I'm having a terrible wave could it be lamotrigine

[Tr...]

Anyone had experience with withdrawal from lamotrigine. I was on 100mg and now reduced to 25mg over 3 week. At the moment my mental health is at crisis point the last 3 days have been unbearable do u think it could be coming of lamotrigine. I'm still trying to get over benzo withdrawal not sure if this is a double whammy. I had 16 days where everything was bearable to this feel like going back on diazepam its that bad

Could very well be the Lamotrigine. You came off very very fast. Way too fast. The recommendation is to taper not more (often less!!) than 10% of the current dose every 4 to 6 weeks. And since Lamotrigine works on Glutamate by doing that, indirectly works on GABA, too, coming off can be a real shit show, even more so if one is already in benzo withdrawal. If it was me, I would go back up to 50 mg and give it around 2 weeks to stabilize. If it works, I'd wait some weeks and then start a much slower taper. If it doesn't work, I would updose again. Lamictal is a sheer nightmare to come off of. Be very careful and do not rush it.

These antiepileptic drugs can do a number to the brain. I was on Lamictal, too. Never had a seizure in my life before starting it but have almost daily seizures even 26 months after being off.

• 5 weeks later...

I've asked to go back on lamotrigine its been unbearable the last 2 waves and I'm in one now I'm on the verge of going to a&e. Had couple of windows over last month but didn't last long.

The health anxiety is awful I've had tests for my bowel problems everything OK and doctor assured nothing serious going on but my brain won't rationalise the situation its knocking me sick constantly. The bowel issues almost dissappear when I'm in window and come back as soon as the wave appears.

• 10 months later...

Interesting stuff. I took LamoTRIGine for two months which made my anger increase so I asked the doctor about tapering down and he said “ it’s ok to stop immediately.

I don’t like any drugs any longer.

Stay safe everyone

Old Sal

• 3 weeks later...