One_person's post 20 months from stopping benzo's

[on...]

Hey everyone, I'm putting up an update on how I'm doing thus far.

Emotionaly, I'm a lot more stable, I'm pretty happy now, and I do enjoy life a whole lot more than I did a yr ago, I take everything a lot less personal, and learned to just enjoy life, Its been a long road thus far, but I'm glad that I got to where I am now, but in no ways would I of been able to without the help of my fiance or the people here on benzo buddies. I feel much stronger. I still feel once in a while the brain fog, but its starting to lift more and more.

Physically, I sleep a whole lot better, I still go through nausea, but its very much managable, and very mild (I no longer gag)  I eat a lot better, I'm starting to like my sweets more.

I'm doing great!

Becky

• Like 1

Hi Becky,

Thanks for the update. It is great to hear that you are feeling so much better all round - it is important for those still recovering to hear that things really do improve. I hope that your remaining symptoms disappear soon.

Take care.

Becky  ;D

Thanks so much for posting your update here.  Hope you don't mind, but I am including a link to your earlier post from January so everyone has a better idea of what you were experiencing then vs now.  It is a very encouraging improvement for sure.  :thumbsup:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=6876.msg71749#msg71749

Thanks for providing that link Beeper, its hard to believe how much I do feel better than I did just a yr ago, the first yr is the hardest, when it comes to stopping benzo's, time will heal you, just gotta keep your head up, even when u want to put it down and just give up.

I remember when I was going through the worse of the withdrawal I was thinking that I'll never get better and this will be how I will feel for the rest of my life, but In time I did get better, withdrawal from benzo's and other psych. meds, is the hardest thing I have ever face, but in a way I am glad I experienced it, as now I know and understand what its like, to get off of this stuff and I made it.

Hi Becky,

Thanks for the update. It is great to hear that you are feeling so much better all round - it is important for those still recovering to hear that things really do improve. I hope that your remaining symptoms disappear soon.

Take care.

I think in time they will disappear, with the nausea, I've learned how to get control over it, so I only feel sick for like 15 min. max. I feel great! It just takes time to heal.

For everyone having feelings of despair and losing hope your update is a breath of fresh air.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know how you're doing.  :smitten:

For everyone having feelings of despair and losing hope your update is a breath of fresh air.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know how you're doing.  :smitten:

Thats very much true Tropicalsoul, I know and understand what a lot of people around here are going through as I went through a lot, that they are going through now, and even thoe, it may seem everlasting, but it's not, it just takes time and keeping your head up (expecly through the tough times) to make it. And I believe everyone here, who has just recently stopped or are tapering, can make it.

Thank you so much for your update! You must know how inspiring it is to hear how well your doing. Sometimes we feel we'll never start to feel better but people like you, who put the time and thought into posting a success story helps us all during our journey.

I hope the healing continues and your in my thoughts!

Amanda  :smitten:

Thanks for posting OP. your story will be a blessing and help to many.   :smitten:

Thank You Vicky, and I do really hope my success story really does help those, who are going through the rough patches of withdrawing off of these poisons. It is so very hard, to try to find the light at the end of the tunnel, it took me a little while to find it, but I am seeing it. Just gotta hold on, when things look rough.

Thank you so much for your update! You must know how inspiring it is to hear how well your doing. Sometimes we feel we'll never start to feel better but people like you, who put the time and thought into posting a success story helps us all during our journey.

I hope my story really does inspire those, to look forward and to know there is hope for recovery, as there really is, even thoe at a certain time, it may seem like it'll nvr get here, but it will.  I remember last yr, I had horrible brain fog, I was often suicidal for no reason, I had crying spells, but now I enjoy life, and look forward to waking up every morning to see a brand new day. I don't have brain fog as bad, I'm Happy!!! And I 100% believe everyone can make it, even thoe for some it maybe harder for some people to reach this point, I believe everyone will reach it.

Hi Becky,

I cannot thank you enough for posting your story.  I cold turkeyed more or less off ativan 1mg (been on it 8 months).  Just hit one year off and been thru a year from hell, but small imrpovements now.  Youve given me hope to keep going!  Bless you - wishing you continued imrpovement

Love and hugs

spring :smitten:

Hi Becky,

I cannot thank you enough for posting your story.  I cold turkeyed more or less off ativan 1mg (been on it 8 months).  Just hit one year off and been thru a year from hell, but small imrpovements now.  Youve given me hope to keep going!  Bless you - wishing you continued imrpovement

Love and hugs

Congrats on making it through the 1st yr!!! That is the hardest time in the withdrawal, as your body does go through a lot as its during that time. Keep your head up, Your going to make it!

Becky :smitten: 

I hope my story really does inspire those, to look forward and to know there is hope for recovery, as there really is, even thoe at a certain time, it may seem like it'll nvr get here, but it will.  I remember last yr, I had horrible brain fog, I was often suicidal for no reason, I had crying spells, but now I enjoy life, and look forward to waking up every morning to see a brand new day. I don't have brain fog as bad, I'm Happy!!! And I 100% believe everyone can make it, even thoe for some it maybe harder for some people to reach this point, I believe everyone will reach it.

You dont know how happy I am that you are feeling so well. And to hear the symptoms that you had just a year ago remind me so much of not only myself but mostly everyone here. And now we get to look forward to feeling like you do! That time will come, I'm always sure of it, but it's really nice to hear it from a success story!

Thank you again!

