Tapering From Diazepam

[Mr...]

Dear BenzoBuddies,

I recently joined this group and I almost immediately understood why I am having the withdrawals that I face. You can read my full story here (http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=272512.0). I am reaching out to you, in desperation, to try and wean me off Valium. I am currently on Valium 2.5mg (have tried alternate day doses which, I never knew could cause the kindling phenomenon, which I suffered so badly). My tablets come in the form of 5mg. So I cut them into half to 2.5mg. I was wondering if I should get a weighing scale and how to do reconstitute my tablets with that (crushing it into powder?). I wish to share a detailed account of what happened to me, in the form of a drug journal, for everyone to see and use, but I don't know how to attach it here. I surely know it will benefit everyone. Though I know our experiences may differ, but certainly it can be similar. Please help.

MrMeaner

Dear BenzoBuddies,

I recently joined this group and I almost immediately understood why I am having the withdrawals that I face. You can read my full story here (http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=272512.0). I am reaching out to you, in desperation, to try and wean me off Valium. I am currently on Valium 2.5mg (have tried alternate day doses which, I never knew could cause the kindling phenomenon, which I suffered so badly). My tablets come in the form of 5mg. So I cut them into half to 2.5mg. I was wondering if I should get a weighing scale and how to do reconstitute my tablets with that (crushing it into powder?). I wish to share a detailed account of what happened to me, in the form of a drug journal, for everyone to see and use, but I don't know how to attach it here. I surely know it will benefit everyone. Though I know our experiences may differ, but certainly it can be similar. Please help.

MrMeaner

Hi MrMeaner

Can you get 2mg valium tabs where you live?

You can buy a jeweller scale quite cheaply and I can certainly provide a link to the one I use if you would like. In my own personal opinion, I couldn’t imagine a tapering process without it, unless of course I was doing a liquid taper.

Hi, I was on a quarter of a 10mg tablet (2.5) for some time before deciding to go down to an eighth (1.25)in February. I’ve been on that dose since, until a week ago. I decided to use an eighth of a 5 mg tablet (0.6)which equates to a 50% cut. Fairly high I know but I tolerated the last 50% really well. I’m not suggesting you make the same cuts as I have but you could try quartering your pills to make the next cut, maybe alternate between 2.5 and 1.25 to see how you tolerate it ? Best of luck :)

Dear everyone (Jack b quick, Winters Sun, Pamster)

Thank you so much for your insightful feedback. All these suggestions are so meaningful. At the very least, I have a clear direction on how to taper my dose. I will try and source 2mg tablets when I meet my doc soon, hope they are available in that form here. I guess taking quarter cuts are the best for now. I am currently on 1.875mg for 5 days and I do feel it has stabilized a little bit. I am thinking of getting a jeweler's scale, but if I can rough it through 1.25mg in the next few weeks, I will opt not too (unless the last part of completely weaning off Valium becomes horrible, I might resort to liquid doses). Once again, my infinite thanks guys.

MM

Dear everyone (Jack b quick, Winters Sun, Pamster)

Thank you so much for your insightful feedback. All these suggestions are so meaningful. At the very least, I have a clear direction on how to taper my dose. I will try and source 2mg tablets when I meet my doc soon, hope they are available in that form here. I guess taking quarter cuts are the best for now. I am currently on 1.875mg for 5 days and I do feel it has stabilized a little bit. I am thinking of getting a jeweler's scale, but if I can rough it through 1.25mg in the next few weeks, I will opt not too (unless the last part of completely weaning off Valium becomes horrible, I might resort to liquid doses). Once again, my infinite thanks guys.

MM

You’re very welcome.

Hopefully you can get those 2mg tabs  :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I was not reading these posts correctly but it seemed like most of you were tapering at a faster pace than 10% every 2 weeks. I am currently at 7mg per night and calculated my taper schedule using the protocol of 10% every 2 weeks. I found this very depressing as it looks like I wont be off this stuff (at best) for a at least a year and a half!

Do you all suggest a larger cut in the beginning? I read others doing 1 mg every 2 weeks or 1 month instead of the 10%...

Thanks!

Maybe I was not reading these posts correctly but it seemed like most of you were tapering at a faster pace than 10% every 2 weeks. I am currently at 7mg per night and calculated my taper schedule using the protocol of 10% every 2 weeks. I found this very depressing as it looks like I wont be off this stuff (at best) for a at least a year and a half!

Do you all suggest a larger cut in the beginning? I read others doing 1 mg every 2 weeks or 1 month instead of the 10%...

Thanks!

Hi Courage18

If you have been having difficulty tapering at 10% every 2 weeks, then making larger reductions is not the answer for you. I made 1mg reductions in the beginning and it was absolutely horrific. I would suggest you forget about the timeline and focus solely on remaining as functional as possible throughout your taper, as the fast taper alternative is not an attractive experience, believe me.