Compounding Pharmacy Liquid Klonopin

[Qu...]

Called the local compounding pharmacists to see if any local docs were ordering scripts that suggested people were doing slow tapers. Anyways, a couple of the pharms said they had been filling scripts for liquid klonopin.

Is liquid klonopin a thing people have familiarity with?

thanks!

quiet

Called the local compounding pharmacists to see if any local docs were ordering scripts that suggested people were doing slow tapers. Anyways, a couple of the pharms said they had been filling scripts for liquid klonopin.

Is liquid klonopin a thing people have familiarity with?

thanks!

quiet

Rx liquid K is available in many European countries, but not in the US.  IIRC, its also available in Canada.

I am doing k with.milk. is it ok to make 5 doses and put in fridge or should i make the doses daily. Will.it lose its effectiveness. Is it soluble in.milk. I wish i could get liquid k.

I am doing k with.milk. is it ok to make 5 doses and put in fridge or should i make the doses daily. Will.it lose its effectiveness. Is it soluble in.milk. I wish i could get liquid k.

You can make as many day's doses as the milk will stay fresh.  Yes, its soluble in milk (and other fatty emulsions)  There will be no loss of potency of efficacy.

And making multi-day doses and just taking the appropriate dose each day is much less labor intensive than making a new dose each day, and throwing part of away.

Thanks builder. I been.getting confused. I was so afraid i was taking ineffective  doses. This is scary. Ugh. I know liquid k would be better but im in the U.S.. I also cant use vodka im a rec alcoholic.  I was worrief about solubility. Im sure its fine. Thank you so much.

Thanks builder. I been.getting confused. I was so afraid i was taking ineffective  doses. This is scary. Ugh. I know liquid k would be better but im in the U.S.. I also cant use vodka im a rec alcoholic. I was worrief about solubility. Im sure its fine. Thank you so much.

PG works just as well.

Sorry to be ignorant, but what’s PG?

Thank you.

Propylene Glycol.

Probably the most commonly used pharma solvent in the world.

Hi Builder,

So I just got off the phone with Roxanne West war, the distributor of the Valium solution. They said they cannot confirm if the solution mixes evenly in water or not (which kind of freaks me out when with liquid titration) Do you think it’s safer to use the pills for liquid titration?

Thanks!

mdv

Hi Builder,

So I just got off the phone with Roxanne West war, the distributor of the Valium solution. They said they cannot confirm if the solution mixes evenly in water or not (which kind of freaks me out when with liquid titration) Do you think it’s safer to use the pills for liquid titration?

Thanks!

mdv

It does.  The label will even say "Dilute before using..."

Using pills to make your own solution is a fully satisfactory option, but if you have access to Rx liquid, that would always be my choice (and was in fact what I used for my taper).

Hi Builder,

Thanks!

mdv

Using pills to make your own solution is a fully satisfactory option, but if you have access to Rx liquid, that would always be my choice (and was in fact what I used for my taper).

mdv ... I see you’ve posted the same question on another thread ... am I correct that the prescription oral solution you are using is 5mg/5mL?  If so, the label does not say dilute before using. I just don’t want you to get confused!

Hi Builder,

Thanks!

mdv

mdv ... I see you’ve posted the same question on another thread ... am I correct that the prescription oral solution you are using is 5mg/5mL? If so, the label does not say dilute before using. I just don’t want you to get confused!

Yes, the mfgr's label does.  Specifically it says "Dilute before using to enhance palatability"

This is a dilutable solution using propylene glycol as a solvent, and can be extensively diluted to water, with no change to the active ingredient, other than changing the concentration ratio.

If you open this link, you will see pics of both the West and Roxane labels with those exact words.

https://www.google.com/search?q=diazepam+oral+solution+5mg/5ml&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=ACYBGNT9KdBg8NujuZN0dgbPNfZbX2WUjQ:1570223773408&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=PLhqGlu4n-WT_M%253A%252Cdv_1L11fcsutRM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRm9kFDKEecgyv-GkqwZ6hVsWPP2w&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjL_-yxw4PlAhXDc98KHTZqAZkQ9QEwAHoECAUQAw&biw=1366&bih=654#imgrc=1i6cROSdGnq1jM:&vet=1

Hi Builder,

Thanks!

mdv

mdv ... I see you’ve posted the same question on another thread ... am I correct that the prescription oral solution you are using is 5mg/5mL? If so, the label does not say dilute before using. I just don’t want you to get confused!

