Do SSRIs make symptoms worse?

[De...]

Hi there. I've been off Klonopin for almost 2 months, and it's the most difficult thing I've ever been through (I've been through heavy opiate withdrawal and this is worse). My doctor (who originally prescribed the Klonopin for years and who also said that there wouldn't be any problem getting off of it!) put me on antidepressants and it seems to be exacerbating my condition, especially with the intrusive thoughts and the OCD like symptoms. Has anyone had experience with this?

My gut is telling me to stop taking the antidepressants, but I'm not sure if I should, considering my addled state of mind.

I think it really depends on the severity of your withdrawal.  For people with mild to moderate withdrawal, I think they can probably be pretty helpful.  If your withdrawal is severe, and let’s face it, most of us on this board are here because of severe withdrawal, they can absolutely make things worse.  They sure did in my case. 

I have two failed withdrawal attempts under my belt (made it 10 months benzo free both times) and I attribute a lot of that to being an idiot and trying lots of medications.  If I hadn’t been put on Vybriid after the first time I jumped, I’m quite convinced my withdrawal would have been tough but otherwise pretty manageable.  Brain becomes hypersensitized after getting off benzos and SSRIs can be too activating and really push brain chemistry.  For me, they made me more restless, agitated and anxious but neither my doctor or me really realized it because they are “safe.”

What SSRI are you taking and what dose?  It can be tough getting off medications while already in benzo withdrawal.  Maybe simply a dose reduction can provide some answers rather than stopping them altogether. 

• 1 month later...

Hi there. I've been off Klonopin for almost 2 months, and it's the most difficult thing I've ever been through (I've been through heavy opiate withdrawal and this is worse). My doctor (who originally prescribed the Klonopin for years and who also said that there wouldn't be any problem getting off of it!) put me on antidepressants and it seems to be exacerbating my condition, especially with the intrusive thoughts and the OCD like symptoms. Has anyone had experience with this?

My gut is telling me to stop taking the antidepressants, but I'm not sure if I should, considering my addled state of mind.

This is an old post, just wondered how you were doing now, are you still on SSRI’s. Which ones are you on.