Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸 In honor of our fallen soldiers who gave their lives defending our country 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Ha LadyDen, is 30 may a special memorial day in the US? We have something similar here in Holland on 4 and 5 may. At the 4th we remember the war deaths and on the 5th, we celebrate the victory after WW2. And especially ‘the freedom’ we have here.

At the moment, I still have tough days due to my last taper step. But even though my jump will be in some months, I feel the finish is getting closer. I also changed my adage today. Saw this one in a stadium of Roland Garros. I follow this tournament these two weeks. It is a nice distraction….

Huggs Jerry

Yes Jerry we honor or take a day to remember our fallen soldiers who gave their lives for our country. Your day there sounds very similar to ours. Thanks for sharing that.

Keep going down on your taper. You’re making good gains. Won’t be long now, my friend  :thumbsup:

Hugs 🤗

Team Z I’m sending all of you love and happy healing vibes. Keep up the good work distracting and making progress. You got this! ❤️👍🏼

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Team Z ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

You’re in my thoughts! Have a great day as best as you can. Keep the stress low as much as possible. Even though this is the hardest thing you’ve ever battled just know it is a battle that can be won!

Hey everyone I wanted to ask a question. In your opinion is Ambien easier to come off than Valium?  And with Ambiun do the withdrawal symptoms decrease as he doseage is lowered?

Thanks

Katie

Hey everyone I wanted to ask a question. In your opinion is Ambien easier to come off than Valium?  And with Ambiun do the withdrawal symptoms decrease as he doseage is lowered?

Thanks

Katie

I'll give you my experience, I quit both Klonopin and Ambien cold turkey.  Klonopin was extremely difficult and I had a long recovery, with Ambien, it took me awhile to learn how to sleep but I felt so much better I didn't care, the horrid thoughts, inner trembling and anxiety were gone by the next day.

I know members who have tapered very slowly and those who have cut by about 10% every couple of weeks with success and still others who had my experience.  The way I look at is, because of Ambiens extremely short half life you're basically withdrawing from it every day, I sure was, miserable all day long so it worked for me to cut it out entirely and get on with recovery. 

I'm sure many on this thread don't agree with what I did and I'm not telling you this to influence how you plan to rid yourself, I'm just letting you know we're all different and what works for one may not work for another.  So one would probably ask, what's the use of a forum when we're all so different?  Because this is all we have and even though its all personal and anecdotal, its more than we can get from any other sources because most don't understand or acknowledge what happens to us.

I agree with Pam. In my experience I only was on Ambien. It is short acting and you do have WD everyday in some fashion. But to me, it was easy to get off it because I educated myself HERE first to be as mentally prepared as possible before constructing a DOABLE plan. Because I had been on it for over 7 years and at way higher recommended dosage and on the controlled/ extended release, I knew my best shot to avoid seizures and to have a successful taper was to go slow but steady every 2-4 weeks. Mostly every 2 weeks. I made a rule that if I go down I cannot go back up. I stuck by that rule strictly. When I got down to the lower doses I wanted to just jump so bad because it became paradoxically uncomfortable. It made me sick about 20-30 minutes after each dose. But I resisted doing that low dose CT. As Pam said, if this forum didn’t exist I probably would have listened to my doctor and endured a MUCH greater disaster. My doctor’s suggestion was all over the place because most of them do not know how to properly instruct their patients on how to taper these drugs. Mine told me 1. Just stop taking it.it’s no big deal. It’s safe to just quit. WRONG! 2. Start skipping doses to see how you feel. Take one tonight then skip a couple of nights. WRONG! 3. Cut it in half for a week. Then cut that dose in half for a week. WRONG! I was on the CR -it’s strongly advised NOT to cut them because they’re designed to release twice. If they’re cut they can be very dangerous releasing the dose too fast and all at once. The manufacturer and pharmacist informed me of that information. They have had patients die from cutting CR Ambien. SCARY that I was advised it was ok. You don’t know how grateful I am for this forum…Pam is right!

Also I want to add that some people who are on Valium and Ambien choose to taper the short acting drug first- Ambien first. Some do the opposite to have a go to for sleeping at night. It is a personal choice. One that should be made after researching what’s best for the individual.

