Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

don’t know what to do. I’m so sick. Not sleeping unless I have unisom last night only 2 hrs then massive panic attack after waking. Cant stop dry heaving I need sleep

My dr doesn’t know what to do. Benzo clinic only in another state. Is there something else I’m missing? Do I need to updose. I don’t even know why I’m posting this I need someone to take control of my care where I am but there is no one.

If you are feeling that bad I would do anything possible to HOLD at whatever dose you have been taking lately, definitely no less than that. I wouldn't go near a detox clinic for benzos. Updosing not always works however I updosed, not sure if it helped because it took me months to feel better. Trazodone helps me sleep but when I was at the thickest of my withdrawal it did hardly anything. I wish your doctor allowed you to hold at your current dose. It seems the less risky thing to do, or at least not to cut any further until you're more stable.

don’t know what to do. I’m so sick. Not sleeping unless I have unisom last night only 2 hrs then massive panic attack after waking. Cant stop dry heaving I need sleep

My dr doesn’t know what to do. Benzo clinic only in another state. Is there something else I’m missing? Do I need to updose. I don’t even know why I’m posting this I need someone to take control of my care where I am but there is no one.

Shayna, how were you feeling when you were at the dose you started tapering from?  If you were in bad shape then, it's just my opinion you needed to do a Long Hold at that point.  How do you feel about going back there , or maybe even to 2 mgs, and hold until you can get some kind of stability.

I am sorry you are feeling so badly.  It may take a good while to stabilize but you need an opportunity to give your brain and central nervous system an opportunity to calm down.  It's hard to find Dr 's that understand benzo withdrawal.  It's unfortunate, most of us have Dr's that prescribe for us but are little help with how to withdraw.  We get that information from bb.  Hang in there, we will be here for you.

Mary 🙋🏼

Thanku Mary x I am seriously considering it. I really need to rethink what my roadmap looks like. I sometimes feel like the Valium is doing nothing and I need to just get off it and let my body heal. But there’s the other side that says I need to let my brain catch up. If it was linear and the same method for everyone it would be so much easier. Bloody ridiculous drugs. I just feel like hurting some drs right now. Grrr x

To be honest I have felt terrible the while time so I can’t in all fairness say that I felt better on the higher dose, I didn’t really. It’s more that my sleep is now non existent where as when I was on more Valium it was there. I’ve never really taken more than 2mg only on random once offs

Thanku Mary x I am seriously considering it. I really need to rethink what my roadmap looks like. I sometimes feel like the Valium is doing nothing and I need to just get off it and let my body heal. But there’s the other side that says I need to let my brain catch up. If it was linear and the same method for everyone it would be so much easier. Bloody ridiculous drugs. I just feel like hurting some drs right now. Grrr x

To be honest I have felt terrible the while time so I can’t in all fairness say that I felt better on the higher dose, I didn’t really. It’s more that my sleep is now non existent where as when I was on more Valium it was there. I’ve never really taken more than 2mg only on random once offs

Then hold where you are, or go back up .25 and hold.  The reason holding now is so important, it gives you time to catch up, but it also, hopefully will help how you feel when you are benzo free.

If you are feeling really bad at the end, there is a good chance you might really struggle then.  So taking the time to try to feel better now has the potential to really help then.  Just my opinion  :)

Good luck !!  🙋🏼🙋🏼😘😘

Hello benzo buddies,

I've just started the journey with you all to heal from benzodiazepine withdrawals specifically Xanax after long-term use. After a long search for a doctor who would prescribe diazepam in the US, my family finally found one and we have the diazepam prescription. I've now started to try and substitute Xanax, which I take at 0.25 mg doses 3 times a day, for Diazapam. My existing dosage times are 4am (because of insomnia waking me up at 2:30am), 10am, and 4pm. I'm easing into it by replacing half of my Xanax at 4pm with Diazepam. I'm extremely anxious about removing Xanax that gives temporary relief from terrible withdrawal symptoms but am taking courage.

My biggest fear with Diazepam is possibly feeling groggy the entire day especially in the morning. Does diazepam make people very groggy? I just don't think I can handle that per my personality. Also, if it does, how do people cope with the grogginess?

