This is hell

[Pu...]

Hi, i was on Xanax for the better part of 33 years. Eight months ago I became tolerant to the drug. i  have most of the symptoms in the Ashton Manual and more. in these last months, I have been in an outpatient program, had 3 ER visits, had a hospital admission and a 12-day inpatient stay which was pure hell.  I went from Xanax to Clonazepam and now Valium. i began a taper 8 days ago and have been experiencing even more physical and mental anguish. I am currently on 20 mg daily of Valium. i'm joining BenzoBuddies because I truly don't know how I'm going to get through this. Right now I don't have much hope and I need that as much as I need anything. I'm also curious about knowing what symptoms people are going through and how they managed.

Hello Pups08 :hug: Welcome to benzobuddies.

We are glad you joined the community.  You are right it is hell but I promise it will get better.  It sounds like you’ve had a really tough time of it already, I’m sorry for what you're going through.  You'll find plenty of information and receive lots of support here.  I reached tolerance level, like you after 26 yrs, I was very symptomatic.  Slow is the best way to go with these drugs,  Its best to taper at a rate you feel comfortable with.    Please post your questions to any of the dedicated boards. You are going to be okay, accept that it will take a while, keep positive, you will come through this ordeal.

We suggest reducing no faster than 5-10% every 10-14 days, and some taper slower than that.  Having some withdrawal symptoms is normal.  The most common symptoms are anxiety and insomnia, withdrawal symptoms are temporary and do go away with some time.

When you have a chance, I recommend that you take a look at The Ashton Manual, It provides a great deal of information that can be very reassuring during any stage of this process, including a list of common symptoms with helpful explanations. . CHAPTER III

Here’s a few links to resources:

The Ashton Manual 

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome Aboard

Magrita

HiPups08,

I was on Lorazepam for about 40 years and managed to quit so it can be done. I’m one year off now and it is still hard but much better. Sending you hope!

Warmest wishes Hardy x