Benzo belly

[Yo...]

I literally can’t cope anymore. My belly is f*****, it’s almost like my stomach has some kind of heartbeat. It’s painful and I’m well over a year off the benzo. Diazepam is literally the weakest benzo too and I have an anal fissure and a messed up gi. Thanks diazepam for f***** me over. These pills should never be prescribed to anyone!

Edit: Content

I love when I hear people talk about food. I just be listening to them say how good food be and I’m just sitting here in my mind like hell yeah, My gi is messed up due to benzo use and hoping it’ll heal up soon. Also when this withdrawal is over I might try to get on Prozac because I think I need it. I should have been prescribed that and not a benzo.

This is a very unfair question because the intestinal track/microbiome is easily besides the brain the most complex system... No one can really say for sure because measuring the injury caused by these benzos is impossible to my knowledge that is.

Here's the thing, Benzos target GABA particularly GabaA receptors.

The A and B receptors aren't really that important because both A and B will effect GABA in a negative way regardless. Think of GABA as the mother board in this fight. Here's the problem, we don't know if the injury goes beyond just GABA in the limbic system... However we do know that GABA contributes to 78% of the Nervous system

Like GABA, the Nervous system is broken up into two sub sections.

CNS: (Central Nervous system) This involves your brain and Spinal cord

PNS: (Peripheral nervous system)  If you look at the Nervous system on Google your see either Yellow, red, blue or green lines which branch out from the Spinal cord going to every part of the body .. Those are nerves and ganglia which fire neurons back and forth (Sending and receiving signals throughout the body up through the Spinal cord and to the brain to be identified) its just a bunch of tubes sending and receiving messages

Together they make up The Nervous system. That being said, the Nervous system manages near by systems including The vestibular system

Musculatory system

integumentary system,autonomic nervous system lymphatic system, respiratory system, digestive system, endocrine system, cardiovascular system, urinary system, and reproductive systems

Each with their own sets of symptoms.

When it comes to the digestive system particularly the intestinal track, this is overly complex because there's too many factors involved.

You're microbiome will be a problem because it all depends on how you treated you're microbiome which depends on the status of you're gut health before the benzosm.. The biggest factor with gut health will always be how you've handled your diet over the years.

The better you're gut the faster in theory you're gut will return back to normal living.

Example if you've had a diet full processed crap, sugar, sweeteners, additive preservatives and especially carbs (one of the biggest lies nutrition science thought us was that there's good and bad carbs... A carb is a carb it converts into sugar regardless to which the body doesn't need outside sugar.

Let me explain this before I go further because people are under the impression that the body craves outside sugar. This is false, we come from ancestors who evolved over 350,000 to which they're primary diet was mostly animal products.

For further info on our ancestors diet look up

"Nitrogen 14 and 15 isotopes and the trophic levels within human beings within the last 350,000 years"

From this way of eating the body evolved with the help of natural selection getting rid of genes we don't need while keeping those which help us survive.

The liver and kidney produce 97.8% of all blood glucose that you're ever need within a single day through two main processes

Glycogenolysis & Gluconeogenesis

Glycogenolysis: Typically begins 8 hours post fasting in which the liver begins to produce Blood glucose/Sugar for energy for function of the body.

Gluconeogenesis: individuals Biological liver and kidney begins to create Blood glucose through the means of Non carbohydrate sources, including lactate, glutamine, alanine, and glycerol

Now that we have that out of the way let's return back to gut health, Carbs, grains, starches and outside sugar feed harmful bacteria strains in the body along with good bacteria strains, also another big lie is fiber which also feeds both strains including

Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, lactococci, streptococci(only certain subtypes) Enterococci, Lactobacillus fermentum, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Lactobacillus paracasei, Lactobacillus gasseri, Lactobacillus reuteri, Lactobacillus salivarius, Lactobacillus helveticus

Clostridium, Faecalibacterium, Eubacterium, Ruminococcus, Peptococcus, Peptostreptococcus, Acinetobacter calcoaceticus

Bacteroides, Bifidobacterium, Streptococcus, Enterobacteriaceae, Enterococcus, Lactobacillus, and Ruminococcus, Campylobacter, Clostridium perfringens, E. coli,Listeria, Norovirus, Salmonella,

The status of how well you've taking care of your gut will determine the speed in which you recover. There's too many moving parts to really say for sure.

