularly attributed to the 18th-century Venetian master Tomaso Albinoni, but actually composed by 20th-century musicologist and Albinoni biographer Remo Giazotto, purportedly based on the discovery of a manuscript fragment by Albinoni. There is a continuing scholarly debate about whether the alleged fragment was real, or a musical hoax perpetrated by Giazotto, but there is no doubt about Giazotto's authorship of the remainder of the work."

Wonderful. I know this piece well. Even if Remo Giazotto actually composed this himself (as he later "admitted"), it would be wrong to call it a "hoax". It's a first-rate composition. If Albinoni didn't compose it, he certainly wishes he had.

What a great idea for a thread Redevan.  :thumbsup:

Can I post a link to one? I know it isn't really considered classical but it's very beautiful to my ears.

It's Richard Addinsell's "Warsaw Concerto" which he wrote for the film "Dangerous Moonlight" from the 1940s.

This version is performed by Liberace. It's pretty awesome.

Thanks!

Chin

What a great idea for a thread Redevan.  :thumbsup:

Can I post a link to one? I know it isn't really considered classical but it's very beautiful to my ears.

It's Richard Addinsell's "Warsaw Concerto" which he wrote for the film "Dangerous Moonlight" from the 1940s.

This version is performed by Liberace. It's pretty awesome.

Thanks!

Chin

Good one, and "classical" enough for this thread.

In describing the kind of music to post on this thread, I wasn't using "classical" in the strict sense, but in the looser sense that most people understand. You know, music in the classical tradition. But it doesn't have to be old to be "classical" on this thread.

sddefault.jpg
THE BEST OF CHOPIN

Yes! I love Chopin and recently spent 5 hours listening to the Chopin International Piano Competition finals in Warsaw via YouTube. It was great and a teenage N. Korean won as the first from that country. I think the Canadian should have won but he was using a Yamaha instead of a Steinway. Duh!

I love that one Red, but also this one. Rafal is the best Chopin pianist

Chopin Fantaisie Impromto

Yundi Li is pretty good too. I actually was watching that video last night.

He's from a family of factory workers in Szechuan. Amazing talent.

Evan: They say he is the best pianist in China and I believe it. yes~~Amazing. He also won that Chopin competition in Poland years ago.

Mozart's Requiem

Berlioz Symphony Fantastique

Bruch Violin Concerto

Rachmaninoff Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini but pretty much anything he every wrote

Just a few of my favs. I don't know how to link recordings though.

Mozart's Requiem

Berlioz Symphony Fantastique

Bruch Violin Concerto

Rachmaninoff Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini but pretty much anything he every wrote

Just a few of my favs. I don't know how to link recordings though.

OK then, how about this:

hqdefault.jpg?custom=true&w=210&h=118&st
Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini
in A-minor for Piano and Orchestra
Op. 43 by Sergei Rachmaninoff
Philadelphia Orchestra
Pianist: Sergei Rachmaninoff
Conductor: Leopold Stokowski
Recorded: December 24, 1934.