Levaquin and Bactrim making me sick when I take Valium

[Bl...]

I went through a 5 day dose of Bactrim then a 10 day Levaquin dose and then a 20 day Bactrim antibiotic dose.  Now that the doses have ended if I take my original dose of valium I get very ill.  I had tapered down to 5mg over 4 months from as needed 10mg.  Now if I take any valium I start vomiting and experiencing insane withdrawal flu like symptoms when I dose.  I cut the valium dose down and no changes still get sick.  So I dont know if now would be the time to jump off Valium or not. I stay super ill if I do.  Last dose of Valium was 36 hours ago.  Cravings seem to be going down. 

How are you feeling today Blackwater, have you taken a dose yet?  I don't know the answer to your question but it scares me to think of you stopping at that high of a dose, let us know how you're doing, okay?

Hi Pamster I’m off still cold turkeyed off valium and my bp is good.  Blood sugar has been been good and my appetite is improving.  The sweating has went down at night for the first time and my worst time is always 5am till 8am.  No increases in my Norco and had a minor craving for 90 minutes this morning for the Valium.  My ears are feeling better, no sneezing attacks, and not as much runny nose. The membranes felt better today.  Throat is not as swollen and chest pains not bad.  No vomiting either which is wonderful plus not over salivating like a rabid dog.  The adrenal pressure is down.  I can watch TV now and play a few rock or disco tunes. 

Thanks for the support Pamster as it helps and means a lot. 

You sound pretty darn good Blackwater, so its been about 60 hours since you've take a dose?  Valium has a long half life so you're not out of the woods but I like the way this is going so far. 

Please keep checking in, I sure hope you can escape the Valium because you've been through enough.

88 hours since last dose.  Today exercised and appetite was down some.  I have fears about the jumping, but I can’t let them consume all my thoughts.  No ear problems or head pressure and body & muscle shakes are very low.  Sweating in small amounts happens if I think too much about what ifs or if I can remain functioning.  No vomiting as I get the feeling my cells are detoxing so hoping no cravings for Valium appear. 

I wonder if being benzo free and dealing with my social anxiety and fears will be easier.  Benzos were not helping me so why take something that is not making you function at a higher level.  The horror stories about jumping or coming off make you doubt if their is ever a correct time to jump or end your taper.  Floxing forced my hand as this no nausea thing is good.  I just wish that I wanted to eat more.  I wanted to sleep the day away, but that leaves me feeling like I wasted a day of life.  The idea of saying I’m benzo free and not interdose dependent or physically dependent a huge milestone. 

I see other people with healthy teeth, lovers/spouses, friends, and not consumed by their mental/physical health.  I know one thing in this battle of benzos/psychological meds not one situation or life fits all the same criterias.  Feels so good to let thoughts out and ideas knowing if I stumble then their is another day to pick up the pieces and try again.  I just don’t want to live in constant fear 24-7 and worry about unknown events and futures. 

I'm counting the hours with you Blackwater, hoping you'll be able to find your way out of this without too much pain.  I have to say I'm impressed with your words, you appear to be doing a lot of soul searching as well as looking for ways to stay positive, both are important while going through this.  We need to not only get through it but we must have a plan for the future and you're looking at both.  Most members find that their normal anxiety is much easier to deal with after going through the anxiety this process puts us through so hopefully you'll find the same to be true.  Besides that, the coping tools we learn while going through this are very helpful once benzo free.

The changes the drug made to your brain will take awhile to heal properly but I can see you've got your eye on the prize, to not be dependent this drug will give you a boost of confidence, its a wonderful feeling to know a tiny little pill doesn't control your life anymore. 

180 hours into this journey.  Today I just drip sweat with no fever.  I can also get cold very fast, but still drip.  The cravings for valium do not exist for the most part.  The appetite will just not pick up, benzo belly with constipation and severe fatigue are the worst. Probiotics have not healed my gut as I still have some floxed and antibiotic toxins.  I forced myself to get out of the house for 20 minutes of exercise.  Sleep is not easy so i lay down a lot and watch the rest of the world. 