I made peace with my taper to not let it control me or set up fears of not sleeping. It’s known to do that. I think that is what makes it hard to let go of…people are afraid of not sleeping. And rightly so…most do get rebound insomnia. Fortunately I didn’t. I started CBT-I with a strict bedtime routine when I began my taper and I’ve slept pretty well ever night even to now. So everyone will have their own experience. As Pam said….seeing they’re so different then why even bother with this forum? As Pam said this is the only place I know of with a record of years of people’s experiences that can be used as a guide. The loving support here is also to be noted. Anybody coming off these drugs WILL need all the support they can get.

Best wishes to you. You can do this!

When I was taking Xanax and all the other Z-drugs interchangeably at bedtime, I didn't take it one night and the next day at work I had a seizure and it damaged my brain and I haven't been the same since.  I had no idea that that could happen to me, but it did.  I haven't been able to work a day since and won't ever be able to work again in my life.  I've been on SSDI since 2012 and my cognitive functioning is getting worse all the time. 

Should I still be getting wd after 7 weeks off zopliclone

I believe Zopiclone to be the nastiest of the z-drugs, I've witnessed members have more difficulty with it than the others so in my opinion, yes. 

Anyone just off Zolpidem?  How did you feel?

Or anyone who has been on these boards so has some insight as to how many feel?  thx...

Hey Barb. Well TBH everyone feels different when coming off Ambien. Some have very mild WD with rebound insomia for a few months then they’re fine. Others have a rough acute WD with insomnia and afterwards make improvements over the next year. Some have a rough acute and very slow improvements over a couple of years ( like me). So nobody can say exact feelings as far as predicting what will be what. There’s only a typical occurrence…..most have rebound insomnia with a few symptoms that get better over time.

Me, personally, when I came off Ambien I felt terrible ! BUT I had half my symptoms disappear immediately when I finished my taper.  Others have the same testimony that many of their strange symptoms got better after coming off.

I am still on  a crumb but doing terribly.  Think I am very run down from many years of this  .  Went from clon to valium...  and occasional ambien became regular since the 'long hold group' thought taking samae thing made more sense than switching around.  As someone who has had very bad insomnia most of her life, I now thing switching around is better than taking same thing!

I had horrible withdrawal.... kept the ambien.  Lessened it but maybe I simply should not get off?  Getting back to no energy/ huge fatigue/ showering being too hard/ not being able to cope with most anything/aches and flu feelings, etc.

I am on a crumb that maybe weighs .015 or .02 gram.  That is the standard 10 mg pill.

Anyone knwo if 5 mg ambien is same size or is it smaller than 10 mg?

So sick of this at over 5.5 years......

Hi Zzers,

My life is still very basic, because of my taper I wasn’t feeling well enough to play saxophone the last three weeks, but today I played again. That is a good sign. Nevertheless I had my sax lessons each week. My teacher is a very kind person, and he understands my situation. A couple of days ago I discovered a square shaped file among my set of files, which makes it easier to do the final touch, to file very precise. It is a bit hard to explain, but I am glad with it.

On the first of July I have a wedding of an aunt and uncle. So I wait with my next taper step till that event is done.  So in two weeks time. Tomorrow I have a meeting because of an exhibition of my art work in August. And tomorrow I’ll go swimming too. I am also looking forward to Wimbledon (tennis)

I wish all the Zzers good days…. Hugg Jerry  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Very well said Pamster. I agree about Ambien, so so so glad I'm off that med.

Hello Team Z, checking in to say hi, Jerry good to see your check-ins, LadyDen great to see you pouring on the Love.

I cleaned out my night table and found 3 pieces of ambien; in to the trash! I'm coming up on one year next week. Wow. Have some rough nights with lots of stress in my life, but nothing like the pain my body and mind were in on ambien.

Love to you all; sorry I've been MIA, but it's been a huge busy whirlwind and still is.

