Diaz taper advice please

[On...]

Hello.  I am tapering diazepam/valium by dissolvong some of it in milk, then reducing by a ml amount each day using a syringe.  I have seen many posts saying not to reduce by more than 5% to 10% per 14 days, so to remain as functional as possible so that I can continue to work I aim for 5% at the 14 day point.

My question is this:  when I reach the 14 day/5% point, do I then hold for a while?  I'm probably over thinking it, but if 14 days should roughly equal 5%, then when I go beyond that point how does the body know that I have started a new 14 day/5% plan, wouldn't it just think I'm now at 15 days and a bit more %? 

I feel like I should maybe have a rest at the 14 day mark instead of pushing through, but seeing the dosage other people are on and how they are coping despite how they feel makes me think I'm being a bit of a baby.

I'm beginning to really feel the reductions now, and got grumpy and impatient with my boss this morning which isn't good, and very unlike me.

Over the last 18 months I have tapered off 3.75mg of zopiclone by dry cutting, then worked on reducing 6mg diazepam by cutting the pills until I got to 1.5mg.  Now I am at 0.5mg dry in the morning, 0.5mg dry evening, and 0.05mg in milk at bedtime.  A total of 1.05mg.  I was on Zopiclone for 20 years (been off a year now), and have been on Diazepam for 10 years.

I hope this makes sense and you can offer some wisdom.  Thank you very much.

I've just realised that I asked about holding back in September and had a lovely answer then.  So apologies for repeating the question - honestly, I don't know where my brain has gone!

Onnit, yes, you may be over thinking your taper, but we all did  :D. So here's my advice . . . based on what I did. When I was at a dose comparable to yours, I reduced by 1 ml of my 100:1 (.01 mgs) mixture daily. I didn't take any rests. Things turned out pretty well. Now, if you are feeling okay, why would you stop to rest? Your bod knows zilch abut 5% or 14 days. It only knows when it feels okay or when it feels  bad. If it were me, I'd keep on doing what you're doing. Of course, if you start to feel funky, then I'd take a break and hold at that dose for awhile.

I hope this makes sense -- it's early morning here.

Best,

Katz

Thank you for replying Katz, especially as it is so early with you.  I am feeling a little funky (love that description and will use it from now on, much more positive than 'I'm feeling like **** today') so will hold for a little while then continue on with the 1ml reductions.  Bless you for being there (wish I knew how to add a smiley face here)

Hang in there, Onnit. A little hold never hurt anyone.  ;)  Re-start when you feel less funky. And remember -- we generally do not feel great on our tapers . . . functional is the goal. I felt headachey, dizzy, nauseous and malaisey on my taper at high doses, but at the lower doses, not so much. I was able to carry on with my work and my life.

Hoping you feel better,

:smitten:

Katz