I look out my window and try to keep the faith that I will enjoy eating again, I will be able to go to doctors and dentists without worrying I will vomit all over them, stop sweating all over them, etc…..  The poison will soon be out of my body to a degree. 

I haven’t cried today which is a miracle.  Reading the stories on kindling sound like a Stephen King bestseller that is non-fiction.  Watching TV even my favorites is not enjoyable.  Tinnunitis and head pressure come and go.  Thanks for all the support from my buddies.

It looks like you're in the thick of it Blackwater.  I know it feels like you'll never see the light of day again, this is what the drug does to us, it forces us to only see the negative, it douses any spark of hope.  Please know that recovery is possible, but it will likely take many months.  Your symptoms will wax and wane, some leaving only to come back, some morphing into others but gradually they'll begin to lessen as your brain recovers its normal function.

I quit cold turkey too and while I didn't have the misfortune of being floxxed, I know what you're going through.  If you can't do this, if its becomes too painful you might want to consider reinstatement, there's no guarantee you'll feel any better and tapering is no picnic but its an option if things become too bad. 

I'm so sorry for your pain.

Pamster thanks so much for the kind words.  The sweating usually only happens during my morning storm, but today it has not stopped.  I don’t have the valium cravings which would drive me bonkers until I took my dose.  The fear of overdose was always their also because of my prescription opiod so with no valium I don’t have to worry.  I don’t plan on upping my opiod dose.  I wish opiods had web groups for them like they do benzo buddies.  I’m hoping my gut and teeth can hang on, but the dentist around here see opiod and blame that for everything dental.  I’m just not a young one anymore.  Was hoping the teeth would give me some time to adjust to valium withdrawal, but I got some that are badly decayed plus no regular dentist.  I went out for a couple of hours and did really good this evening.  Day 9 tomorrow 😀

I can see taking Valium out of your equation has given you some peace of mind, and to tell you the truth, I'm glad you're not considering reinstating, I haven't seen that much success with it but feel I need to offer it as an option when members are so distressed.

I'm sorry about your teeth situation, it sounds like you're in a lot of pain, going to the dentist is so stressful and that stress can make our symptoms even more intense.

224 hours into this withdrawal and I got hit super hard at 3am like my brain exploded into a terror of high blood pressure, rapid heart rate, massive panic attack I guess?  My bowels and bladder became overactive all while it felt like an elephant was on my chest.  I was sweating, freezing, and my body was like limp.  My face is hot.  I never fell back asleep and was bedridden until a couple of hours ago.  Having a very hard time to eat.  I dont understand so much as I exercised for an hour yesterday.  I almost dosed but to see if anything would end the agony.  Mentally I’m not craving, but even though physically I don’t have the cravings I guess my nerves and receptors do.  I’m so lost on what to do.

I remember that elephant well, I'm so sorry you're facing the full wrath of your cold turkey.  When I quit Klonopin cold turkey it only took 3 days for my symptoms to show up but they got progressively more intense as the days went by but for as bad as it got, I was able to return to my fulltime job just 3 weeks later.  You're in acute withdrawal now and if you can push through it your symptoms will lessen, I can't say by how much or when it will happen, I can only provide my story as an example.  Pamster’s Success Story

You’re success story so inspirational Pamster.  I want to make it out of acute so bad.  The idea of trying to stabilize sounds good also, but the kindling stories scare me.  I know the floxing is making this harder for me.  I also have always felt like a loser thus the anxiety.  I feel like I failed myself and the whole world.  I have to love myself but never felt worthy.  Lawd I’m just spilling my guts out. I apologize a million times a day to my support person.  I just feel so ashamed and guilty.  It’s not a pity party, as I have lost everyone except one over fear and anxiety.

This is what the drug does to us, it only allows us to see and feel the negative, these are intrusive thoughts and they're a symptom.  This isn't you, and it won't be you when you recover, tell yourself this, say it out loud, drown out these thoughts.

