Sedation Drugs for Procedures

[Ge...]

It appears I might need to undergo a colonoscopy. Do any of you have experience or advice as to the effects of the drugs that are used to calm, sedate, or even put you to sleep for various medical procedures (during the withdrawal phase of Klonopin or other benzo drugs)?

Often doctors prescribe a benzo prior to the procedure. During the procedure, IV drugs that cause sedation are usually used. In more intense procedures such as surgeries, anethesia is used.

I'm wondering about the risks both short term and long term as well as the affects it might have on the whole withdrawal complex. Also, keep in mind that I am very sensitive to many medications.

Many people have been given benzos in a one/off situation for a medical procedure with no ill effects. I'm sure some of them will comment here.

For myself, benzos are listed as allergy on my medical chart. I don't feel I need them preop, and I sadly have had a lot of surgical 'experience' due to a bad shoulder. I'm usually given propofol which I tolerate well.  Preop I'm sometimes given a very small dose of fentanyl.  My requests for no benzos are always honored. d

pianogirl  :smitten:

You can say you don’t want the benzo and they won’t give it to you. The anesthesia won’t set you back with your taper. You might feel jittery or bad from it, but it is not linked to your taper in any way. Just say you can’t take the benzo :3