How to access a benzo wise doctor in the UK?

[0d...]

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [di...]

• [Li...]

• [Re...]

• [Si...]

Thank you for lending a helping hand, new0girl.

Just to clarify …

The individuals listed on the page you linked are ‘withdrawal advisors’ (benzo coaches) not prescribers.  My understanding is the first one listed (Baylissa Frederick) is still active.  The second one (Ian Singleton) died in 2022.  I do not know the status of the third.

[0d...]

Let’s see if anyone else can provide some options, as the forum starts to build up traffic over the next few hours.

Lib: Thank you!

Per my post, the individuals are not prescribers.  They may, however, be able to suggest prescribers.  You would have to contact them to ask.  If memory serves, I gave you a list of possible UK charities in the UK to contact a while back, did you try any of them?

Hypothetically speaking, if I could get someone to prescribe, what would I need to do then? What would you both suggest WS, Libertas? Just so I know incase I could get some.

Thank you both so much for trying to help me.

Liberates, I don't recollect you giving me any. Things have been so bad. I don't recollect 😢

Here’s my post from your Introductions thread.

Given that the doctors in your local practice are unwilling to prescribe, have you tried finding a different prescriber, preferably one who is up-to-speed on the latest NICE recommendations regarding safe withdrawal management for benzodiazepines (see link below)?

For example, I wonder if your pharmacist might be willing to share the names of doctors in your area who prescribe benzodiazepines?  I also wonder if any of the following charities might maintain databases of ‘benzodiazepine-aware’ prescribers?  (These charities may also be able to help you with the other issues you are facing.)

MIND

https://www.mind.org.uk/

Postscript360 (Bristol)

https://www.postscript360.org.uk/

REST (Camden & Islington)

https://www.mentalhealthcamden.co.uk/services/rest-tranquilliser-service

Link:

Recommendations | Medicines associated with dependence or withdrawal symptoms: safe prescribing and withdrawal management for adults | Guidance | NICE

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng215/chapter/Recommendations#withdrawing-a-dependence-forming-medicine-or-antidepressant

[0d...]
Pretty simple really. Slow down and smaller reductions to keep you more functional and bring you off the medication as gently as possible.

It's much different here in the UK. It's very difficult to change doctors and even when you do, they are still not willing to prescribe. You can't even get to speak with a doctor. You have to ring them promptly at 8am and tell the receptionist your problem. She will then pass it to a GP and they will then decide whether to give you a call back. Both of my daughters have rang and so has their father and each time, the receptionist told them that all three doctors had put on my file, '' no more diazepam'' they don't even give you a 4 week supply even when first prescribing. They gave me propranolol instead and also offered citalopram which I refused!! I do take the propranolol though to help with the anxiety that withdrawals are causing but they aren't very effective!!

[0d...]

It's much different here in the UK. It's very difficult to change doctors and even when you do, they are still not willing to prescribe. You can't even get to speak with a doctor. You have to ring them promptly at 8am and tell the receptionist your problem. She will then pass it to a GP and they will then decide whether to give you a call back. Both of my daughters have rang and so has their father and each time, the receptionist told them that all three doctors had put on my file, '' no more diazepam'' they don't even give you a 4 week supply even when first prescribing. They gave me propranolol instead and also offered citalopram which I refused!! I do take the propranolol though to help with the anxiety that withdrawals are causing but they aren't very effective!!

Yeah, I‘ve heard about the problems with the way the system works and the reluctance to prescribe, but honestly, it’s not possible that there aren’t any benzo wise doctors in the uk willing to prescribe. Finding them seems to be the tricky thing. But they must be out there, absolutely no doubt.

I've even contacted Dr Mark Horowitz but haven't had a reply. He himself suffers damage from antidepressants. There are no pharmacies open till Monday morning so no one can even ring them to see if they know any benzo wise doctors. 😕

[0d...]

No pharmacies open on the weekend?

We have many pharmacies open all weekend here. But if that’s the case, just ring around on Monday!

No. No pharmacies over the weekend. I don't know what's happened to my country.

Thank you all for the help. I obviously still don't have a clue how this is going to turn out. I've just been looking online for private doctors but no idea if they are legitimate. I feel I'm going to have no choice but to keep cutting 0.25mg every 2 weeks as Bob7 suggested and hope to god for the best 😕

I was with Postscript 360 who are good but you should ask to have Suzanne or Terri as your contact, not Holly.  I've left them for now as Holly screwed my life up and my situation is so unusual it was hard for Terri to save the day. 

They liaise with your GP so may be able to persuade them to prescribe.

Otherwise I've found a good and flexible psychiatrist who is anti-psychiatric drugs.  His name is [redacted].  He advocates the typical 1mg per 2 weeks reduction, but flexible.  With me we're now trying to go faster, but he would go along with slower too. 

He is in London but you can book appointments via zoom.  Just google him.  appointments are around £170 a session.  Obviously he will prescribe too. 

Edit: Removed doctors name per forum policy.

You are not permitted to use this community as a platform to spread general anti-doctor, anti-psychiatry and/or anti-health care professional propaganda. Nor should you name those involved in your healthcare. For more about this policy, please read our Anti-doctor, Anti-psychiatrist and Anti-medicine Comments notice.

Sorry just rereading the nice low doses you are at...he advocates 0.5mg per 2 weeks after you get to 5mg.  Or as I say I'm sure he'd go along with slower.

Hi! And thank you so much for jumping in here. I have a very good personal friend who is ex chair of a Benzodiazepine withdrawal clinic here in England and before I joined benzobuddies he also said to cut by 0.50mg every 2 weeks. I did however go along with Bob7's taper of 0.25mg every 2 weeks due to my symptoms and not being stable. How many sessions do you need to have with the private psychiatrist!?

I've been discussing it with my family and they are saying to get it over with, with only being on 1.75mg then I can start to heal so I'm really confused in what to do.

Thank you so much

Diana

[0d...]
It’s your decision what to do dido, but with all due respect to your family, they are not the ones who have to endure the potential suffering. Many have jumped from the dose you’re at and regretted it, only to be then reinstated and tapered lower and slower before eventually jumping. But, it is absolutely your decision.

I second Winters Sun's advice. Also, we heal as we slowly go down too. Otherwise, everybody would just CT to start the healing process as soon as possible. You might find the following video useful:

Thanks Libertas for stepping in and providing accurate information, you are much more knowledgeable than I am.

Hi WS  thank you again. I should rephrase that. My family think I should just carry on with Bob7's schedule and get it over with  instead of dragging things out especially when I'm getting no relief from my dose.  Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you so much for your concern WS, it means a lot. Thank you.

Thank you New0Girl.