switching from Rivotril to Clonazepam Tarchomin

[W2...]

Hi, I dry taper with lab scales for a year. Currently on 0,556mg Rivotril. My country is out of Rivotril 0,5mg pills, I need to switch to Clonazepam Tarchomin 0,5mg or to Rivotril 2mg.

All 3 medicines contain clonazepam, the additional, filling ingredients somewhat different, can it be problem? Any experience on such switch?

I assume all these 3 medicines are homogeneous, same weight pill cut contains same amount of clonazepam. Is it correct?

Thank you vm for all replies in advance!

I’m sorry your country is experiencing a shortage of the 0.5mg Rivotril tablets.  Would you feel comfortable sharing the name of your country so other members will be alerted?

Have you tried calling different pharmacies to ask if they might have some in stock?

Is Rivotril liquid (a 2.5mg per mL oral solution) available in your country?  If so, that might be an option to consider.  Indeed, there are advantages to using this liquid versus tablets for the remainder of your taper.

Are 1mg Rivotril tablets available? 

Some members experience issues when they switch from one manufacturer to another due to differences in the amount of drug in the tablets and different excipients.  If you stay with Rivotril, the tablets will contain the same excipients as the 0.5 tablets (just more clonazepam).  Also they will be made by the same, brand manufacturer so you can expect similar, high quality manufacturing standards.  Needless to say, if you go this route, you will need to get an average weight of the new tablets and adjust your doses for both the new weight and the different amount of drug.

If you decide to go with the generic, 0.5mg tablets, the weight of the tablets may be different from the ones you are presently using so you should weigh the new tablets to determine if you need to re-calculate your doses based on the new weight.

No matter which route you decide to take, I strongly encourage you to hold you dose constant for at least 7-10 days after you make the switch to the new dosage form.  This will allow you to evaluate how you respond to the change.

Hi, thank you vm for these detailed info!

Hungary is the country.

No pharmacies contain 0,5mg Rivotril anymore for long time, they always modify the expected delivery date.

No liquid or 1mg Rivotril were ever available.

Yes, will calculate an average of the new pills, calculate my actual dose to those new pills, better if I overcalculate a bit.

Than it seems the Rivotril 2mg path is safer because same brand, but harder to taper exactly.

Clonazepam TM 0,5mg is easier to taper, but can be problem bc different manufacturer : ////

You are most welcome.  Thank you for letting us know the country.  Again, I am very sorry you are having to go through this.

If you have issues with obtaining consistent doses with the new tablets, there are other options we can discuss including making a do-it-youself liquid using a suspending vehicle, milk, or water.

There have been supplier issues with rivotril tablets and liquid in the entire Europe for some time already. My pharmacist informed me of it. It's apparently been more than a year of unexpected delivery dates and so on.

Oh my.  Having to face uncertainty over one’s medication supply in addition to the challenges associated with benzodiazepine cessation is a twofold blow. :'(