Announcement: It is with regret... ×

Menopause/Hormonal Support

[Di...]

Hi Journey

Thank you for messaging back.i am not a smoker.

Can you tell me more about the foods you mean please? I have no idea about tem. I would appreciate knowing that.

What are examples of gaba agonists?

Sorry to be so green and naive. I am getting awfully upset here that I cannot make progress.

Thank you MP

Thank you. I dont understand why it is so difficult for me here. Are you cutting and holding at 1mg? For how long? Have you no symptoms?

Are you taking supplements as well?

That is good news. I am struggling. How big a cut did you do?

Hi Miss Piggy

I am not having bad symptoms, I just did a cut recently.

I will taper the progesterone capsule after the valium, and I look forward to being free from the need of a pharmacy.

I did a 1mg cut this time.

I'm quartering pills-it's a bit awkward.

I take 6.5mg twice a day, I will update my signature line.

I am taking supplements, I am trying to get a regime right.

I cut and hold.

I can't tell if I have symptoms as I take progesterone and my own body makes progesterone erratically.

Are you eating foods that inhibit or induce the CYP liver enzymes that metabolise valium?

Are you taking any GABA agonists?

Are you smoking?

I am not accusing, I am just trying to find out what is wrong.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Di...]

• [Sm...]

• [...]

• [va...]

Top Posters In This Topic

My heart goes out to you.

Are you sure it's the cuts that are making you feel bad?

I do not mean to invalidate you, I ask because I don't know.

We are all learning, you are not green and naive.

I got myself all stressed about this stuff and my diet was restricted, now I eat what I like.

It's probably not helping, but it's just so hassle restricting diet.

Feel free to message me privately and I will try my best to help.

I'm no scientist, but know that diazepam is metabolised by certain liver enzymes which start with CYP, one of the is CYP3A4, you can google the others.

Some foods or drinks or drugs or supplements keep valium in the system longer as they are inhibitors of these enzymes.

Other foods  or drinks or drugs or supplements clear valium out the system too quick as they are inducers.

It's too complicated for me, I know cruciferous veggies are inducers.

I don't want to worry you, as I got hung up on these things.

You can do a search and I will do my best to share what I know, which isn't as much as others.

A gaba agonist is anything that binds to the GABAA receptor, like Kava, for instance, or alcohol, or some drugs, st johns wort herb, there are others.

Hi Journey

Can you tell me more about the foods you mean please? I have no idea about tem. I would appreciate knowing that.

Sorry to be so green and naive. I am getting awfully upset here that I cannot make progress.

Thank you MP

Thank you. I dont understand why it is so difficult for me here. Are you cutting and holding at 1mg? For how long? Have you no symptoms?

Hi Miss Piggy

I will taper the progesterone capsule after the valium, and I look forward to being free from the need of a pharmacy.

I cut and hold.

I can't tell if I have symptoms as I take progesterone and my own body makes progesterone erratically.

Are you eating foods that inhibit or induce the CYP liver enzymes that metabolise valium?

Are you smoking?

Thank you Journey.  I will message you. Thank you for your help

I got myself all stressed about this stuff and my diet was restricted, now I eat what I like.

I'm no scientist, but know that diazepam is metabolised by certain liver enzymes which start with CYP, one of the is CYP3A4, you can google the others.

Some foods or drinks or drugs or supplements keep valium in the system longer as they are inhibitors of these enzymes.

Other foods  or drinks or drugs or supplements clear valium out the system too quick as they are inducers.

You can do a search and I will do my best to share what I know, which isn't as much as others.

A gaba agonist is anything that binds to the GABAA receptor, like Kava, for instance, or alcohol, or some drugs, st johns wort herb, there are others.

Hi Journey

Thank you MP

Hi Miss Piggy

I cut and hold.

Are you smoking?

You're welcome.

I'd remove some of the

but it takes me ages, as I often mess it up.

I will look at your message now.

Thank you Journey.  I will message you. Thank you for your help

Hi Journey

Thank you MP

Hi Miss Piggy

I cut and hold.

Are you smoking?

• 2 weeks later...

Asking here in case anyone picks this up and can advise....

I am considering reducing the synthetic progesterone patch by 1/4 (I take it 2 weeks a month) but I am very concerned about it. I was put on the patches by the GP during lock down to raise low mood and not as intended hrt. I also have a synthetic prog bc pill as well.

I feel that the fluctuating hormone patches may be stopping me from reducing my diazepam more smoothly.

I am looking to hear from people who have any ideas on this.

At the moment I am stuck in a low place and need to start to make a plan to try to progress again.

Thank you

MP

I am considering reducing the synthetic progesterone patch by 1/4 (I take it 2 weeks a month) but I am very concerned about it. I was put on the patches by the GP during lock down to raise low mood and not as intended hrt. I also have a synthetic prog bc pill as well.

