Menopause/Hormonal Support

[Di...]

Did you stop the progesterone during your taper?

I’m so sorry you went through that horrible reaction and are now suffering with more symptoms, Leilani. I had horrible reactions to progesterone too but felt better after I stopped it. I hope you can stabilize and feel better soon. Hugs!

I tried the progesterone after I rapid-tapered Clonazepam, but was still in acute…. I was so ignorant about benzos and I thought hormones would help me, but it was too soon, and now 5 years off the benzo I still fear going on hormones.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Di...]

• [Sm...]

• [...]

• [va...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Tatertot.

I was put on HRT after I was already on the benzos but my dips are coming so fast at the moment - even without reducing - I think the progesterone is playing a part. However I am now so scared to stop anything!

Take care

I’m so sorry you went through that horrible reaction and are now suffering with more symptoms, Leilani. I had horrible reactions to progesterone too but felt better after I stopped it. I hope you can stabilize and feel better soon. Hugs!

I tried the progesterone after I rapid-tapered Clonazepam, but was still in acute…. I was so ignorant about benzos and I thought hormones would help me, but it was too soon, and now 5 years off the benzo I still fear going on hormones.

TaterTot 91- Did you only try it once after your jump off clonazepam? Or did you use it for a while? Did you have a bad reaction to it? Did it set you back in your healing? I’m just wondering if I’m having so many similar symptoms because progesterone is cross tolerant to benzos. Every doctor seems to think it’s not the same. I’m not getting any answers or help from anyone, including doctors. I’m just really suffering.

I took a progesterone pill daily for about a week and a half and I started getting suicidal thoughts. They started within a few days of taking the progesterone. I stayed on the pill for awhile, very confused...not putting two and two together. Then suddenly, the thoughts got so bad that I realized I needed to stop the progesterone and see what would happen. I stopped the pill and the suicidal thoughts stopped. I have read other women's stories of the same thing happening to them. It's a horribly adverse reaction.

I was in acute still when I went through it, so it is hard to say how far it set me back, but yes, I believe it had a horrible effect on me. I don't know how progesterone works on receptors, but if you do decide to taper off it to see if you feel better off of it, then please do so very slowly. I wish I knew more to help you out.

I stopped it cold turkey, tried to reintroduce it last Friday,  then it lit up my entire central nervous system like a shockwave. Started vomiting instantly. Now I couldn’t reintroduce it if I tried, but I’m in withdrawal and if feels very similar to benzo withdrawal. Tachycardia, insomnia, no appetite, inner tremors, myclonic jerks when I try & go to sleep, anxiety, just to name the a few of what’s happening to me. My mind is clear and normal, but my body is being hijacked. I can’t relax or function. It’s ruined my life again.

I stopped it cold turkey, tried to reintroduce it last Friday,  then it lit up my entire central nervous system like a shockwave. Started vomiting instantly. Now I couldn’t reintroduce it if I tried, but I’m in withdrawal and if feels very similar to benzo withdrawal. Tachycardia, insomnia, no appetite, inner tremors, myclonic jerks when I try & go to sleep, anxiety, just to name the a few of what’s happening to me. My mind is clear and normal, but my body is being hijacked. I can’t relax or function. It’s ruined my life again.

Oh Laelani, I am so sorry you are going through that. It sounds to me like the progesterone definitely did this, like kindling your central nervous system, and only time will help this effect wear off. At least I think so. I don't know of any pill to take away the effect of what these pills have done to us. I hope that your symptoms calm down soon- that is awful.

This may not be the right place for me to post, as my situation seems somewhat different from the most recent posts I have read on here.  I am a 75 year old who, until my Valium horror story began 27 months ago when I took my last 5 mg pill, was very healthy, swam every day through all seasons, had a lively social life, and could do everything on a daily basis that needed to be done, and happily so!  I have been having some great windows lately, with the odd wave crashing down periodically.  Lately, I have been having some GI issues, some abdominal bloating, and off and on nausea.  I had an abdominal and pelvic cat scan, and a CBC last week and all was normal.  However, one of my rotating OBGYN’s, who at first thought I had a bacterial infection in my abdomen and female parts, put me on an antibiotic which at first seemed to make me feel better.  Then my main OBGYN decided that I needed a pelvic sonogram which I had yesterday.  I had a call today from the OBGYN who said that the scan showed a thickening in the uterine wall, and I should come back in to the office on July 5th, and she will decide as to whether I need a biopsy.  Has anyone else had the same diagnosis and, if so, what was the outcome?

