direct taper a good idea/if so, what scale should I buy

[du...]

All,

I have tapered from Ativan 0.5 mg down to 0.19(divided into 3 doses) but hit a wall of symptoms. I have been using the water taper but I am wondering if my dosing of this suspension is accurate and maybe I should try a different method. I have not tried direct taper with a good scale.

Will this make my dosing more precise or should I try something else? I have been holding at a slightly higher dosage past several days.

Scale suggestions?

thanks

Before we consider switching to another method, can you tell us a little about the method you're currently using, maybe we can see a reason for your increased symptoms.  Can you tell us what percentage you're reducing, and how long do you hold between reductions?

Have been doing water taper. Dissolve 0.5 mg tab in a few ml of vodka then once suspended add water up to 300 ml. Shake vigorously then remove 1 ml per day and divide remainder into three containers to use throughout the day.

Made in to day 186 then a few stressful things happened in my life and symptoms came rushing back. I have held for a week then spoke to my psychiatrist who never wanted me to taper. He said go back to your regular dosage and know you will need to be on this for the rest of your life.

I have now taken a quarter tab bid for past 3 days. That is 0.125 mg per dose so I have reinstated but not at top dose.

I feel terrible physically and am bummed my 6 month taper is all for nothing. This has been a rough ride and I do not think I have strength to carry on. I see no way out and cant imagine a good outcome.

dude 66,

I want to encourage you.  Everything you said is normal and you are doing an excellent taper.

Many people forget that half of the withdrawal issues are due to anxiety.  During a taper, we get anxious and worried about if we are doing it right and also, the withdrawal of the drug creates anxiety.  So the moment you get "life issues or stress from life", things can spiral and you feel real sick.  IT WILL PASS.  There are so many success stories of getting sick during a taper and then waiting does fix it. 

In my taper, I got so sick I had to hold of 8 weeks and also take Buspar to stop the extra anxiety.  The anxiety causes my chest muscles to be tight all the time which then led the scary chest pains.  Look, I am all healed now, you can do this.

Also know, you are doing the right thing.  Since you were on day 186 out of 300, that was a little over half way.  So, taking 1/4 tablet twice a day is a good idea.  HOLD AT THIS LEVEL.  Once you are stable, you can go back to you excellent water taper. 

For now know this, if you hold at 1/4 tablet twice a day, you will, in time, get stable enough to continue.  It might take 2 to 8 weeks.  You might need to use Buspar like I did (PS - I got off the Buspar with no issues and continued my taper).

Use this hold time to learn non-benzo ways to address your anxiety.  You need these tools during your taper and once your reach zero benzos.  If you do not find ways to address your anxiety, then your doctor is right, you will need the drug for life but that is a terrible idea because you will need to increase the amount of benzo to get the same effects.  LEARN natural methods of anxiety control.  Research on the internet.

What are your symptoms?

Bob

Thank you for your response. I am at an all time low right now and appreciate the help.

Main symptoms are anxiety and insomnia. I have been considering adding Buspar or another med but was trying to get buy without more meds as the Ativan sure did a number on me. I have too much time on my hands and spend much of it on the internet.

I have young kids and a supportive wife and I refuse to let this poison get the better of me. Main issue is psychiatrist just says 'take the med and go up on dose if you need to'. I know this med has made me worse and not better but if that is what I must do then so be it.

I want to give it another chance while I am somewhat tapered. I can stay on .125 bid for a while and maybe I will stabilize. Then maybe try taper again from there.

How long did you stay on Buspar and are you benzo free?

Your doctor and mine both failed us.

My doctor also said, I could take it the rest of my life with no issue and I am taking a small dose (0.5mg Klonopin).

She was so wrong.

After 13 years with her doing this, I think she learned that benzos are a problem.  When I started to have troubles and wanted to taper, she mysteriously dropped me as a patient, claiming to take a job at a hospital.

To answer your question, when I was at my worse during the taper, I held for 2 weeks.  When that didn't help, I started Buspar.  After 6 weeks on Buspar and still holding my benzo dose, I felt like my symptoms were better.  Remember, they will not go away until you are benzo free for a couple of years.  The key is, to taper slow enough so the symptoms are tolerable.

When it was time for me to continue my taper, I stopped the Buspar with ZERO problems.

Note, if your main problem is sleep, I recommend you take half your dose at bed and the rest during the night when you wake up and want to sleep more.  I found, if I could get a good night of sleep, I was willing to put up with any daytime anxiety issues (during the day, I would avoid stress and do anxiety relax tools).

Bob

I always start and keep people on the water taper you are doing as long as possible before messing with scales.

Please don't think that using a scale would have prevented your withdrawal symptoms.  You are in withdrawal because the taper was too fast or the weekly reductions caught up with you and hit you all at once or your life stress has recently jumped up and put you over the edge.

That said, when you feel the symptoms are tolerable and you want to continue your taper, I can help you with either one, I just think the water method is better overall (for simple and it gives you a choice to slowly sip the water throughout the night which is a good psychological move).

Bob,

I am grateful to you for your help.

My stressors are big as I was unable to continue at my previous job. Now I make way less money and it has us strained.

I must get healthy so I can help raise these kids and pay some bills.

I have buspar on the way and doc says will take 2 wks to work.

Do you think I should switch over to Valium or K?

I'm so grateful you're getting the support you need, Bob is very calm and reassuring but if I may answer your last question, I feel it would be a good idea to stay on the Ativan because even though you've encountered some resistance in your taper, it doesn't appear that interdose withdrawal is one of your issues.  Crossing to another benzo is not easy, each benzo comes with it's own set of challenges and crossing over will add time to your taper.  So, unless you're dealing with severe interdose, I'd recommend sticking with the Ativan. 

I AGREE WITH PAMSTER.

I have seen terrible troubles with switching benzos.

It is like the person was having trouble with Ativan but when they try to switch, they still have Ativan withdrawal but also issues with the new benzos.

I have read many posts and 9 times out of 10, trying to switch benzos in the middle of a taper creates more harm than good.

You need to give yourself credit.  You made it all they way to 50% reduction.  You can do it again. Just get stable, learn non-benzo ways to calm your anxiety, then then do the other 50%.

Be patient.  Hold until the symptoms are tolerable enough to continue.  It will happen for you.  Read all the success stories - you are not alone - others have done it - so can you.