You're doing the best thing you can for yourself and those you love and it's coming at great cost but its possible to get through this and come out on the other side.  You're going to be okay and if you decide you can't do push through the cold turkey, that you need to go back on and taper, then we'll support you, no judgement. 

• 2 weeks later...
I made it to the dentist today.  I was shaking so bad I could barely fill out my paperwork and my heart rate was insane.  The smells and all the chatter was so annoying with my jello legs.  Worst news ever I have abscessed tooth and 3 more extractions so now I will have chicklets for teeth.  I worry more about fainting or puking during the dental work.  Shakes ended as soon as I got home so anxiety is causing many of my symptoms.  I wonder how many of the symptoms are caused by the infection and rotten teeth.  Dentist prescribed no antibiotics for abscess and it’s killing me.  Thursday is round 1 of extraction.  So tired of the pain and then the anxiety just makes me see its the drug.  I felt really good at home that i beat the anxiety for once showing myself it’s defeatable. 

What a nightmare and there's more to come, I'm so sorry!  Its good to hear your symptoms settled some when you got home, stress really ramps them up.  I'm surprised they didn't prescribe an antibiotic, I thought that was standard for an abscess.

I feel like I’m in the bottom pits of hell.  Now 26 or 27 days benzo free and my symptoms are getting worse.  I got 1 tooth extracted a couple of days ago.  It was a brutal extraction.  It was infected so on antibiotic not a fluoroquinolone.  My throat feels like it has a baseball in it.  My saliva is so thick since tooth extraction I feel like i’m choking.  Pulse went to 154 today and had violent tremors when it did.

My stomach has improved is my only bright spot as now have thrush on tongue.  Bladder is going insane.  The tooth was infected and have 3 more to go, but my heart may not make it.  The violent tremors, heavy sweating until my head is soaked, the baseball in the throat I dont think that I will be able to go anywhere.  Eating is so hard with the thick saliva (I guess my saliva glands are in crazy mode), lymph glands are so swollen,, oral thrush, head pressure, and heart going insane. 

I was never this sick on the benzo or during first part of cold turkey.  Praying I don’t get a dry socket on the tooth as had the worst benzo fog yet.  I never knew that it would get to this level of agony.  The tremors were insane as I wonder if I was close to a siezure.  I would give anything for some hugs, but all alone. 

Sorry for ranting so long I had to let it out.  I’m so scared 😱

What you're going through would be rough on anyone but combine that with your cold turkey and I know you're not exaggerating when you say you're in the pits of hell!  I wish you didn't have more extractions, I'm sure that will cause you even more stress which of course means more intense symptoms.  I'm so sorry, I wish there was something I could do.

Pamster sadly I think all my other health problems are going to get the best of me.  I have no quality of life as I approach one month of floxed cold turkey from Valium.  My heart is getting worse etc…..  I think if I wasn’t over 50 with all these underlying conditions I could win.  I was hoping for a health improvement, but so far I’m deteriorating.  I try so hard and dont want to give up.  It’s hard sitting behind four walls watching yourself deteriorate.  I go anywhere or do anything heart rate goes insane and intense sweating occurs added with the throat closing and hypersalivation makes me appear a drug addict.  The frequent urination is a horrible side effect.  I’m losing all my dreams and wonder why I didnt toughen out floxing and did a taper instead of cold turkey.  I feel so helpless and have nobody if my one caregiver dies.  I’m ruining their life and I feel beyond guilty.  Sorry for rambling grasping at straws as I feel defeated.

I can see the hopeless thoughts this process attacks us with are doing a number on you, please don't give them so much power.  I know you have regrets, but this isn't the end of you, it takes a lot more than this so please read some success stories, that's what I did when things were dark for me. 

Your body is busy reversing the changes the drugs made, even now while you're suffering from your dental interventions, the repairs are being made.  I know you don't feel it and have trouble acknowledging it but its happening.  Don't let the negative thoughts rule you, they aren't real, they're a product of the drug.