Yes, the mfgr's label does.  Specifically it says "Dilute before using to enhance palatability"

This is a dilutable solution using propylene glycol as a solvent, and can be extensively diluted to water, with no change to the active ingredient, other than changing the concentration ratio.

If you open this link, you will see pics of both the West and Roxane labels with those exact words.

https://www.google.com/search?q=diazepam+oral+solution+5mg/5ml&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=ACYBGNT9KdBg8NujuZN0dgbPNfZbX2WUjQ:1570223773408&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=PLhqGlu4n-WT_M%253A%252Cdv_1L11fcsutRM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRm9kFDKEecgyv-GkqwZ6hVsWPP2w&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjL_-yxw4PlAhXDc98KHTZqAZkQ9QEwAHoECAUQAw&biw=1366&bih=654#imgrc=1i6cROSdGnq1jM:&vet=1

“Dilute before using to enhance palatability” is not the same as what you routinely recommend.  If you read the administration info in the drug pamphlets, it means “Put your entire dose in water or another liquid (or sometimes the pamphlet will suggest a soft food like applesauce) before you take it. Ingest the results immediately. Do not store.”

Libertas, why do you insist in creating anxiety and uncertainty in such a simple concept. 

Solution is dilutable.  The label says so.  It does not offer any limits on the dilution ratio.  In fact, it doesn't even specify that is has to be dilutable with water.

Didn't you post somewhere you were a chemist.  This is junior high chemistry.

“Dilute before using to enhance palatability” is not the same as what you routinely recommend.  If you read the administration info in the drug pamphlets, it means “Put your entire dose in water or another liquid (or sometimes the pamphlet will suggest a soft food like applesauce) before you take it. Ingest the results immediately. Do not store.”

I have read and researched many pages of info re: Roxane/West Labs Diazepam Oral Solution, 5ml=5mg.  (I took it for 2 years, and I never take any med without careful research)

I have never found those instructions , or any similar instruction.  In fact, other then the above referenced label instruction ("Dilute before using to enhance palatability"), I have never found any instructions for diluting this product.

The Diazepam Intensol 5mg=1ml, and the 5ml Dose Cups (labeled "For Institutional Use Only") instructions/PDLs do include some language similar to what you have paraphrased

Libertas,  I appreciate your efforts as a document editor.  But in one of your old posts you yourself talk about making a solution to to taper: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=217631.msg2796209#msg2796209  Edited to add: So I would guess you understand the purpose of creating and diluting a solution for tapering.

People dilute liquid Valium with water for several reasons.

1. Undiluted the liquid valium is very harsh tasting.  Once diluted to a 9 to one ratio of water to liquid Valium it tastes like mild cough syrup.

2. The liquid valium is quite sticky and if you take it directly a small amount might stick in the syringe.

3. Most importantly, diluting the liquid valium gives you a solution with a lower concentration of valium, which allows you taper daily by a smaller amount.

I use a 10 ML syringe that has markings down to .2ml and a 1 ML syringe that allows me to easily make cuts of .1ml.  .1 ML of the solution is

equivalent to .01 mg of valium, that is 1/100 of a milligram.  If the liquid valium was undiluted I could only make cuts by .2 mg.  But diluted I can

easily make cuts  .01 mg.  This works better for a daily liquid micro taper.

Libertas,  I appreciate your efforts as a document editor.  But in one of your old posts you yourself talk about making a solution to to taper: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=217631.msg2796209#msg2796209

1. Undiluted the liquid valium is very harsh tasting.  Once diluted to a 9 to one ratio of water to liquid Valium it tastes like mild cough syrup.

2. The liquid valium is quite sticky and if you take it directly a small amount might stick in the syringe.

3. Most importantly, diluting the liquid valium gives you a solution with a lower concentration of valium, which allows you taper daily by a smaller amount.

