Anyone recover from tinnitus?

[ty...]

I am 10 months since jump and my tinnitus is louder today then when i was in acute. It went away for 6 weeks but has been with me the rest of the way.....the intensity goes up and down..... I hear conflicting stories if this symptom resolves. Like to hear some anecdotal evidence of what to expect.........thanks!

Unfortunately, there is no evidence and everyone is different. The good news is that yours has gone and the intensity comes and goes. That’s is a VERY good sign. If it was consistent 24/7 it could still go but the variation is promising. This can take months or years to resolve. Just keep the faith.

I'm 36 months out and my tinnitus is gone.  It took 2+ yrs for it to fade away.  Before it stopped it would only crop up when I was fatigued or pushing myself too hard.

I love these stories. I’ve had it and after six months it’s gotten so much better. I just know it will be gone soon. What a luxury to sleep on my side again.
  • Like 1

I have had Tinnitus for 40+ years & had it when taking Valium and after I quit CT, it got worse, now I don't notice it, unless it gets really loud, which it sometimes does when lying down, preparing to sleep.

Hi everybody!

Tinnitus is my second battle right after the anxiety. I got it right after I started to take Lorazepam and antidepressants. At that time, I also had a bad cold with a lot of coughing as well so I don’t know still whom to blame.

Mine is not the regular high pitch constant sound. It is a hissing sound in synch with my heartbeat. They call it pulsatile tinnitus. It may have vascular causes. The regular tinnitus is more of a constant noise. It is a very common symptom of withdrawal. There is a thread here in BB dedicated to it.

I would really like to ask you guys what kind of sound do you hear. That's very important.

-Is it a constant high pitch?

-is it in both or one ear?

_ do any have or had the type that I have and went away?

Thanks in advance for any comments on this issue!!!

Mice

I had many sounds in the beginning. But not reactive to other sounds thank goodness. Came with hyperacusis which has improved greatly. Now it’s been a high pitched static sound that is only heard when ears are plugged. The thickness of the sound has dissipated and I know it’s going to go away completely as it has decreased in sound fullness. Every once in awhile I’ll get a sound “zap” like a weird noise that lasts a few seconds. I think it’s my body healing. MeganZ had pulsatile and it went after a few years. I think it was her last sx to go.

mine is constant, i wouldn't say high pitched.......more of a steady hiss........i only have it in my right ear. If i plug my left ear then i get it there too.....as long as my ears are open i only hear in on my right ear.......i felt like it was going away as it was so soft that it didn't bother me for months but it has come back stronger now.........for no reason.

Nope, only think I did was taper magnesium citrate cause my GI issues have cleared up…..I no longer take magnesium. Only change.

26 months post jump short term Ativan:

I still get it for about 2-3 days in a row (moderate to strong), followed by 3-4 days of complete silence 🙂 !!!

It used to be strong to extreme, almost daily in the first few months after jump…

I am sure it’ll disappear completely soon.

Karla

• 2 months later...

Not yet, still have it, but already a little better. I was suffering for about six months badly, couldn't sleep and my head went crazy.

With the help of Staten Island audiological services i took away some triggers, started avoiding things which make it even worse .

I can't say i don't have it anymore, it is just very light, very often i don't pay any attention at it.

I still get it for about 2-3 days in a row (moderate to strong), followed by 3-4 days of complete silence 🙂 !!!

It used to be strong to extreme, almost daily in the first few months after jump…

Karla

WOW amazing change. Did it just gradually fade or drop off one day and start this pattern?

Karla

Any idea why it comes and goes?  The cycles have me baffled!!  There seems to be no rhyme or reason that I can discern.

Alycat

Karla

Any idea why it comes and goes?  The cycles have me baffled!!  There seems to be no rhyme or reason that I can discern.

Alycat

Yours does the same? How did this start happening and when?

Mine started 1.5 years ago before I started my taper.  Loads of unusual stress and probs habituation tolerance.  If I ventured a guess I’d say my spikes correlate with either stress but especially long car rides.  Oh and it’s a hissing/sizzle sound mostly right ear.  Fluctuation from 1 to 5 on any given day.

Best

Alycat

Mine started 1.5 years ago before I started my taper.  Loads of unusual stress and probs habituation tolerance.  If I ventured a guess I’d say my spikes correlate with either stress but especially long car rides.  Oh and it’s a hissing/sizzle sound mostly right ear.  Fluctuation from 1 to 5 on any given day.

Best

Alycat

So you have had it on one side and it hasn't completely gone yet?

I’m still tapering.  I don’t expect it to heal until I’m done.  I just want to understand and/or control the “spikes” that occur on a cyclical basis.

Withdrawal symptoms mostly have a logic all their own but I found my tinnitus intensified with stress and fatigue. 

I think the closest we can come to controlling this process is to do the best self care we can - i.e. staying well hydrated, eating a healthy balanced diet, moderate exercise, practicing relaxation techniques, getting plenty of rest (not necessarily sleep), etc.

Withdrawal symptoms mostly have a logic all their own but I found my tinnitus intensified with stress and fatigue. 

I think the closest we can come to controlling this process is to do the best self care we can - i.e. staying well hydrated, eating a healthy balanced diet, moderate exercise, practicing relaxation techniques, getting plenty of rest (not necessarily sleep), etc.

Did yours go away as well?

Did yours go away as well?

Yes - it was one of the last WD symptoms to go.  I'd say it's 99.9% gone - It still happens very mildly and very briefly if I'm especially stressed and/or fatigued.  I'll be 4 yrs out in Sept.