Duneman1 tapering valium and taking occasional alcohol

[du...]

73 year old man prescribed 5mg valium 3 x day and took 4 years. 3 weeks ago cut50% to 2.5 mg 3x day. Doctor does not know.  Depression lifted now back. Have 2 to 3 drinks of alcohol twice a week to help when feeling weird and like going crazy. It's releives.

Feel now this a.m. like losing my my mind . should I wuit taper and go back to 5 mg. ??

Thanks

I would avoid the alcohol if you can, it affects the same receptors in the brain as benzo's, this is why they give it to alcoholics in detox to stop the DT's, alcohol is sometimes referred to as liquid benzo's.  Your brain can't tell the difference between the two so in effect, you're supplementing the Valium with the alcohol.

Do you have enough pills to do a slow taper even though your doctor isn't aware?  If you do, then I feel it would be wise to slow this down so you can function.  If you're not well, you may want to consider going up in dose and tapering a lot slower.

A slow steady decline in the drug is what we hope to see, so please don't be in a hurry to do this or you'll incapacitate yourself further.  Your brain is healing as you taper and will continue to heal once you're off of the drug so please take your time and treat yourself with gentleness.

You can manipulate your doses however you need in order to accommodate your lifestyle.  If you feel worse in the morning, you can leave that dose heavy for now, if you need the Valium for sleep, then you can bump that one up.  Consistency is important, your brain craves it so try to take your doses at the same time each day and once you set on the amount for a particular reduction, keep that same schedule until you stabilize. 

We define stable as able to carry out your daily duties, its when your symptoms from the last reduction have settled a bit and have quite changing drastically, it doesn't mean feeling good, that comes after recovery.

Before we discuss how you want to slow your taper down, can you tell me the size of your pills?

Tapering is all about listening to your symptoms and letting them guide you, yours were telling you that you reduced too much too fast so you went back up in dose.  Its best to make smaller reductions rather than updosing, as I said, your brain craves consistency. 

I would hold your current dose for a few days so things can settle down, then you can consider splitting one of your 5 mg pills in half or quarters and take that for a week or two.  Give your body time to catch up to these reductions so you can function going forward. 

Most of our members will still suffer with symptoms even after the drug has been eliminated so it's better to allow your brain time to heal as you reduce because once off the drug, you'll be at the mercy of your symptoms.