Immediate Switch to Diazepam?

[Dr...]

Hi,

I’ve been on Lorazepam for 15 years, and have been at 4 mg. per day for a long time.

For the last 4 months, I’ve had a severe eczema rash that was biopsied and diagnosed as a probable drug reaction. Over the last few months I’ve stopped the other drugs, now Lorazepam is suspected as the cause. The rash is serious and spreading, so my doctor is suggesting I stop the Lorazepam.

I’ve been reading the Ashton manual and see that it’s recommended to switch to Diazepam slowly. My doctor suggested I try an immediate switch to Diazepam, but he’s not familiar with tapering or the Ashton method. I need to talk to him about it.

Has anyone done an immediate switch to Diazepam and been ok with it? I’m leery of trying something so drastic.

Thank you,

Drew

I can see why you and your doctor would want to be rid of the Lorazepam quickly, especially if your rash is spreading, it sounds painful.  The problem is, the Valium won’t cooperate with your plans.

In our body the drug builds and leaves slowly which makes it ideal for tapering but if you switch abruptly it will feel like a cold turkey because you’ve stopped the fast acting drug and started a slow acting one.  This will leave you pretty much without coverage until it has a chance to build up.  It can take weeks to fully realize a Valium dose completely.

Another thing to be aware of is the difference in the drugs themselves, the Valium will feel different to you, it can be sedating at first and you could experience some depression but I’m told they will both leave as you acclimate to the drug.

How much is your doctor considering prescribing, here is a calculator to help you figure out a dose.  Professor Ashton tended to go heavier than most doctors will so I hope he’ll at least get you in the ballpark. https://clincalc.com/Benzodiazepine/