The best thing you can do right now no matter the status of you're gut before benzos is to job on a diet that benefits you and promotes recovery to which many exist from Keto paleo, Carnivore, low carb, Fodmao diet, low histamine, Anti inflammatory diet, Atkins and The Walsh protocol I would say are the healthiest, my dad is a nutritionist of 42 years so I'm a big believer in the power of food.

The benzo belly you are experiencing is coming from over activity and over stimulation within that region, so to get rid of this distention you have to remove whatever is bothering said stomach to intestinal track which sounds like a process but I promise you the benefits are undeniable, Fasting also helps in so many areas as well including

Here are some links to research discussing stem cell and fasting.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/277860

https://www.flowin.com/index.php?page=blog_post&blog_id=79

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7474734

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140605141507.htm

https://www.dvcstem.com/post/fasting-and-stem-cells

https://www.dvcstem.com/post/fasting-and-stem-cells

Fasting stimulates faster cellular regeneratation:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140605141507.htm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7474734/

Fasting reboots the immune system:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/277860

Now a little disclaimer this should all be approached with you're doctor in not giving any medical advice.

Also for more nutrition advice you can look up leading organizations such as

Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics

- Advances in Nutrition

- Journal of the Academy of Nutrition

- Clinical Nutrition,

- The official journal of ESPEN

- The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

Nutrition textbooks:

- Textbook of Endocrinology

- Essentials of Human Nutrition

- Williams' Essentials of Nutrition & Diet Therapy, 12th Edition

- Krause and Mahan's Food & the Nutrition Care Process : 15th Edition

- Nutrition Therapy and Pathophysiology Textbook

- Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism 7th Edition

- Nutrition Therapy and Pathophysiology

All this to say that diet will be you're best friend here. Figure out which foods are trigger you remember the benzo has made your body overly sensative right now but you will recover from this

What does it even feel like when the benzo belly goes away surely heaven. It’s like there’s a monster in my stomach and my intestines feel like they on fire.

Greyzone, all those diets you mention are no good if you have constipation, believe me I've tried them all. You need some fibre when your constipated, soluble and insoluble, a balance of the two is sometimes hard to achieve. Too much insoluble can bung you up and not enough can cause contsipation. Too much protein and dairy are also not good if you suffer with constipation.

This is false and a long standing myth which in the past five years was debunked. You are behind on currently research.

Now I'm sure if you Google if Fiber is beneficial or not for your bowel movements you're be flooded with epidemiological and observational reports that this is the case sure, however you should be paying attention to peer reviewed literature only. In fact most organizations are now starting to recognize this false entry in dietary advances such as

- Crohn's & Colitis Association

- British Society of Gastroenterology

- American Gastroenterological Association

- World Gastroenterology Organisation (WGO)

- Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics

- Advances in Nutrition

- Journal of the Academy of Nutrition

- Clinical Nutrition,

- The official journal of ESPEN

- The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

You do not need fiber, not only has it never been proven which I'll provide links which show its lack of benefit, but the physician who created this theory named physician Eban Hipsley and coined the term in 1974, based this theory off the eating habits of a tribe... These studies are refered to as a epidemiological and observational report. Out side of his study, there has yet to be a single study anywhere in the literature which shows that fiber is beneficial for a human being and their mobility or lack there of.

To understand this you have to know about the human Physiology. Fiber right off the bat is undigested, the human stomach's pH is between 1.5 to 3.5 units at any given time, in order to break down plant substances which fiber no matter the type comes largely from plants... Needs to start at 4.0. From there fiber makes it's way through the small intestinal track creating micro inflammation as the small intestinal track absorbs all the digested food, it's been described that this process of passing through the small intestinal track is like watching sand paper rub against a thin membrane... This is also why persons experience worse IBS and IBD symptoms when consuming fiber, while having the opposite effect once they discontinue.

As shown here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/#:~:text=In%20our%20recent%20study%2C%20patients,from%20abdominal%20bloatedness%20and%20pain.

Chart:

https://www.thecarnivoredietcoach.com/news/fibre-essential-human-diet

Besides the mobility factor which doesn't exist, the only real benefit to consuming fiber that's currently know is that upon passing through the large intestinal track, You have a bacteria strains which then break down the fiber into Short chain fatty acids, however there's a issue here.

1) The fiber when broken down by bacteria produces a gas called Hydrogen, given that the intestines are only 0.2 to 2.5 mm in colonic segments with a diameter of 3-4 cm

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11801911/#:~:text=Results%3A%20The%20normal%20colonic%20wall,diameter%20of%201%2D2%20cm.

