Bad wave after 1 dose of Cipro...

[Wa...]

Hi guys!

I haven't been around much, my healing journey has been going fairly well... except since yesterday.

I was prescribed Cipro for a UTI and after only one dose, I feel like I just went into acute again.

I've read about those who have taken it, done some research here and other places.. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance? I know everyone is different but it would easy the anxiety to know that I could possibly get back on track.

You will get back on track. I stupidly took Cipro early in my taper (took 3 pills) fr a UTI. I felt pretty horrible for a couple of days, but recovered quickly. I think you'll be okay. Hang in there. Oh, and talk to your doc to get him/her to switch antibiotics. AND be sure to take a probiotic with the antibiotic.

:smitten:

Katz

Pamster - Yes, I did. :) I didn't want to risk it.

oregonkatz - Ugh, It's day 3 (4 days ago I took the dose) and although all seems to be going back to normal, the muscle tension in the neck and headache is ... blah. I did go to the chemist and he prescribed another antibiotic that seems to be doing just fine, but I wouldn't know at this point.

• 1 month later...
Let us know how you get on with the new antibiotic. I'm curious as you never know I might be in the situation when I need something and sometimes researching while ill is difficult. Hope all is going well!.

Cipro is a no GO if you are using or used Benzos. Same as Levaquin. Both are of the family of Fluoroquinolones. The problem is that this antibiotics compete on the same receptor as GABA does. They are also well known to cause tendon problems. Don't panic but if I were you I'd  immediately asked my doctor to switch antibiotics. Most recognized sites even Ashton warns about the use of this potent antibiotics.

https://www.benzoinfo.com/2017/10/12/hidden-dangers-of-fluoroquinolone-antibiotics-in-the-benzodiazepine-dependent-population/

From Ashton manual:

Antibiotics for some reason, sometimes seem to aggravate withdrawal symptoms. However, one class of antibiotics, the quinolones, actually displace benzodiazepines from their binding sites on GABA-receptors. These can precipitate acute withdrawal in people taking or tapering from benzodiazepines. It may be necessary to take antibiotics during benzodiazepine withdrawal but if possible the quinolones should be avoided. (There are at least six different quinolones - ask your doctor if in doubt).

C. H. Ashton, January 2007