I use a 10 ML syringe that has markings down to .2ml and a 1 ML syringe that allows me to easily make cuts of .1ml.  .1 ML of the solution is

equivalent to .01 mg of valium, that is 1/100 of a milligram.  If the liquid valium was undiluted I could only make cuts by .2 mg.  But diluted I can

easily make cuts  .01 mg. This works better for a daily liquid micro taper.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :

easily make cuts  .01 mg.  This works better for a daily liquid micro taper.

and... while "precision" and "accuracy" really not terribly important, dilution does dramatically reduce the error factor.  With a .1mg = 1ml solution, a measurement error of .1ml is only .01 (one/one hundredth) of a milligram.

Espy, Libertas, builder, others!

I have some questions about the particulars for calling in an order for liquid K to a compounding pharmacy. I'm meeting with my pdoc for the first time next week and I don't know if she's done this before.

I am taking 3mgs K a day and want to reduce by 5% every two weeks (I guess? I don't know what's reasonable.).

1) Do I specify the ratio? Do I say I want to end up with 1mg/1ml of solution? Or does this work some other way where they make a more "potent" version and then I dilute it at home?

2) Do I say I want enough for 3mgs a day for each day of the month, ignoring my reduction, with the idea that it is better to have some left over than not enough? Or is there a better way to order this?

3) Do I need to specify what kind of solvent I want them to use, or will they have a "House" style?

4) Is it ok to switch over to all liquid at once, or is it better to gradually switch from pills to liquid? Obviously I'm already drinking water each time I take the pill already!

4) Are there questions should I go in and ask the pharmacy before I talk to my pdoc?

5) What haven't I thought of?

I'm really scared about making the switch from pills to liquid, and just beginning my second taper in general, so I'd really appreciate people's input.

Espy, Libertas, builder, others!

I have some questions about the particulars for calling in an order for liquid K to a compounding pharmacy. I'm meeting with my pdoc for the first time next week and I don't know if she's done this before.

I am taking 3mgs K a day and want to reduce by 5% every two weeks (I guess? I don't know what's reasonable.).

1) Do I specify the ratio? Do I say I want to end up with 1mg/1ml of solution? Or does this work some other way where they make a more "potent" version and then I dilute it at home?

IMO, you want a .1mg=1ml solution.  This is dilute enough to allow to make very small dose changes, and the .1mg=1ml ratio really eliminates any real math conversion.

2) Do I say I want enough for 3mgs a day for each day of the month, ignoring my reduction, with the idea that it is better to have some left over than not enough? Or is there a better way to order this?

I would ask for a 30 day supply (or whatever your normal refill cycle is), based on your CURRENT dose.

3) Do I need to specify what kind of solvent I want them to use, or will they have a "House" style?

You will almost certainly get a suspension, NOT a solution.  If you actually have a solvent option, choose propylene glycol.  But you will probably get a suspension, with either a vegetable oil or a pharma suspension agent, like OraPlus.

4) Is it ok to switch over to all liquid at once, or is it better to gradually switch from pills to liquid? Obviously I'm already drinking water each time I take the pill already!

There is no medical, pharmacological, physiological, etc reason that taking your dose in liquid form should have any effect.  Its the same med, and when you swallow a tablet, it becomes liquid within seconds any way.  But if it makes you feel less anxious, then a trial/transition won't do any harm

4) Are there questions should I go in and ask the pharmacy before I talk to my pdoc?

5) What haven't I thought of?

I'm really scared about making the switch from pills to liquid, and just beginning my second taper in general, so I'd really appreciate people's input.

I am sorry I didn’t see this earlier. We have such a flood of new members that I have been distracted. Your doctor should have the knowledge to figure a script for compounding, based on what you were prescribed and how much you intend to reduce over the 30 time period. I found that I did not want to commit to a schedule, so my doctor kept my script consistent over the course of the entire taper. Just instructed to “taper as comfortable”. The insurance never questioned anything. They know. My doctor knew. And they know we know. Espy