Anal fissure

[Yo...]

Has anybody here developed an anal fissure due to quitting benzos because the stomach became so upset? My stomach has been in so much pain along with my mental health and also the fissure. It’s all just so much and really want all of my suffering to end.

I developed one after surgery - not related to Benz withdrawal.  You MUST see a colo-rectal surgeon for treatment.  It will not go away on its own.  They have topical medications that stop the spasms that prevent the fissure from healing. I am about 6 weeks out from diagnosis and still haven't healed, but the pain is wayyyyyyy better. It's the worst!

I know this is scary Yolo, but it's survivable. I developed one on my taper due to (infrequent) eating of the wrong things. Basically I ate whatever would stay down -- usually Ramen noodles. And I got constipated.  Not good. Anyhow:

Anal fissures are most commonly caused by damage to the lining of the anus or anal canal, the last part of the large intestine. Most cases occur in people who have constipation, when a particularly hard or large poo tears the lining of the anal canal. Other possible causes of anal fissures include: persistent diarrhoea.

I "fixed" my fissure at home. I just consulted my gp, who examined the fissure and agreed with this. He didn't think I  needed to see a colorectal surgeon:

Anal fissures often heal within a few weeks if you take steps to keep your stool soft, such as increasing your intake of fiber and fluids. Soaking in warm water for 10 to 20 minutes several times a day, especially after bowel movements, can help relax the sphincter and promote healing.

I bought a Sitz bath, and took a "butt bath" every couple of hours. You can buy a Sitz bath at any pharmacy. I was able to eat a little better as my taper improved, drank lots of water, and used a stool softener (docusate). For the pain, I used lidocaine. For the first few days, I used topical nitroglycerin, which he prescribed. It felt a lot better in a week and was pretty much healed in 2.

It's miserable, Yolo, but it's survivable. You do NOT need to see a surgeon unless it does not heal on its own. It might not be a fissure -- it might just be a painful hemmorhoid. Even your gp can take a look and tell you what's up. ( Believe me, you do not want colorectal surgery unless it's a last resort. A friend had to have it and it's excruciatingly painful from what I understand).

Best to you,

Katz

My colorectal surgeon - who has not recommended surgery - STRONGLY recommended Benefiber 3 times a day.  It really works miracles.  The nitroglycerin ointment is super expensive!  I think it was nearly $100 with insurance!!  And the headaches for me were intense.  Because of that, I am on a calcium channel blocker ointment, which I don't think is as effective as the nitro.  Also, sits baths several times a day.  So important!

Yolo, are you constipated? What benzos/meds were/are you taking?

I had taken diazepam 5 mg for 7 years and then cold turkeyed. Ever since I stopped I had horrible GI issues which caused me a fissure. I had surgery for it and it still doesn’t heal. I’ve been off the diazepam for over 11 months at this point and my stomach seems to still be terrible. My fissure itches and burns like crazy. I also had a colonoscopy which showed nothing wrong. The doc that did my fissure surgery put me on some antibiotics thinking it’s possibly an infection. I took it and had dark urine and dark diarrhea. He told me I need to eat with it but it was so hard due to it making Everything taste bad. I tried but ended up throwing up and begging God to take my life. I’m no longer taking it as I’ve taken it for 4 days at most it was terrible. Now my bowels are no longer working and I’m constipated again. At least before taking the antibiotics my bowels were at least moving. I find taking that shit only made the fissure worse. My stomach is still terrible and I don’t know what to think whether it be from the diazepam or an infection

I’ve only been taking miralax and drinking a lot of water and eating fruit. I want to run outside but the fissure prevents me. I don’t deserve this suffering. I also have DP/DR.

I simply have no idea what to think anymore. Is it even withdrawal anymore? It feels like im in hell and there isn’t any way out. Feels like there’s a monster in my stomach

If you would post your benzo stats in your sig, Yolo, that would be helpful. You know . . . when you started taking what, how much, and where you are in your taper or w/d.

Katz

If you haven't already, perhaps you need stool studies - stool culture, O & P, hemocult, etc.  I will add that once the bowels get in disarray, it can take a while to right the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There. I think it is most definitely all ‘withdrawal’ although I feel that word really doesn’t cut it. It’s benzo damage that ‘rears’ its ugly head as the effected areas ‘freak out’ and then heal when use of this drug is discontinued. 

At a year and a half and at 1mg I have a flare up of anal fissures that I’d get whenever I made a reduction. I’ve had this for a year. Castor oil topically and frequent baths including epsom salt ones seem to help.

My diet is excellent but when it isn’t yeah I pay for it in symptoms. This will go away. I know this because I have had windows of feeling really good, while holding at 4 for example. It is easy to panic, I know. Panicking and running for tests seems to be an endless chasing of ones own tail.  :)

I am going to take myself to the beach and throw a stick for myself, anything to distract!!!

Fissures can be caused by eating tree nuts: chestnuts, walnuts, pecans, and especially almonds. They are not completely digested and they can damage the tissues as they pass through the alimentary canal. If you're someone who likes to sit back and munch mixed nuts, that could be the cause of your problem.

Fissures can be caused by eating tree nuts: chestnuts, walnuts, pecans, and especially almonds. They are not completely digested and they can damage the tissues as they pass through the alimentary canal. If you're someone who likes to sit back and munch mixed nuts, that could be the cause of your problem.

nah bro I don’t eat that stuff at all but my grandpa does. He sits there and munches on pecans and he never had this problem.

Lidocaine worked for me, Yolo. I used nitroglycerin (needs a doc's script) for awhile before that. It worked okay but gives you a headache. Nitro will heal it. Lidocaine will stop the itch and occasional pain. It's miserable, I know. Oh, and sitz baths help, too.

Best,

Katz

My thoughts are like this. This fissure cannot heal unless the benzo belly goes away no matter what. I’m just waiting it out for it to go away. Cuz like I had surgery for the fissure as it is and it didn’t heal. Once the belly goes away, i guess I’ll simply get surgery for it again and hopefully I’ll be fully healed after that.

That’s what I’ve been doing miralax and warm baths but to no avail it does nothing. I’ve also been applying some fissure oil on my ass. That’s basically what the stuff is. I can’t believe that stopping benzos would do this shit to the stomach and the benzo I was on wasn’t a strong benzo and also a low dose. I just don’t know why I have so much bad luck. I wish I never smoked pot and got anxiety. Life was so good before it. Now I’ve lost myself and all that is left is constant pain and suffering.