Thoughts on single benzo vs more than 1

[fe...]

Hello all,

So you can see in the signature than my husband had a failed crossover from k to v. At the time that he managed to stabilize we ended up just not touching anything for fear of making anything worse... plus, any time that the discussion on v comes up you have to think "metabolites- those buggers are supposed to help make things smoother".

However, there are a couple of things that my husband and I are bouncing back and forth:

1. V never really helped much... it causes brain fog rather than help him sleep and it does very little for his anxiety.

2. V has a higher risk profile for depression.

3. There is a psychological element to thinking that you have to start tapering another benzo when done with K.

What are your guys' thoughts on stepwise replacements back to k? When he was going through the crossover initially, some members had shared that reverting to k was actually helpful to them.

But I don't know... I think you guys know better than anyone that after being zapped so many times trying something to become so trigger shy that you may be holding up a good thing... I just want to help my husband through this and get him on the other side, where life starts again...

I’m sure you’re discouraged the crossover hasn’t worked, but it sounds like your gut is telling you to go back to the Klonopin.  I can see you’re thinking this through and I’m glad but tapers are about confidence in your taper.

I’ve seen people beat themselves up after their tapers thinking the method they used is contributing to their suffering post withdrawal, I don’t agree, I believe recovery depends on a lot more than how you tapered. So my advice to you is to listen to your gut on this, how you and your husband feel about his taper is what counts right now.

Thank you so much for your thoughts Pamster. I suppose one of the scary/ frustrating things about benzos is that tapering is such an individual experience... anything from symptoms to mindset to how linear things are. But you are absolutely right... tapering is definitely more than how you taper.

As always, I really appreciate the feedback. Trying to think strategies through can be a real hamsterwheel in your head at times.

You’ve made an important point, every taper is unique, as unique as we are, that’s why I get so frustrated when doctors try to put us all on the same plan, it doesn’t work.

I hope you and your husband can find what works, I know you probably feel like you’ve wasted this time trying to cross over but its like you said, we’re all pretty much on our own on this hamsterwheel.