Gabapentin Taper Schedule

[Ho...]

Hello, I hope someone can help me. I was on gabapentin at 100 mg x1 at night for 4 months. Very sick from the beginning, but stuck with it hoping it would get better as doctors promised it would. Never did. Started on a slow taper dropping to 80mg x1 at night for 1 1/2 months. Then went on fast taper and dropped to 50mg x1 at night in 8 days. I am very sick with withdrawals. Nausea, foggy headed, anxiety, extreme headache/migraine, flu like symptoms, burning sensation all over my body, numbing and tingling, and now my entire body has internal vibrations and my hands have tremors. is this normal?  Went to ER, tons of tests later, everything is good, left there with a migraine cocktail. I am reading your feedback on taper and dosage, I believe I may have inter dose withdrawal since I only take the medication one time a day. Should I split the dose into to 3 and take it 3 x per day? Please someone respond. 

Although it’s not all that active, we have a gabapentin support group at:

Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=84267.0

You could try posting your question there or you might get ideas by reading through past posts.

You also might find it helpful to read this thread from SurvivingAntidepressants:

Tips for tapering off Neurontin (gabapentin)

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/2309-tips-for-tapering-off-neurontin-gabapentin/

I have/had all of those symptoms at least once during my taper of gaba.. for me it gets even worse the lower I get.

I drop 10 to 20mg once a week until I start to feel REALLY bad, then I hold for about a month and continue. I feel every single drop pretty harshly though.

Now that I'm at 200mg I'm going much more slowly. At the moment I'm holding at 200mg.. it looks like you weren't on that much or that long so that's a plus.

Breaking the dose up into multiple a day might also help you out a lot like breaking up your current dose into 2 or 3.

You'll most likely get over it fairly quick since you didn't take it for very long...

Turmeric helps me out a little with headaches. For everything else, I haven't really found anything that helps... I just have to ride it out as awful as that is. Magnesium Glycinate helps some people and it did help me a little, but wasn't worth it to me.

What dosages does gabapentin come in? I want to get off it.

I currently take 600mg.

I have 2 capsules.  300mg each.

800mg/600mg/300mg/200mg/100mg

I'd say the withdrawal with gaba gets way worse around the 300mg mark.. it starts to hit you like a truck with every drop.

• 3 weeks later...