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Healing thoughts for all!

Gardenguru

GG, I don’t have any experience with that but I hope others might chime in here, if they know anything or anyone who does.

Oh Laelani, I am so sorry you are going through that. It sounds to me like the progesterone definitely did this, like kindling your central nervous system, and only time will help this effect wear off. At least I think so. I don't know of any pill to take away the effect of what these pills have done to us. I hope that your symptoms calm down soon- that is awful.

I’m not doing well. I’ve been taking remeron to help with the withdrawal off of my hormone replacement cold turkey. I’d like to go back on hrt to stabilize. Do you think this is possible now? Or is progesterone just like a benzo in that there will be a tolerance built up and I’ll have to find the right dose of it to stabilize without going into withdrawal again? Does anyone know?

I am sorry I do not know the answer but wanted you to know I am thinking of you. Hopefully someone can share their knowledge. Take care.

Gosh, ladies. This is terrifying to read.

I am almost 49 and in perimenopause. I don't know how far into the process I am in, but I know it's been at least two years. My irregular periods have me going into acute withdraws every single month. It is torture. I am almost 3.5 years off and I never thought I'd have to feel acute stuff again.

My question is....once this is over and I am in menopause, will I be feeling better or worse? It literally terrifies me all the time to think about. I would think it would be better because there are no dips and fluctuations and such. But then, in menopause, all the hormones are low.

And obviously, I can't take hormones. I know my mom went through peri for 10 whole years and had a horrific time. She passed away from cancer during my acute and so I can't even ask her. I'm hoping that is not me because I can't keep doing this. I don't know why my hormones cause me to feel acute all over again but it is unbearable.

Anything hopeful or encouraging for me???

Warrior24, I was just reading over your signature and am sorry for all they you have gone through and are continuing to deal with- you are indeed warrior! I am also so sorry about your mother's passing.

I went through menopause while coming off 8 drugs and I was in pure hell, too. My hotflashes alone could start fires and they were all the time- they would strike suddenly and take forever to die down, and then the cycle would start again. I am now about 5 years into this menopause and almost 5 years off Benzo (my last psych med) and I am not tortured anymore by fluctuating hormones or periods or any of that stuff. I feel better because of menopause. I think menopause will be welcome relief for you, but that is just my opinion. My only problem post-menopause is dryness but I have started using a product called Revaree (totally natural) to help with that. I hear about so many woman struggling with periods, hormone fluctuations, and how it exacerbates acute-like symptoms every month and that does sound like a hell like no other... menopause should bring welcome relief...but getting through 'peri' to 'meno' is a tough road! Hang on!

Warrior24, I was just reading over your signature and am sorry for all they you have gone through and are continuing to deal with- you are indeed warrior! I am also so sorry about your mother's passing.

I went through menopause while coming off 8 drugs and I was in pure hell, too. My hotflashes alone could start fires and they were all the time- they would strike suddenly and take forever to die down, and then the cycle would start again. I am now about 5 years into this menopause and almost 5 years off Benzo (my last psych med) and I am not tortured anymore by fluctuating hormones or periods or any of that stuff. I feel better because of menopause. I think menopause will be welcome relief for you, but that is just my opinion. My only problem post-menopause is dryness but I have started using a product called Revaree (totally natural) to help with that. I hear about so many woman struggling with periods, hormone fluctuations, and how it exacerbates acute-like symptoms every month and that does sound like a hell like no other... menopause should bring welcome relief...but getting through 'peri' to 'meno' is a tough road! Hang on!

Thank you, Tater.

I am finding it hard to find anyone who gets this as bad as me. I hear about how it exacerbates symptoms of course and how it makes people feel horrible but I literally go through acute symptoms every month and when I get my periods every three weeks now, there is no stability.

• 1 month later...

journey, I was just thinking about you and the hrt. Are you still planning to get off progesterone?

I know you said you have liquid capsules. I was wondering if you could empty the capsule into another liquid like olive oil (for example - 10ml olive oil with one capsule) then taper it slowly using a liquid syringe) similar to liquid benzo tapering but with oil (since progesterone is usually in oil). Just a thought. I hope you are doing well.

Yes, I am, once I get off the valium.

