Questions about substitute sleep aids (tapering soon)

[Up...]

So I have struggled with insomnia for as long as I can remember. When I started having insomnia issues around 2007, I started off with basic the active ingredient of Benadryl. Then after a while I switched to Trazodone and was on that for about 6 years give or take. Then I had an anxiety/panic attack and got put on Klonopin for the last 3 years. A new doctor who I've just met already wants to start tapering my Klonopin. I am scared because of my nighttime anxiety.

What would be a good drug to use or ask for as I begin to taper??

I've been on Trazodone before so I know what that one is like. I've also heard about Seroquel and Hydroxizine but am not too familiar with those.

Yes I know drug free is best and so is CBT, but I work odd hours and sleep through the early morning into the afternoon so I'm definitely going to need something to help me sleep. Thanks for any responses.

I know we missed your doctor appointment so this post is probably too late but if you've tolerated Trazadone in the past, that might be a good one to go back to.  I've heard some members have difficulty with Seroquel, but I did read a member who said Hydroxizine was helpful, hopefully someone with experience will stop by. 

I would stay away from Seroquel or any of the antipsychotics if I were you. I know this isn't a popular sentiment on this forum, but I actually consider these more dangerous than Benzodiazepines.

Their side effects include a range of neurological problems from actual brain shrinkage to various movement disorders that resemble Parkinson's disease. Here is a quick link to a video. If you watch from ~2:35 -8:15, there is a quick video that demonstrates the various movement disorders that antipsychotics, including Seroquel, can cause. Even though people who take Seroquel for insomnia are generally prescribed smaller doses than that taken for psychosis or bipolar disorder, that still doesn't protect you from these possible side effects.

Other bad sides effects of Seroquel include rapid weight gain, as well as affecting insulin (making it more likely that people become diabetic) and triglyceride levels. Here is the link to the video:                       

Personally, I don't think the risks of this drug is worth it for something like anxiety or insomnia.

I am telling you this because your doctor is unlikely to (just like the situation with the benzos).

As for the other medications you mentioned, I don't like Hydroxizine (or as it is sometimes called Vistaril).  It is basically an antihistamine, a mega Benadryl if you will. The problem with it is it has a long half life, for example, if you take it at 10 PM for sleep it will still be in your system at 1:00 PM the next day and I think that is why it is not as commonly used as the other drugs.

Of the three, Trazodone is your best bet.  Personally, Trazodone (at the 50 mg dose) was both ineffective for me and gave me horrible night sweats, but the night sweat thing is probably due to my unique body chemistry.  You, however, have said that you have taken it before and I assume you tolerated it OK when you did. But of the three, Trazodone is your best bet if you are looking for an alternative to the Benzo/Z drug for Insomnia/Anxiety.

I haven't tried Seroquel but it sounds like something I wouldn't have tried on my taper. I did try hydroxyzine and found it left me groggy the next day. I also tried Trazodone but eventually it stopped working for me. However, if it's worked for you in the past, why not give it another go? Unisom worked well for me -- half a 25 mg tablet. But you need to take a break from it as it, too, stops working.

What DID (and does) work consistently for me is CBD. I buy capsules from Lazarus Naturals. I have found this company to be reliable (i.e. their CBD does what it says it will do). I use 100 mg capsules at night for sleep and after so many years of trying to find something that works, this works. I think ppl try CBD for sleep and get put off because they do not try a high enough dose. 5 mg or 10 or 15 is just not adequate. Sure, that dose might calm your anxiety a little but it will not promote sleep. There's an interesting NIH study on 100 mgs of CBD for sleep that really persuaded me. You can Google for it, or I'll try to find the link and post it here. Very interesting. Oh, and I also grow my own and make my own tinctures. That way I know I'm getting what I need.

Bet to you,

Katz

Have you tried melatonin?  I take 10mg every night and can sleep.  2-3mg doesn’t phase me though.  I hate having to take it but it does help. 

Seroquel worked very well for me for 2-3 days but then started giving me bad anxiety.  Same thing with Remeron.  I think the serotonin and other neurotransmitter activation was too much for sensitive brain.

I'm trying again with Remeron / mirtazapine. This time is working better than the last one. I'm on it since September 1st. At least I have spent holidays with my family sleeping decently. A little bit annoying with tinnitus but manageable for the moment.

Seroquel usually knocked my mood.

• 1 month later...

I haven't tried Seroquel but it sounds like something I wouldn't have tried on my taper. I did try hydroxyzine and found it left me groggy the next day. I also tried Trazodone but eventually it stopped working for me. However, if it's worked for you in the past, why not give it another go? Unisom worked well for me -- half a 25 mg tablet. But you need to take a break from it as it, too, stops working.

What DID (and does) work consistently for me is CBD. I buy capsules from Lazarus Naturals. I have found this company to be reliable (i.e. their CBD does what it says it will do). I use 100 mg capsules at night for sleep and after so many years of trying to find something that works, this works. I think ppl try CBD for sleep and get put off because they do not try a high enough dose. 5 mg or 10 or 15 is just not adequate. Sure, that dose might calm your anxiety a little but it will not promote sleep. There's an interesting NIH study on 100 mgs of CBD for sleep that really persuaded me. You can Google for it, or I'll try to find the link and post it here. Very interesting. Oh, and I also grow my own and make my own tinctures. That way I know I'm getting what I need.

Bet to you,

Katz

Katz,

Did you take 100mg doses of CBD while tapering?

No. I hadn't "discovered" the Goldilocks dose. My CBD dose was about 15 mgs. through trial and error. I had okay sleep, but not great. Now I've discovered 100 mgs works best for me and I get really good sleep. You'll have to discover your best dose. Go slow.  :)

Best,

Katz

i was doing 200mg for a few months and it was working well,  and then i added another 100mg and got insomnia. took a week off and now when i try 100mg i get the same insomnia. i'm wondering about the metabolism inhibition stuff as well, did you experience any problems with that?