Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

THANK YOU PAMSTER

For always looking out for us!

This is my 100th post, you have almost 43,000!

And most of those posts are you helping all of us out!

We are grateful!

Eileen

THANK YOU PAMSTER

For always looking out for us!

This is my 100th post, you have almost 43,000!

And most of those posts are you helping all of us out!

We are grateful!

Eileen

Thank you Eileen, but you got my attention talking about spring, those skunk babies sound adorable.  :smitten:  I agree though, when I was in bad shape being outside helped, or at least distracted me.

Thank you Tall Girl, I'm trying to get outside for a walk for half an hour every day. Although I am in Germany so not as beautiful as where you are right now. Soon I will be home in Vancouver, Canada in a spacious apartment with mountain views, which I am looking forward to and hope that being closer to nature will heal my brain.

Question for everyone: I am going to speak to my doctor about switching over to Valium. I'm currently at 0.8mg A and not stable so looking for some advice regarding the switch? Would it be advisable to slowly switch to perhaps 10mg? What have people's experiences been with switching over?

Thank you in advance!

I am wondering if maybe it might be helpful for you to decide on the next step, after you have stabilized for a little while. In my own personal experience transferring over to valium was extremely difficult. I didn't know what I was doing, and when I got onto Benzo Buddies, I was in crisis! You have already been advised by a doctor to come down too much and too fast. I'm very sorry that happened to you. But, now you are on this forum asking very sensible questions, and we will all be looking out for you. For me, valium was a detour that added an extra unnecessary year to my taper. My doctor didn't really seem to care, and was not helpful at all. So, here I am, back on lorazepam, tapering directly off of it this time. I'm down to .3mg. I have found that if your cuts are reasonable, and spaced out according to your own symptoms and tolerance, that tapering directly off of lorazepam is doable. For me valium was too unpredictable, and it stayed in my system for months! It stores itself in your fat, and releases itself at some of the most inconvenient times! This is just my experience. Whatever you decide to do, we will support you here. I hope you will give yourself a little time to "level out" before you proceed. I'm happy you are going outside and taking care of yourself, your brain will love you for it!

Eileen

Hi again TallGirl, and thank you again for your advice. I'm honestly at a loss, my symptoms are getting worse (toxic mornings, chemical anxiety, SI) and I'm realizing my scale is very inaccurate so I am wafting between 0.8 and 0.86 A every day and think this might be causing issues. Am I constantly kindling myself by these doses being so varied? I'm also scared that the pill isn't distributed equally. Not sure how to rectify that - that's why switching to Valium seemed like a better option because I would be more in control of my cuts. I just find it odd that I am getting worse and worse every day after the cut rather than stabilizing in some way although it's only been 10 days since my last cut.

I guess there really is not right answer. Is a titration possible for Ativan?

Thank you!!

Oh I should also add that two weeks ago, after roughly 10 days of use I cut out valerian tea and passionflower tea as I was unaware that those act on GABA receptors.

You're not kindling so don't worry about that. I hwve liquid rivotril but many people seem to have two scales to work with. There are many posts on this in the tapering section of the board.

Hi B1rdie,

Sometimes things get a little bit more intense before they get better. 10 days is really a short time considering all the changes your brain is going through. I'm glad that you got off of the valerian and passionflower! I think that this can only help your taper. I had a tough time with both of them. It's important to find a consistent way of measuring your doses accurately. I titrate lorazepam with plant milk in a liquid syringe. If you crush up 1 mg tablet and mix it with 10 ml of milk, then you can discard 2 ml, and you have exactly 8ml (.8mg.) to dose during the day. For me this is the simplest, most precise way to measure.

Spending time outside in fresh air is important to help you stay calm while you stabilize. I truly believe YOU WILL stabilize, B1rdie. Your brain is working hard to heal itself! Please try to remember to breathe deeply. Maybe spend some time in a place that is peaceful. A garden, or by some water, whatever soothes you. You WILL feel better, it just takes a bit of time. Sending peaceful thoughts,

Eileen

Hi Tall Girl,

I think I'm ever so slowly stabilizing, hopefully. I have moments of calm even with the intruding thoughts so that's hopeful in a way. I'll definitely give that titration method a try. I'm worried that the Ativan will all end of at the bottom of the cup - but I assume you're saying it does indeed dissolve equally in the milk? Also when you say you discard it, do you use it the next day or just throw it away? I'm currently getting 30mg/month so that should be fine either way. Thank you again!

I'm exercising a little bit everyday and am trying to reduce my screen time here because of the anxiety I feel while reading about the time it's going to take me to get better.So I will mostly checking in just for advice :)

Hi B1rdie,

Hope you are feeling better. This is day 4 of the cut for me, and I'm trembling and it feels like my thoughts are attacking me somewhat - making me insecure and unsettled.

We've had so much rain and snow here, I am longing for a sunny day. I appreciate what you said about limiting screen time, I have to force myself to get off!

If you mix the crushed up ativan thoroughly with the milk, maybe with the stem of a spoon, it stays evenly distributed. And yes, I throw the excess away, and start with a fresh batch the next day.

Hang in there b2rdie!

Eileen

Hi Eileen,

Hope your cut is going well. Just wanted to pop by and say thank you for the recommendation and I am now dosing three. Times a day with the milk titration method and it's going very well. I have no symptoms except for the looped thought that won't go away. I'm starting to think this might just be an underlying issue that came out through WD. I'm hopeful that with therapy I can overcome this, because while it is *just* one symptom, it's taken over my brain so I can't relax, ever. I just don't see it simply abating when I "recover". Here's to hoping 💖

I have that looping thing with songs sometimes. It's worse now. I ate an Impossible plant-based chicken patty, and I've been in hell for days. It's loaded with free-glutamate. I don't know how I could be so stupid! I'm super sensitive to EVERYTHING now. We can be going along doing so well, and then BAM! the smallest thing can trip is up. I am very happy to hear that you are doing better, b1rdie! You have brightened my otherwise miserable day. Wishing you well,

Eileen

Hi Lisaaa4,

I think you can stop. That's what I planned to do when I will be there. According to the Ashton manual 0,25mg of Lorazepam is equivalent to 1mg of diazepam and that's when she advice to jump.

