Diazepam Tapering

[jo...]

Hello

I am really struggling getting off Diazepam.  I purchased it online to help with my alcohol problem.  I was taking 10mg each night and am now trying to reduce it.  However, since January I have relapsed 3 times (just for a couple of days each time) and end up taking more Diazepam as the hangover symptoms are so bad (shaking, anxiety, vertigo etc).  And it's back to square 1.  Despite the relapses I am down to 8mg a night.  Why are my hangover symptoms so bad now that I drink infrequently (I try not to drink at all). when I drank every day it was not like this.  Sometimes my legs don't work properly the morning after.  This feels like such a battle.  I know what I need to do so don't know why I am writing this.  I have measured out 5 more days of 8mg then down to 7mg.

Hello

I am really struggling getting off Diazepam.  I purchased it online to help with my alcohol problem.  I was taking 10mg each night and am now trying to reduce it.  However, since January I have relapsed 3 times (just for a couple of days each time) and end up taking more Diazepam as the hangover symptoms are so bad (shaking, anxiety, vertigo etc).  And it's back to square 1.  Despite the relapses I am down to 8mg a night.  Why are my hangover symptoms so bad now that I drink infrequently (I try not to drink at all). when I drank every day it was not like this.  Sometimes my legs don't work properly the morning after.  This feels like such a battle.  I know what I need to do so don't know why I am writing this.  I have measured out 5 more days of 8mg then down to 7mg.

Im in the same boat, tapering off 10MG V.  Im down to 7 headed for 6 in a few days.  I also struggle with drinking/not drinking. My guess is your symptoms are not as bad when your drinking because the alcohol is acting like a benzo. What happens though is your extending the healing time for your brain. I think? IDK.  I was just having one whiskey a night, every night at end of the day and i tried to have it by 8pm. I measured it out, exactly 2 ounces and thats all i would have. Seemed to help take edge off, i felt fine next day. Problem is having the alcohol in the house. It was too much a temptation if i had really bad withdrawl symptoms during the day to not have a drink. Id have an important meeting to go to (i work from home) and have so much anxiety i couldnt sit down for it. Well, easy to pour myself a drink or two and show up to the meeting feeling fine. My excuse was i had to, i gotta keep my job!

Next thing you know im drinking during the day too, then im drinking at 3AM a few shots if i cant fall asleep, which leads to a hangover then me drinking all next day to keep hangover at bay. Once i start binge drinking like that its all over for me, i cant stop because the bad feelings just keep coming and i keep putting them off with more alcohol...next thing you know ive had 10 drinks that day, bad hangover next day then rinse and repeat. Im also going through a divorce after 27 years so thats not really helping my situation either. Cant figure out which is from the tapering of the V or the divorce. Oh well, I guess my answer to you is yeah i bet it was easier when you were drinking....its always easier when you drink.....its when you stop is the problem lolol

Benzo withdrawl is worse than trying to withdrawl from alcohol...believe me ive done both.  Getting off alcohols a walk in the park compared to benzo withdrawl.  Those rehab places use valium when they get someone off of alcohol because the main withdrawl is over with alcohol within about 7-14 days. Then they take you off the V so you dont get addicted to it. If you have been taking the V for long enough to get addicted (more than 4 weeks) sometimes less...then it will be different for you now.  Mixing alcohol and Valium is a really bad combo, you gotta quit drinking and just go through the shitty week of getting over it and not drink again until your off the V..

Thanks for your reply.  I know what I need to do, its just these relapses.  My husband is an alcoholic so there is booze stashed in the garage so it is really easy for me to pop in and have a glass of wine (always a stupid excuse) then one glass of wine leads to 2 bottles then a horrendous hangover the next day, which requires more valium.  I do have Antabuse (online purchase) and I will take a quarter of a tablet tonight to keep me off the alcohol.  I can take Antabuse every ten days and that should see me through the tapering.  Anyway, I am 8mg for the next week then down to 7mg.  I am sorry to hear about your divorce after 27 years.  That's a long marriage and it must be very difficult for you.

You are doing really well to stay focused.

I have tried drinking alcohol with this valium in every manner there could be possible to see if its possible. What ive figured out in the end is for some reason, combining alcohol and V or Xanax or any benzo creates a terrible hangover the next day, like way worse than normal so you feel so bad your either forced to A: Drink more alcohol or B: Take more Benzos to make it through the day. Hell sometimes even just one beer if drank at like 10pm (same time i take my V) can cause me to feel like complete shit the next day to the point where im drinking again to make it through. its crazy. Not only that, it wreaks havoc with my mental state, i start crying, getting super emotional....my life literally starts to fall apart if i mix alcohol and valium. There is only one way i can do it ive found, if i have ONE drink and have it by 8PM. I have to measure it out too, like ONE legal shot of hard alcohol, or one beer. If i could keep it to that, id be fine....big problem here though is having the alcohol in the house, its just too easy for me if i didnt sleep or feel alot of anxiety to just talk myself into just one drink at like noon, well we know how that goes.....once that one drink wears off your going to have another just to keep the bad feelings away, next thing you know youve had 10 drinks throughout the day and looking at hangover city the next...and on and on it goes. I just went 7 days with no alcohol at all, i got two months to go before im done with tapering off this garbage. I can make it two months with no alcohol. To me i just cant drink while tapering, unless i want to wind up homeless.