I feel that the fluctuating hormone patches may be stopping me from reducing my diazepam more smoothly.

At the moment I am stuck in a low place and need to start to make a plan to try to progress again.

Thank you

MP

Hi, sorry you are in a low place.

Thank you

MP

Thanks Journey. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thank you

MP

Hi, can you remind me if you are also on oestrogen?

I need to know as taking oestrogen without progesterone when you have a womb can put you at risk of cancer.

Thank you

MP

I need to know as taking oestrogen without progesterone when you have a womb can put you at risk of cancer.

Yes taking both

2 weeks of estrogen patches

2 weeks of progesterone/estrogen together

Thanks journey

Thank you

MP

Yes taking both

Thanks journey

I also have a pop (progesterone only) bc pill as well!

Thank you

MP

Yes taking both

Thanks journey

Is it evorel Conti?

I am no expert, but if I were you, I wouldn't cut it abruptly, I would cut a sliver off, and I definitely would not use oestrogen alone, it's a womb cancer risk, feel free to message me.

Evorel Sequi

Is there any other ladies out there who have experience in getting off bc or hrt on their benzo?

It cannot just be me and journey!

If you dont want to write here please message me if you want privacy

Thank you

Thank you

MP

Yes taking both

Thanks journey

Is it evorel Conti?

I am no expert, but if I were you, I wouldn't cut it abruptly, I would cut a sliver off, and I definitely would not use oestrogen alone, it's a womb cancer risk, feel free to message me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder if anyone has been setback from bioidentical HRT whose been off the benzo for awhile?

Progesterone can cause problems in some women.

Hi, I’m in HRT withdrawal now and went through benzo withdrawal in 2014. It’s been absolutely horrible. I had to Ct my progesterone cream after it became paradoxical and stopped working. I also stopped my testosterone cream and estradiol patch. I never should’ve been put on progesterone. I told my doctor about my benzo withdrawal and she said it should not affect me at all.

Well I took it all for 7 months, then I started getting weird sensory symptoms, and depression. Then overnight I had severe anxiety and panic and couldn’t sleep. My progesterone basically started shocking my cns. It caused anxiety overnight. I had to stop it. I tried to reinstate a couple of weeks later but it did the same thing on the second day. I was so bad and so desperate for relief of my symptoms that I took ativan for 2 days, then tried to start remeron on 2 different occasions & gabapentin. All were paradoxical. I was then placed on propranolol 80 mgs for anxiety and panic. Still on it and tapering off. I also got akathisia from this withdrawal and possibly propranolol. It’s been a horror show.

I can’t believe I was healed for 8 years and ruined my life by going on hrt. My gyno said she’s never had a patient react like me to coming off hormones. I was the first. It’s very much like benzo withdrawal, I have severe anxiety, adrenaline surges, burning skin, fear, and more fear. I don’t know how long it will take to heal. My life is on hold and has been since June. I should’ve come back to bb to look up any interactions to hormones, I would’ve found all my answers and never gone on it. I’m in hell. I pray I get through it again.

Laelani

I wonder if anyone has been setback from bioidentical HRT whose been off the benzo for awhile?

Hi, I’m in HRT withdrawal now and went through benzo withdrawal in 2014. It’s been absolutely horrible. I had to Ct my progesterone cream after it became paradoxical and stopped working. I also stopped my testosterone cream and estradiol patch. I never should’ve been put on progesterone. I told my doctor about my benzo withdrawal and she said it should not affect me at all.

Well I took it all for 7 months, then I started getting weird sensory symptoms, and depression. Then overnight I had severe anxiety and panic and couldn’t sleep. My progesterone basically started shocking my cns. It caused anxiety overnight. I had to stop it. I tried to reinstate a couple of weeks later but it did the same thing on the second day. I was so bad and so desperate for relief of my symptoms that I took ativan for 2 days, then tried to start remeron on 2 different occasions & gabapentin. All were paradoxical. I was then placed on propranolol 80 mgs for anxiety and panic. Still on it and tapering off. I also got akathisia from this withdrawal and possibly propranolol. It’s been a horror show.

I can’t believe I was healed for 8 years and ruined my life by going on hrt. My gyno said she’s never had a patient react like me to coming off hormones. I was the first. It’s very much like benzo withdrawal, I have severe anxiety, adrenaline surges, burning skin, fear, and more fear. I don’t know how long it will take to heal. My life is on hold and has been since June. I should’ve come back to bb to look up any interactions to hormones, I would’ve found all my answers and never gone on it. I’m in hell. I pray I get through it again.

Laelani

I just wanted to say I am so sorry this has happened to you.

I also have been placed on hrt during my taper and would like to come off it as dont think it is agreeing with me but the doctors do not have a clue about any interaction. I have spoken to several. It was the pharmacist who mentioned it to me when I asked.