KB

Thanks

Katie

I'll give you my experience, I quit both Klonopin and Ambien cold turkey.  Klonopin was extremely difficult and I had a long recovery, with Ambien, it took me awhile to learn how to sleep but I felt so much better I didn't care, the horrid thoughts, inner trembling and anxiety were gone by the next day.

I know members who have tapered very slowly and those who have cut by about 10% every couple of weeks with success and still others who had my experience.  The way I look at is, because of Ambiens extremely short half life you're basically withdrawing from it every day, I sure was, miserable all day long so it worked for me to cut it out entirely and get on with recovery. 

I'm sure many on this thread don't agree with what I did and I'm not telling you this to influence how you plan to rid yourself, I'm just letting you know we're all different and what works for one may not work for another.  So one would probably ask, what's the use of a forum when we're all so different?  Because this is all we have and even though its all personal and anecdotal, its more than we can get from any other sources because most don't understand or acknowledge what happens to us.

Happy Anniversary to my Z-drug stop-date in June friends, Deanna and LadyDen and anyone else I'm forgetting.

Thank you for sharing the journey!

lots of love to you

Kachina :thumbsup::smitten::angel:

Hi Everyone,

I keep a low profile and stay off BB for the most part but pop up every now and then to share how my zolpidem taper is going.

As my signature indicates, I tapered rohypnol over 6 months and have been off 4 months and counting.

Started zolpidem taper at end of February 2022 and have gone from 10mg to 2.3 mg currently in 3 1/2 months.

I am a little ambitious, going for 10% of current dose every 7, 10 or 14 days. So far, so good.

Of course, I feel terrible much(most) of the time but am managing. Sleep sucks as it has for many months now.

I am working (so far), which is very challenging at times but I think it helps by giving me something to focus on other than my misery.

I like my job, it's not too stressful and I want to be able to provide for my family.

Symptoms are headaches, muscle pain, wobbly legs, anxiety and depression (although the wobbly legs, anxiety and depression are less than when on the rohypnol).

Started taking a .3 micro dose of melatonin (Herbatonin brand) about 2 weeks ago.

Also started a course of supplements recommended by Peter Smith from the UK.

After doing my homework, I don't think he's a charlatan and he's not peddling a miracle cure.

He's definitely not doing it for the money (you don't but the supplements from him, none of them are proprietary).

Anyway, the only path is forward. I will never go back or up dose.

The only questions are when I will get to zero and how things will go when that happens.

Any thoughts, impressions or words of support would be welcomed!

Thanks for your support. I wish everyone the best!

Agoura,  what are/were you main symptoms?

I tried the .3 herbatonin...  did not work for me.  Wish I could find a winning combination to help.

Might I message you?

Good to know Peter Smith is on the level.  He is really just a lay person who has worked in this area, right?  Not an m.d.  ?

Thanks and good luck to you, too!

Happy Anniversary to my Z-drug stop-date in June friends, Deanna and LadyDen and anyone else I'm forgetting.

Thank you for sharing the journey!

lots of love to you

Kachina :thumbsup::smitten::angel:

Hi Kachina! What a good idea to think of it as a June celebration. My jump date was June 1, 2021 so I'll join in on this one!

Happy weekend to you~  :smitten:

Hi Zzers,

My life is still very basic, because of my taper I wasn’t feeling well enough to play saxophone the last three weeks, but today I played again. That is a good sign. Nevertheless I had my sax lessons each week. My teacher is a very kind person, and he understands my situation. A couple of days ago I discovered a square shaped file among my set of files, which makes it easier to do the final touch, to file very precise. It is a bit hard to explain, but I am glad with it.

On the first of July I have a wedding of an aunt and uncle. So I wait with my next taper step till that event is done.  So in two weeks time. Tomorrow I have a meeting because of an exhibition of my art work in August. And tomorrow I’ll go swimming too. I am also looking forward to Wimbledon (tennis)

I wish all the Zzers good days…. Hugg Jerry  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Glad you’re doing better and back to sax playing again. Awesome! Congrats to your aunt and uncle. May they be happy in love. The art exhibition sounds lovely. I’m very proud of you. I’m sure many people will enjoy your artwork putting big smiles on faces. I wish you all the best! Love and hugs!