Thank you for the olive oil and capsules idea. If I could do it that way it would be good,

I wouldn't know how to get all of the white fluid out of the capsules, I opened one, that is how I know it is filled with white fluid. I'd have to get all of the fluid out of the capsule.

Also, I am not sure how I would dissolve the outer "case" for want of a better word.

I dissolved my valium pill in milk, but I am not sure how that outer "case" would dissolve. It would be nice to think it would dissolve in olive oil, that would make life easier, I am not sure if it would though.

Thank you for thinking about me, it is lovely to know someone is thinking of me.

:smitten:

I am on liquid filled capsules though, so I don't know, right now, how I am going to do it, as NHS England do not prescribe the cream, which is not licensed here in the UK.

Something crossed my mind late last night about using olive oil to increase the volume of fluid in the utrogestan caps.

Olive oil would increase the bioavailability of the utrogestan, in the same way food does, but I don't know by how much.

I would need to dissolve the fluid in the capsules using something that is not food, or something  that will not increase the bioavailability.

Hi all

I made a diazepam cut last Monday 1st August and I was doing great till Tuesday 9th August. It was a very small cut from 16mg to 15.75mg.

All my usual withdrawal symptoms have come rushing back in - no appetite, loss of sleep, no concentration, cant stop talking about myself, feelings of wanting to give up and not wanting to go outside. I cannot believe it as thought I was just doing a really small cut.

I also changed a progesterone patch.

Can you please advise?

a) how long is it normally till you feel a cut?

b) how do you talk yourself down from this high point of anxiety and doom?

Sorry and thank you MP

edit - date change

Hi all

I made a diazepam cut last Monday 8th August and I was doing great till Tuesday 9th August. It was a very small cut from 16mg to 15.75mg.

All my usual withdrawal symptoms have come rushing back in - no appetite, loss of sleep, no concentration, cant stop talking about myself, feelings of wanting to give up and not wanting to go outside. I cannot believe it as thought I was just doing a really small cut.

Can you please advise?

Sorry and thank you MP

Not to invalidate your suffering, it seems a short time for the diazepam cut to kick in.

I would be looking at the progesterone.

It can, apparently, be upto 3 weeks before a diazepam cut is felt.

Sorry to ask another question, what changes did you make to your progesterone, progesterone acts on GABAA also.

Can you look at natural non GABA sleep aids, check with your doctor if unsure.

I usually feel the cut in week 2

I just meant I had gone from the oestrogen patch to the oestrogen and progesterone patch. I think the hrt is making my taper much harder.

I was offered melatonin 2 mg before but it did not work

Are you having any horrible reduction withdrawal symptoms?

Hi all

I made a diazepam cut last Monday 8th August and I was doing great till Tuesday 9th August. It was a very small cut from 16mg to 15.75mg.

Can you please advise?

Sorry and thank you MP

Not to invalidate your suffering, it seems a short time for the diazepam cut to kick in.

I would be looking at the progesterone.

It can, apparently, be upto 3 weeks before a diazepam cut is felt.

Sorry to ask another question, what changes did you make to your progesterone, progesterone acts on GABAA also.

Can you look at natural non GABA sleep aids, check with your doctor if unsure.

Hi Miss Piggy

I am not having bad symptoms, I just did a cut recently.

I will taper the progesterone capsule after the valium, and I look forward to being free from the need of a pharmacy.

That is good news. I am struggling. How big a cut did you do?

Hi Miss Piggy

I will taper the progesterone capsule after the valium, and I look forward to being free from the need of a pharmacy.

Hi Miss Piggy

I did a 1mg cut this time.

I'm quartering pills-it's a bit awkward.

I take 6.5mg twice a day, I will update my signature line.

Thank you. I dont understand why it is so difficult for me here. Are you cutting and holding at 1mg? For how long? Have you no symptoms?

Are you taking supplements as well?

Hi Miss Piggy

Thank you. I dont understand why it is so difficult for me here. Are you cutting and holding at 1mg? For how long? Have you no symptoms?

Are you taking supplements as well?

Hi Miss Piggy

I am taking supplements, I am trying to get a regime right.

I cut and hold.

I can't tell if I have symptoms as I take progesterone and my own body makes progesterone erratically.

Are you eating foods that inhibit or induce the CYP liver enzymes that metabolise valium?

Are you taking any GABA agonists?

Are you smoking?

I am not accusing, I am just trying to find out what is wrong.