I wish the same as you that I had read first instead of trusting them.

Hopefully someone who has been in a similar position to you comes along to reassure.

I just wanted you to know that you were not alone in making choices which we did not know would be to our detriment.

Take big big care MP

Laelani

I just wanted to say I am so sorry this has happened to you.

I also have been placed on hrt during my taper and would like to come off it as dont think it is agreeing with me but the doctors do not have a clue about any interaction. I have spoken to several. It was the pharmacist who mentioned it to me when I asked.

I wish the same as you that I had read first instead of trusting them.

Hopefully someone who has been in a similar position to you comes along to reassure.

I just wanted you to know that you were not alone in making choices which we did not know would be to our detriment.

Take big big care MP

I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this too during your taper. Thank you for reaching out with your supportive thoughts. It’s been so difficult to have to go through this again. I have ptsd from the last one which makes this so much harder. I also am trying to come off propranolol which makes things more difficult. I would love to see if anyone chimes in who’s been through this too once healed from benzos. It would help. Praying I get through it and I heal soon. I have akathisia from it or the propranolol, not sure, so it’s made things even worse for me. I’ve cut down the propranolol and I haven’t had it for 5 days so far which is really good. Praying fervently for full & complete healing🙏🏼

Laelani

• 4 weeks later...

Laelani

I’m so sorry Laelani. I’m 7.5 years off benzo cold turkey and have suffered tremendously. I’m 54 and post menopausal. All my hormone tests including saliva came back low on progesterone, dhea, and  estrone. My functional doctor talked me into trying a very low dose of DHEA (5 mgs) after 2 months it’s giving me heightened anxiety almost panic like. I’m now trying to wean off of it. I will never try hormone therapy ever again. What a nightmare..!!! (( Hugs)).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there.

I'm reading all these posts and am wondering...are you lovely ladies taking HRT because you are in menopause or peri?

I'm in peri and this has been a nightmare but am hoping it gets better with menopause and without all the fluctuations as this seems to be what kills me each time. Like my brain can't handle any chemical changes. My period was two weeks late this month and it was actually worse. Now symptoms are horrible as it is ending. I guess I was just hoping things get better when it's all over. I just turned 49 and believe I've been in peri for 3 years. Thank you and am so sorry to those of you suffering.  :smitten:

• 2 months later...
Oh boy.  My psychiatrist recommended I get my hormones checked.  I have an appointment with a different GYN in a couple of weeks and have been reading this thread from the beginning.  At first I was grasping onto HRT as being the missing link in helping me with depression, anxiety, etc.  I am officially in meno now for about a year.  Has anyone successfully began HRT while tapering or is the consensus here to avoid it at all costs?  I would need progesterone. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been scrolling through the menopause support pages today as it’s just occurred to me that maybe I’m experiencing a lot of menopausal symptoms alongside my taper.

I have some Bio Identical Progesterone & Estrogen that I used briefly earlier in the year however became side tracked by rapid taper and stopped using them. I do recall feeling AMAZING whilst using them. Yesterday I applied some & by coincidence my digestive symptoms seem to have slightly dissipated.

I’ll keep applying until I can organise to see a specialist.

I’m just wondering what the general consensus is on tapering & HRT?

(Apologies if I’ve high jacked someone’s post as unable to find where to create new post).

I need to update my signature however I’m currently on 6mg V, Effexor 150mg (tapering) & recently started Mirtazapine 7.5mg (makes me feel like a Zombie) Just stopped taking Clonazepam yesterday.  also.

I’ve been scrolling through the menopause support pages today as it’s just occurred to me that maybe I’m experiencing a lot of menopausal symptoms alongside my taper.

I have some Bio Identical Progesterone & Estrogen that I used briefly earlier in the year however became side tracked by rapid taper and stopped using them. I do recall feeling AMAZING whilst using them. Yesterday I applied some & by coincidence my digestive symptoms seem to have slightly dissipated.

I’ll keep applying until I can organise to see a specialist.

I’m just wondering what the general consensus is on tapering & HRT?

(Apologies if I’ve high jacked someone’s post as unable to find where to create new post).

I need to update my signature however I’m currently on 6mg V, Effexor 150mg (tapering) & recently started Mirtazapine 7.5mg (makes me feel like a Zombie) Just stopped taking Clonazepam yesterday.  also.

Avoid using progesterone as you have been on benzos.

Progesterone is not addictive, but it is for us, who have been dependent on benzos.

Using it will cause you problems.

If you still have a womb, you cannot use oestrogen without progesterone, so if I were you I would avoid HRT.

I hope that helps.

I tried .1 estrogen patch and 200 micronized oral progresterone and had a horrible anxiety reaction.  I'm still recovering from it and last dose was Saturday evening.    It really is a shame that a psychiatrist who is supposed to know about the benzos, would not have any caution about progesterone.