Thank you very much!

Millet

Hi Millet.  Welcome.  I found that after I c/o to Valium, I was sedated at first but that has faded as time has gone on.  It was not unwelcome either as I started to sleep better and got relief from horrible symptoms that I was having, including interdose withdrawal symptoms.  I no longer was watching the clock for my next dose. 

How long have you been on Xanax? It would be helpful to update your profile signature.  I wonder if some of the "relief" you are getting from the Xanax is just because of interdose withdrawal and not necessarily from your original condition?  I'm not sure, though, since I don't have a history.  Just something I experienced myself and I would definitely expect with Xanax really short half life.  I could feel the build up of the withdrawal symptoms, which would subside after taking a dose for a few hours.  Then they would come back on again.  If that's the case, and if you are like me, hopefully the Valium will be a huge help for you but we all metabolize it very differently.

Anyhow, I hope you have great success with your crossover. 

Hey Millet, everyone is different with Diazapam.  It made me very groggy and lasted for quite awhile but others just have the grogginess for a little while and their body adapts pretty quickly.  Cross over slowly, that will help.  Definitely putting a signature ( drug history) in your profile will help us be able to give you better support.  Good luck!!  Mary 🙋🏼🙋🏼😷😷

Sorry you've been going through such a hard time. You're in bad WD because you powered through your Z without ever stabilizing. I think you said you were in tolerance but I'm not sure why you didn't cross over to an equivalent dose of Valium, stabilize and then taper. You will get through this but by going at your present pace it just makes it harder

Hi Shayna,

I just want to throw out another opinion here......some hold, some updose but for many, it just doesn't help.  For some, it only takes powering through to the finish, where usually more of the healing comes in.  It's just the reality for some individuals, unfortunately.  Research the options, IMO, before you look to updose or do a really long hold.  Those things may work for you but they may not.  One thing I'm learning from this whole benzo mess is how individual it all is.  It's incredibly frustrating. 

Also, I'm so sorry you are not getting any sleep.  Insomnia is truly one of the worst symptoms.  I'm sure you have looked into CBT-I already but just in case not, thought I would throw it out there.  This was recommended by Dr. James Wright as a tool for those going through w/d.  Best wishes on whatever you decide is the right thing.

Thanks jwl and mom.

I tried to use Valium to offset zop I was on such a low dose when I co it did nothing. I was feeling so unwell all the time it almost didn’t make sense to hold. I updosed a few times and it did nothing, I realize I need to hold for a while to stabilize but in the back of my mind I didn’t think it would help, as I was never stable on zop even on high doses. I’m not going to updose I’ve decided. I’m not going back. I’ll hold for a bit and get my strength back. Mom Thanku have tried cbti doesn’t work for me unfortunately but may help as more healing comes. It’s horrible that there’s not just one right way to do it, that’s what makes it all so hard, what works for one won’t work for the rest. Thanku so much for replying x

Dear Shayna,

You are carrying a large cross.  I've had horrible insomnia a couple of times and it is absolutely miserable and leaves a deep scar.  I'm sure you've tried it also but a low dose of Seroquel helps me.  Eventually, my plan is to wean off and I know that it can cause it's own problems.  Anyhow, please do hang in there.  I understand your pain - I literally had only like 2 hours of sleep per night for many, many months after my 2nd child was born, which led me down this whole path.  I've had it a few other times also.  I'm so sorry you are suffering. 

Thanks mom x like u after my third and his terrible sleeping habits I was lead down this path to hell myself x I have tried seroquel and again it didn’t help it actually made me very sick straight away. I’m glad it’s helping u tho and when the time is right u will win that battle too x Thanku for ur caring thoughts. I think I need to put some sort of coping plan in place for when I can’t sleep. I’ve been told this by other buddies that struggled too. Perhaps just having a different attitude to it but it’s so difficult to get in that head space. Although last night I thought I might just stay up all night and watch movies and then I got very tired so went to bed and had a couple of light hours but it was something at least. And today I feel ok. So I have to try a different approach to how I respond to it, but feel so physically ill when I don’t get any sleep that it is very hard! Any way I’m rambling now haha x

I think the sleep deprivation from a newborn definitely sets the scene for ongoing sleep problems  :tickedoff:

Shayne,

I understand your pain. As I’ve gone through debilitating withdrawal symptoms, a couple things that help are having people to talk to- my husband, kids, extended family, and friends and going out of the house for distraction.