These gases build up causing irritation and leading to bloating which again worsens anyone with IBS/IBD, even a health person without these two conditions find difficulty consuming fiber.

2) You're feeding bad bacteria as well, such as Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, lactococci, streptococci(only certain subtypes) Enterococci, Lactobacillus fermentum, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Lactobacillus paracasei, Lactobacillus gasseri, Lactobacillus reuteri, Lactobacillus salivarius, Lactobacillus helveticus

Clostridium, Faecalibacterium, Eubacterium, Ruminococcus, Peptococcus, Peptostreptococcus, Acinetobacter calcoaceticus

Bacteroides, Bifidobacterium, Streptococcus, Enterobacteriaceae, Enterococcus, Lactobacillus, and Ruminococcus, Campylobacter, Clostridium perfringens, E. coli,Listeria, Norovirus, Salmonella,

3) Fiber also contributes to two very nasty conditions called metabolic syndrome and mass cell activation by increasing sensitivity to histamine which can be read either by a IgE

Here are my sources

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15654804/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/488767/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/#:~:text=In%20our%20recent%20study%2C%20patients,from%20abdominal%20bloatedness%20and%20pain.

Chart:

https://www.thecarnivoredietcoach.com/news/fibre-essential-human-diet

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29102613/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4250613/

Can anybody actually chime in on when they’re benzo belly went away? I need reassurance

I had benzo belly the first 9 days, and now it's much better. But it's still messy. I have to be careful of what I eat. I could eat "anything" before, without big issues.

Edit : Oh, you have benzo belly since a year ? That's long 0.o. Stay strong.

@Greyzone1961 -> a good friend just go colocrectal cancer. He wasn't eating a lot of fibers at all. It seems to be a factor. But other factors too, so hard to know the exact cause. Multifactorial.

Fibers are very good ( my opinion ). With moderation, like everything.

And the more fibers you eat, the more easily it will be processed, and the belly will get used to it.

Sugar is much more devastating. Fat too ( not helping with benzo belly ). But yeah, fibers may be hard to digest, if not used to it, and can reinforce benzo belly.

I agree with you leamm, fibre is essential to help waste travel through the gut, too much can cause constipation if not enough fluids are drunk. Greyzone is wrong by saying motility issues don't exist, I've had gut motility tests that have shown slow gut motility and fibre does help that.

I agree with you leamm, fibre is essential to help waste travel through the gut, too much can cause constipation if not enough fluids are drunk. Greyzone is wrong by saying motility issues don't exist, I've had gut motility tests that have shown slow gut motility and fibre does help that.

What you're not going to do is lie about something I did not say, if you need clarification ask don't assume. I'll wait... When did I ever say that mobility issues don't exist... I'll wait. I'm very particular with my words hey I myself have lived with mobility issues most of my adult live. If you don't agree with my findings which once again most major nutrition and gastro organizations/sciences agree while I displayed my proof, but if you dint agree just say that... But don't make stuff up and take my words out of context while creating your own narrative to feel better I expected better and I deserve to be treated better. If you have opposing data outside of epidemiological, observational reports which again are the weakest in science literature and outside of a anecdotal report... I'm all ears but don't lie about.

Hi sleepyjo,

It might be time to back up your statements with credible studies.  By the way, I couldn't find where Greyzone1961 mentioned motility issues either.

Pamster

Sorry about that, I though greyzone meant gut motility. There is no reason to post such agressive replies, and Pamster, I backed up what I said from my own experiences. I don't lie!

I agree, it's too agressive.

Science about food is so limited, here in Europa / USA. But it's not something new ( Ayurveda, Chinese medicine, etc ).

Researches are founded. No money, no research.

Food is very complex, like the brain. There are no proofs, otherwise it's not science. It's just probability.

We are all similar in a way, but different. So we don't know how food affect our body. Of course, eating too much sugar isn't good. But what is too much for you ?

So excuse me Greyzone, but I don't care about your studies. It's kind of low quality. Very limited.

Thanks for that Leam, I was surprised by Pamsters comment too. It seems that if you don't agree with everyone's opinion on this site you get attacked

I'm surprised and dismayed you saw my request as an attack sleepyjo and I certainly don't think you're a liar.  My asking for credible studies I felt was appropriate since you were directly refuting Greyzone1961's comments by saying they were wrong, it was only after that you included your personal experience. 

