Neck cracking popping tightness pain

[ab...]

Hi everyone, I’m 14 months in to my withdrawal from 17 years on benzos. Despite the significant healing I’ve experienced, my symptoms are not gone and many crop up in bizarre ways but for shorter durations. One symptom that has barely gotten better and behaves in very strange ways, is my upper neck where it connects to my skull. It ‘loosens’ a bit at night but ‘locks’ up during the day. On some occasions it loosens completely for a few hours then goes back to being very tight. I can often feel the tight, pulling sensation through my shoulders and into my jaw, roof of mouth, and even teeth and tongue. It was far worse at the beginning but it feels like it will always be there in some way. I truly hate that thought. It also pops and cracks and crunches. I can literally hear it. That part never lets up. I have been stretching it every day for months and that does give some relief. I find it becomes far worse when my anxiety ratchets up for any reason.

All my other symptoms ebb and flow. I have more decent windows these days but the neck issue is ever present.

Any insights or just plain empathy?

Any of your words would be helpful no matter where you are in your journey.

Thank you!

I haven't heard this description before but I've read plenty of posts about stiff necks, headaches, head pressure and jaw pain.  Isn't it amazing how bizarre all of this is, if you tried to explain what you were feeling to a doctor they'd just look at you but here, we get it.

I truly believe this symptom will leave when you recover, its too bizarre to stick around, right?  All of my symptoms left when I recovered so please don't worry, okay?

[e6...]

I have this!

It is quite common especially after COVID.

Mine started after my booster dose.

Seems like it is a sign of occipital neuralgia maybe??

Also the popping noises can just be inflammation in the joints etc.

That’s what the PT and chiropractor told me etc.

But a lot of benzo people have this too, lots of my buddies who have left the site say this!

Feel better

Winnie

Thank you! It’s so strange. Today is a release day but other days are lock up days. When it releases it becomes almost spongy.