Mary and Momof7babes,

Thank you for replying. I really need and appreciate any advice and support from experienced people as I start my crossover to diazepam. By the way, my history is now shared in my signature. Do you have any tips on how to manage cravings for the first dose when I wake up in the very early hours of the morning and as I wait for the correct time? Community or going out is not available then.

Millet,

I'm not quite sure.  I am not clock watching like I was on Klonopin.  I just take 3 even doses a day and at pretty set times.  I don't wake myself to take a dose but try to get it even 8 hours.

Shayna,

How long were you on the Z drugs?  Do you still have little ones to care for?  I think your changing your approach/thinking is key and it's good that you are getting it.  I completely understand that lack of sleep makes one sick, however.  For me, this was before benzo issue and w/d, I dropped a lot of weight because of the insomnia.  I hate to say it but what got me out of it two different times was a huge dose of Klonopin (2.5mg) each night, followed quickly (within a week) of weaning over 2-4 months.  I wouldn't recommend this but it broke the cycle for me - I was desperate and assured that this was ok (sigh). This assurance helped get me dependent on benzos, honestly (with a lot of other things mixed in).  None of the Zzz drugs ever worked for me and they were touted as being completely "safe". Oh, how we learn a lot, huh?  Glad you are doing ok today.

Hi mom

2 years on z, a year temazepam but not all the time, until the end of 2017 then it was more regularly, then I was building tolerance so started having a couple of wines to give them a nudge. Stupid, but I know know that would only have made the down regulation worse, so that’s when I got switched to z. And that’s when the anxiety and panic attacks started. I struggled they the year on and off taking them not all the time tho, and then suddenly bam, full blown tolerance. My dr in her wisdom said to take rohypnol to break the cycle, which I did, and the cycle didn’t break and the rohypnol only worked for a couple of hours. It’s clear that I damaged the receptors if rohypnol doesn’t work. There’s nothing I can do now except wait unfortunately. Taking anything else I’ve tried lots of things nothing helps x  my dr still thinks they’re safe, even after the ordeal I went through. Very disappointing

How long after reinstating Valium does it take to build up enough in your system to get you stabilized? Tapered too quickly, :tickedoff:  had horrible withdrawals, was still in that narrow window where I still had Valium in my system and I could reinstate and do a proper slowwwwww taper. I went back on last Saturday, biggest problem is being able to eat.  :'( Just feel sick all over, feels like a bad case of the flu. Somewhere I read two weeks until I feel much better, probably four until I'm really stable and ready to taper again.  :(

How long after reinstating Valium does it take to build up enough in your system to get you stabilized? Tapered too quickly, :tickedoff:  had horrible withdrawals, was still in that narrow window where I still had Valium in my system and I could reinstate and do a proper slowwwwww taper. I went back on last Saturday, biggest problem is being able to eat.  :'( Just feel sick all over, feels like a bad case of the flu. Somewhere I read two weeks until I feel much better, probably four until I'm really stable and ready to taper again.  :(

Hey BL, there just really isn't an accurate answer to that.  It is just different for everyone.  That's one of the things that suck most about benzo wd, we all react differently.  Good luck to you, hope it happens quickly  :)

Shayna and BenzoLottie- I’m very sorry about your ups and downs of your journey to recovery. It took time for my family to diagnose my condition correctly, to secure the right treatment provider (my healthcare provider was too bureaucratic and rigid), and to assemble a supportive community/schedule. As long as there is progress, no matter how slow, it would allow change to happen according to your goal of total healing.  :)

Mary and Momof7babes- I believe that benzos negatively affects the quality of sleep per Dr. Ashton and my short acting Xanax causes me interdose withdrawals where I’m craving for the next dose. You would be happy to hear that I had the courage to switch my entire evening dose of .125 mg Xanax to 5 mg of diazepam yesterday. My family is helping me gradually switch to all diazepam and want an accelerated process because of debilitating interdose withdrawals. I was completely breaking down when just on Xanax. 2.5 mg of diazepam is replacing .125 mg of Xanax every 3 days.