Sorry about that, I though greyzone meant gut motility. There is no reason to post such agressive replies, and Pamster, I backed up what I said from my own experiences. I don't lie!

It was greyzone that called me a liar and you did not comment about that. I have apologised for my mistake and I suggest you ' reprimand ' people who make such nasty and aggressive comments, and if you read my post you'd have seen that I did say that I had gut motility tests. It was an easy mistake to make if someone was talking about fibre.

It was greyzone that called me a liar and you did not comment about that. I have apologised for my mistake and I suggest you ' reprimand ' people who make such nasty and aggressive comments, and if you read my post you'd have seen that I did say that I had gut motility tests. It was an easy mistake to make if someone was talking about fibre.

Thanks for pointing out that Greyzone1961 said you lied, you're right, that was a unfortunate choice of words, I'm sorry I didn't see that.  I'd say this would be a good place to end this discussion.

I'm sorry... I called you a liar? Making up things again are we? Again I'll wait... When did I call you a liar I'd love to see this.

You either have very poor comprehensive skills or you simply enjoy making things up to get out of a problem you create. I can summarize if you'd like and afterwords I'd like to see where you found any of my sentences/paragraphs calling you a liar.

1) Our first interaction began with you assuming all diets I mentioned was unfit for human consumption due to lack of fiber. I replied with a "This is false" (Which does not equate to calling you a liar) then I went on to disproved your argument , gave creditable resources and links.

As a counter you then went on to complete ignore all the bodies of information and again creditable resources by agreeing with "Leamm", You actually agreed with him based off anecdotal evidence which in the medical setting is the lowest tier of research as its untrust worthy, conclusions can't be repeated and personal experience can't be recorded as its singular and unable to be replicated.

2) within the post agreeing with Leann, you then called me out.. Accused me of saying and  suggesting that human gut mobility isn't real.

I responded, again no mention of a liar recorded anywhere by defending, breaking down my previous comment and following this up with further conclusive evidence to back my claim up again.

You replied by addressing responsibly by fixing this mistake by assuring that you assumed that I was talking about mobility in humans which I thought that would be the end of things but nope... You're once again starting up with me for no reason. Now you need to back up your claims... "Where and when did I call you a liar" and why are you starting problems with me again? I did nothing but true and inform you on conclusive and new bodies of evidence to help you, you've done nothing but come at me without proof... You continue to use anecdotal evidence which again is worthless to a collective conclusion within medical research and now you're being disrespectful by putting words in my mouth. Stop doing that.

Again I structure my sentences/paragraphs in a very particular structure so things like this doesn't happen and I can recall what I said.  Show proof please so we can address this. I'm sorry... I called you a liar? Making up things again are we? Again I'll wait... When did I call you a liar I'd love to see this.

You either have very poor comprehensive skills or you simply enjoy making things up to get out of a problem you create. I can summarize if you'd like and afterwords I'd like to see where you found any of my sentences/paragraphs calling you a liar.

1) Our first interaction began with you assuming all diets I mentioned was unfit for human consumption due to lack of fiber. I replied with a "This is false" (Which does not equate to calling you a liar) then I went on to disproved your argument , gave creditable resources and links.

As a counter you then went on to complete ignore all the bodies of information and again creditable resources by agreeing with "Leamm", You actually agreed with him based off anecdotal evidence which in the medical setting is the lowest tier of research as its untrust worthy, conclusions can't be repeated and personal experience can't be recorded as its singular and unable to be replicated.

2) within the post agreeing with Leann, you then called me out.. Accused me of saying and  suggesting that human gut mobility isn't real.

I responded, again no mention of a liar recorded anywhere by defending, breaking down my previous comment and following this up with further conclusive evidence to back my claim up again.

You replied by addressing responsibly by fixing this mistake by assuring that you assumed that I was talking about mobility in humans which I thought that would be the end of things but nope... You're once again starting up with me for no reason. Now you need to back up your claims... "Where and when did I call you a liar" and why are you starting problems with me again? Oh and now you're playing victim as if you were attacked for not agreeing.... You just say anything don't you? What's next? When did I attack you lol again I'd love to see this

I did nothing but true and inform you on conclusive and new bodies of evidence to help you, you've done nothing but come at me without proof... You continue to use anecdotal evidence which again is worthless to a collective conclusion within medical research and now you're being disrespectful by putting words in my mouth. Stop doing that.

Again I structure my sentences/paragraphs in a very particular structure so things like this doesn't happen and I can recall what I said.  Show proof please so we can address this.