Amanda

Becky,

Just wanted to ask if after a year off, did you get  a little better every month or did you make jumps of improvement and certain times?  When were you more or less functioning normally again?  I still get 3-6 weeks of bad stuff where more or less on couch and dont go out much, but then had 5-6weeks ok recently where got out more and walked a bit.  Also had a 3 day window recently where felt pretty good really.

Thanks Becky,

Spring

You dont know how happy I am that you are feeling so well. And to hear the symptoms that you had just a year ago remind me so much of not only myself but mostly everyone here. And now we get to look forward to feeling like you do! That time will come, I'm always sure of it, but it's really nice to hear it from a success story!

Thank you again!

Amanda

Hey Amanda,

I believe everyone can start to feel like I do, in time, you and everyone will heal, its quite tough, but I think everyone can make it, even thoe some may fall back on the benzo, I don't want them to feel like a failer, as I believe they can make it too, some times are a better time or worse time to try to stop them. but overall I believe eventually everyone will make it to where I am.

Becky,

Just wanted to ask if after a year off, did you get  a little better every month or did you make jumps of improvement and certain times?  When were you more or less functioning normally again?  I still get 3-6 weeks of bad stuff where more or less on couch and dont go out much, but then had 5-6weeks ok recently where got out more and walked a bit.  Also had a 3 day window recently where felt pretty good really.

Thanks Becky,

Spring

Hi spring,

Around 14 months is when I started to get those open windows of feeling better, almost like my old self, and those windows came and went (feeling pretty down), but in time the open windows where I felt the best, they got longer and longer. Around 18 months is when I started to feel pretty normal, a decent amount of the time (less social anxiety, feeling better about myself, enjoying life)  From what you typed, I was pretty close to how you feel now, with those windows. I think in time you will get longer windows of feeling ok/good, You've made it past the hardest part and that is the 1st yr.

Take Care,

Becky

Thanks Becky,

Youve provided me with hope when the going is tough at present.  I cant than you enough.  When I feel like giving up (not all the time- seems to come in waves), Ill read this and struggle on.

Love and hugs,

Hey Amanda,

I believe everyone can start to feel like I do, in time, you and everyone will heal, its quite tough, but I think everyone can make it, even thoe some may fall back on the benzo, I don't want them to feel like a failer, as I believe they can make it too, some times are a better time or worse time to try to stop them. but overall I believe eventually everyone will make it to where I am.

Hi oneperson! Thanks for your reply. I too believe that everyone will heal, infact theres no proof that any of this is permenant.

It's wonderful to hear your success story!

And I think that for those that go back on benzo's after a wd so tough are those who go through a very very hard time. Like a death of someone close, a illness, or anxiety that they cant control. I think they are brave for deciding to do what they have to in order to feel better and know that one day they will have to go through this again. It must be a really hard decision to make.

Amanda

Thanks Becky,

Youve provided me with hope when the going is tough at present.  I cant than you enough.  When I feel like giving up (not all the time- seems to come in waves), Ill read this and struggle on.

Love and hugs,

I'm glad I provided you with hope when things get tough with withdrawal, I know and understand what you mean about wanting to give up, and how it seems to come in waves, as that did happen to me.

Becky :smitten:

Hey Amanda,

Hi oneperson! Thanks for your reply. I too believe that everyone will heal, infact theres no proof that any of this is permenant.

It's wonderful to hear your success story!

And I think that for those that go back on benzo's after a wd so tough are those who go through a very very hard time. Like a death of someone close, a illness, or anxiety that they cant control. I think they are brave for deciding to do what they have to in order to feel better and know that one day they will have to go through this again. It must be a really hard decision to make.

Amanda

With stopping benzo's, at first everything does seem like its permenant, but in time you will slowly get back to how you were before starting the benzo's and if for some reason, you have a bit of physical problems (slowed movements and all) physical therapy, will help get those connections back into place, so I don't think any thing is permanent, but wd is so very tough, there was plenty of times, I wish I could just give up, and just accept that I'll be on pills the rest of my life, but with the help of my fiance (helped a lot when I was going through mood swings, by listening to how I'm feeling and all) I was able to make it. It takes determination, and time to feel better.

Becky

Becky

• 2 weeks later...

Becky,

still getting crippling lows, mostly towards the of a 6-7 week bad patch.  Partly chemical and partly not being able to get out at all.  Did you suffer with this and did youfind anything that helped?Also, were your bad patches as long as mine.  I seem to get 6-7 weeks of crap before an ok/good period, which last time lasted 6 weeks.

Thanks,spring

Hi Spring,

Sorry for the delay, (I will be checking this more often, so I can help people like you more faster)

Yes, I did get crippling lows, I was very close to suicide quite a bit of times after stopping. Right now your going through a scary time, as when your going through withdrawal, your body got to where it depended on the meds, to function normal, now since you took out those chemicals (meds) its going a haywire, but in time everything will settle down. I know and understand what you are going through, I ct off of 4 meds, all at once, and I was a mess for a while. Time will heal. Just a few months ago, I started to think I might be becoming bipolar, as I did have high high's and low low's, it has since now, even out quite a bit. Keep your head up Spring, you'll get there, just need to try to ride out the storm (withdrawal)

Take Care,

Becky

Becky,

still getting crippling lows, mostly towards the of a 6-7 week bad patch.  Partly chemical and partly not being able to get out at all.  Did you suffer with this and did youfind anything that helped?Also, were your bad patches as long as mine.  I seem to get 6-7 weeks of crap before an ok/good period, which last time lasted 6 weeks.

Thanks,spring