Looking for help to start a liquid taper off .5mg Klonopin! :)

[Pa...]

Hi all,

I joined this group one year ago when I stopped .5mg-.75mg Klonopin too abruptly and went crazy-bad, untenable-bad with withdrawal symptoms.  I have been fairly stable at .5mg of Klonopin per day (.25 in am and .25 in pm).  I can feel withdrawal symptoms start if I am a few hours late however (inter-dose withdrawal?).

I am ready to start a liquid titration taper.  I am fairly sure it will be a long and slow one.  I need help and direction.  Terrified!

I've searched for the past hour but I'm not finding directions yet. 

Thank you all so much!

Are you planning to ask your doctor for a prescription to take to a compounding pharmacy or will you be making your own liquid using your tablets?  Are your tablets .50 mgs and did you know they come in .125 mgs as well?  Just in case you'd like to go with dry cutting for now.

Hi Pamster,

I was planning on making my own liquid.  I think.  Just at the very start of this process but want to get started ASAP.  My tablets right now are 1mg and I've been cutting them clumsily into quarters.  I am very open to asking the doctor for .50 and/or .125mg. 

I guess I need to do more research about dry cutting. 

I also need to get clear about the titration schedule I want to use.  I'm still unclear - it seems some people cut and hold and some people reduce by a very small amount each day?  I want to take as long as needed to get off the last .5mg per day. 

I know I may kindle due to the cold turkey episode one year ago and reinstating.

I feel a bit overwhelmed. 

Thank you so much for your reply and any suggestions.

I want to thank you for answering my post.  Also for your support last year.

:)

You're welcome Pantana, I'm glad to see you've recovered enough to be able to face a taper.

Dry cutting is the easiest way to taper so we encourage members to stick with that for as long as they can.  When they get to the lower doses it can be a bit more challenging to make accurate reductions so some will switch to titration which includes both dry and liquid, here are some Titration FAQ's.

I don't have taper experience so I'll typically ask someone else to step in but I'm sensing you're not quite sure which method to use yet.  Have you watched any video's about the various methods to see might be a good fit for you?

Thank you Pamster,

I'm going to watch videos pronto!  I'm also going to get in touch with my doctor about .5 and .125mg's getting prescribed.

I'd love to get in touch with someone about a dry taper schedule as I'm sure my doctor will prescribe these lower dosages.

If you have any recommendations of who on the forum I might reach out to, that would be great.

Many, many thanks!

Talking about it here is fine Pantana, but we should probably wait until you find out which size pills your doctor will prescribe. 

As for a taper schedule, you'll find we're big proponents of tapering according to your symptoms, so having an actual schedule isn't necessary.  Yes, its a good idea to have a general plan in mind for instance, what taper rate you'd like to try, we recommend between 5-10% but this is only a guide.  What is very helpful is keeping a record of your doses and symptoms, along with their severity.  You can use this data to inform your next reduction.  It can also help you spot trends that not only involve your taper rate and times but possible stress interactions you can associate with symptom severity.  This also helps inform your supplement, medication or food interactions so it would be good to get in this habit before you even start your taper.