So last night, I took the evening dose at 6pm and was feeling very sleep at 10pm. I'm a person who likes to sleep very late and disliked the feeling. I slept at 10:30pm, woke up at 12am and managed, with the help of family, to sleep again until 5am. It was a difficult complete 3rd dose turnover to diazepam and I still have 2 doses to substitute. 1) Do you have advice to make the crossover easier? Mary, I remember you saying to cross over slowly. 2) Have people always crossed over to an equivalent dose or could I crossover to less than the equivalent dose since I don't like medication. Thank you for the advice. I'm encouraged by this community.

Shayna and BenzoLottie- I’m very sorry of your ups and downs of your journey to recovery. It took time for my family to diagnose my condition correctly, to secure the right treatment provider (my healthcare provider was too bureaucratic and rigid), and to assemble a supportive community/schedule. As long as there is progress, no matter how slow, it would allow change to happen according to your goal of total healing.  :)

Mary and Momof7babes- I believe that benzos negatively affects the quality of sleep per Dr. Ashton and my short acting Xanax causes me interdose withdrawals where I’m craving for the next dose. You would be happy to hear that I had the courage to switch my entire evening dose of .125 mg Xanax to 5 mg of diazepam yesterday. My family is helping me gradually switch to all diazepam and want an accelerated process because of debilitating interdose withdrawals. I was completely breaking down when just on Xanax. 2.5 mg of diazepam is replacing .125 mg of Xanax every 3 days.

So last night, I took the evening dose at 6pm and was feeling very sleep at 10pm. I'm a person who likes to sleep very late and disliked the feeling. I slept at 10:30pm, woke up at 12am and managed, with the help of family, to sleep again until 5am. It was a difficult 3rd dose turnover to diazepam and I still have 2 doses to substitute. 1) Do you have advice to make the crossover easier? Mary, I remember you saying to cross over slowly. 2) Have people always crossed over to an equivalent dose or could I crossover to less than the equivalent dose since I don't like medication. Thank you for the advice. I'm encouraged by this community.

Millet, that would be up to you.  If you were feeling pretty good, I would say go for it, but if you are struggling, it may not be a good idea.  Now , you might try cutting off a very small dose, see how you feel, if that goes okay, cut off a little more, always letting your symptoms be your guide.  ;):D

Hope you sleep better soon. 

Hey BL, there just really isn't an accurate answer to that.  It is just different for everyone.  That's one of the things that suck most about benzo wd, we all react differently.  Good luck to you, hope it happens quickly  :)

I'm feeling very discouraged now. I wish I hadn't tapered so quickly, and found BenzoBuddies before I did. I'm just having stomach pain at this point. Oatmeal and bananas are all I can handle, and it hurts to even eat those. I have Olanzepine here, I'm considering going back on it for several days, and see if that helps. It was effective before in treating stomach pain and nausea when I couldn't eat after my mom's death, and ended up in a Psych hospital.

BenzoLottie, I think you were smart to reinstate. You were tapering very fast as I’m sure you know. Last year when I tapered off, I went too fast especially at the lower doses and ended up reinstating too. It took me a couple months before I felt ready to taper again. Listen to your body, it will tell you what it can handle. The nausea you mention lasted about a month for me. I lived off bananas, carrots, and toast for a while. It does get better though, it just takes time.

-I just want all of you to know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers. 

---I have a question for the entire group.  I am currently on an am dose 4 mg,  afternoon 3 mg, and evening dose of 9.  I have sx but I'm functional enough to work from home, do things with the family, but I do need alone time and rest times.  I have good days and bad days. 

---My question is I'm tapering 6 % per month using a dry microtaper.  I am cutting out my afternoon dose first.    I am measuring my 3 mg using the scale, calibrating, and cutting. My afternoon dose is very precise because that is the one I'm tapering. 

Here is my question:  My average 2 mg pill weight is .159.    I've noticed I have pills that weigh .164 all the way down to .155.  For my morning and evening doses I just pop the pills.  Should I also be weighing pills in the am and evening to keep them around .159 OR does it all even out?  What do you all do?