Substitution question

[Wa...]

Have a question….  I am getting ready to start my Xanax taper.  Working with my PCP and a compounding pharmacy.  I am at 2.5mg per day which is divided up 4 x per day.  I take .5 mg in the am, after lunch and evening and then 1mg at bedtime.  This is in hopes of getting sleep but I am really struggling with sleep still.  My question is this… I know diazepam is the go to substitution according to Ashton Manual.  Has anyone ever tried substituting Temazapan at bedtime since it is the one that is prescribed for sleep??  Any thoughts.  Just exploring any options for the best method before I begin.

I hate to see you go on another benzo in addition Diazepam because it can be quite sedating when you first start out.  Also, Temazepam has a pretty short half life, not much longer than Xanax so it seems like this would be contrary to your efforts to switch to a longer acting benzo to get away from the Xanax interdose issues.

Thanks for that..  I have read that diazepam can be depressing and I sure don’t need any more of that.  I’m trying desperately to avoid adding an antidepressant into the mix.  Any suggestions for help with sleep??  I’m not sleeping well now and what lies ahead is pretty scary. 

Sleep is pretty uncommon around here as you well know but the fear of not getting it can be so destructive, we can sabotage ourselves with our fear.  I know you've probably seen this post and I know its not the miracle cure we all want to have but its truly the only way to get through this without reaching for a z-drug which is what I did and I regret it, it made everything worse.  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=235100.0

Edit: Just saw your post, I would strongly recommend not switching to Temazepam, you could end up taking it 4 times a day because of its short half life. 

Wants, I just want to chime in here. Don't be put off by ppl saying valium is depressing. SOME ppl might find it depressing, but that's a minority in my experience and I've been on BB a long time. I did not find it to be so. My buddies who were tapering when I was did not find it depressing, either. I found it a little fatiguing at first, but that passes. Remember -- everyone's different. You'll do what you think is best, but if I were you, I wouldn't rule out valium. And there are plenty of options to explore for sleep.

Best to you,

:smitten:

Katz

I crossed to Valium from Xanax XR and found it to be sedating more then anything, but that passed.  I did have minor depression for about 2 weeks, but that also passed.  For me, it was well worth it!  I couldn't tolerate the interdose with Xanax.  Valium is much easier for me to taper and the sedation helps sometimes with sleep- it did for me.  Again, everyone is different.  The switch was a necessity for me.  I am glad I crossed over and so happy to be just on Valium now.  It has an extremely long half life, so be careful when tapering, don't go to fast or it will slam you with symptoms in about 1-2 weeks. 

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks OregonkatZ and Cooper5.  Just saw your reply.  I just desperately need to succeed at this and I need to find a way to sleep.  Zero hours last night.  Also.. is it appropriate for me to ask for help I determining the substitution doses on this site?  My PCP is not benzo wise and is pretty much just a prescriber

Also.. is it appropriate for me to ask for help I determining the substitution doses on this site?  My PCP is not benzo wise and is pretty much just a prescriber

If you do want to crossover and your doctor doesn't know how, please ask here and let us help. We've seen a couple of botched crossovers lately because doctors cannot read or understand the Ashton schedule.