How do you feel? How is your sleep? What method did you use to taper? I intend to switch from dry tapering to liquid and I have a 5ml syringe at home. I plan to switch when I will be at 0.5mg with 5 ml of milk to dose from there. I can't wait. With the longer days coming with the spring and summer I feel it will be more challenging to stay home than in winter. I have stopped working to taper without pressure but I do feel bored. I am scared with withdrawal symptoms to not be able to go to work, or to not be able to do my job properly.

[64...]

Hi Clinda! Thank you for the advice.

I feel pretty ok! I do have some withdrawal symptoms but it’s manageable. I sleep around 6-7 hours right now. On 0.3 my sleep was around 5 hours so it got a  better.

My pharmacist compounded the pills into capsules for me.

I am also not working right now. I think that it’s good that you made that decision. Give yourself some time to heal (if possible). You’re making a lot of progress!

Hi Lisaaa4,

You are very welcome.

I am glad you are feeling ok and sleep well. Sleep is the most important thing for me as I was started on benzo because of it, and insomnia is a huge part of withdrawal symptoms for some of us.

How many mg per capsules did they compounded the pills from?

Thank you for your encouragement. Indeed, when we have the possibility to taper without having to work it's better, we can take better care of ourselves and find the best way to taper.

Take care of yourself. Please come back and tell us how you are doing once you jump. I feel it will be allright for you. You didn't stay on it too lo'g and your taper went pretty fast without much withdrawal. Good luck Lisaaa4.

KIDNEY STONES

Has anyone passed one of these little babies? 🪨

I just did, and it's hard to describe just how painful it is! Could this be Benzo related?

Hello my fellow Ativan taperers!

I am going on a year of tapering from 3 mg daily to now 0.25 in the morning and 0.5 at night. Doc wants me to cut out the morning dose and taper down to 0.5 at night and then down to 0.25 and off. It has been such a roller coaster ride, strange physical symptoms, anxiety is worse, clenching jaw all the time, I am very irritable or angry. I have anger issues that I didn't deal with while on Ativan, because I would take an Ativan to quell my anger. Anyone else like this? But I don't know what I'm angry at?  :-\ I was super weepy for the first half of the taper, (half a year) and now it's just anger and irritable. I don't like it. Also really bad tinnitus.

Ativan 1 mg 3 x daily 38 years.

Started taper in April 2022

I am now at 3/4 of a milligram in a year

Start next dose down in 10 days (another 0.25)

Hi fellow Ativan warriors! Is there anyone who can tell me if 0.1 mg is a safe dose to jump off?

Congrats on your success of being BENZO FREE!

[64...]

Hi Lisaaa4,

You are very welcome.

I am glad you are feeling ok and sleep well. Sleep is the most important thing for me as I was started on benzo because of it, and insomnia is a huge part of withdrawal symptoms for some of us.

How many mg per capsules did they compounded the pills from?

Thank you for your encouragement. Indeed, when we have the possibility to taper without having to work it's better, we can take better care of ourselves and find the best way to taper.

Take care of yourself. Please come back and tell us how you are doing once you jump. I feel it will be allright for you. You didn't stay on it too lo'g and your taper went pretty fast without much withdrawal. Good luck Lisaaa4.

So the insomnia is real. Very choppy sleep but I get around 5 hours of sleep. Very bad head pressure and tinnitus. Really fatigued but I guess we’re all feeling that.

I started tapering from 1.0 mg and got capsules for every -0.1 mg.

I hope you’re doing well

[64...]

Hi fellow Ativan warriors! Is there anyone who can tell me if 0.1 mg is a safe dose to jump off?

Congrats on your success of being BENZO FREE!

Thank you!!! Congrats on your progress! You’re doing amazing

Hi Lisaaa4,

Yes, I am doing well. Thank you. Apart the fatigue kind of brain fog, I am doing ok.

Congratulations on being benzo free. You will get better as time goes on. Hang in there. Please come back to let us know how you are doing. Every person's journey while different can help or inspire others.

Spent last night reading through this thread ..... what an awesomely supportive kind Group. 

I am fairly new to BB and since I have started tapering off Ativan would love to join in.

I started a dry taper in Sept 2022 (hopefully my details are below) from 2mg/day.  I am now down to 1.18mg so far.  I switched to liquid Lorazepam April 1st and spent two weeks seeing how I would react with the switch.  All seems well!

I currently dose twice daily.  As I get lower what is your experience with switching to dosing 3 times a day?  My lower dose is at 10 am and higher dose at 10pm for sleep.  Is it best to have equal doses are can you wight them depending on needs?  Also how long does Lorazepam stay active in your system until withdrawal starts.

Please forgive my novice questions.  In fact maybe I already asked them as my recall not quite as sharp lol.

Sure hope you can help and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Wishing all of you well on this journey...... thanks again

lil

Hi lil,

Welcome to the group.  I am doing a dry taper and I dose 4x/day, which I changed from 3x/day when i started tapering.  It helped me because I was having interdose withdrawal. Everyone's different, though.  I'm sure you'll get good advice from others in the group.  Everyone here is very helpful.

Take care,

BWarrior

Thank you so much for getting back to me BWarrior! 

What times do you take your 4 doses and 3 doses before that?

Take care

Lil