Loss of appetite

[di...]

Over the past few days I've lost my appetite.. I get hungry, but feel nauseated. There's just nothing that I fancy to eat. Just thinking of it makes me more nauseous.

Anyone else??

Thank you

Diana

Hi Diana

I do not feel sick but loss of appetite is a big one for me.

Try and eat something. I have some porridge and blueberries for the morning. Could you try that?

MP

Hi Everyone,

Not in the greatest state right now...

I saw this, and I want to say I am in the same boat.  I do not have an appetite, and I am incredibly nauseous all the time.  It seems to radiate from my solar plexus area (above belly button).  It feels just awful.  And, I do force myself to eat.

Cocodot...I have had many, many mornings of vomiting.  You are not alone.  But, I don't vomit food...'cause there isn't any in there.  It is all bile.  Sorry...I know this is gross.

I have lost close to 40lbs in this process.  I am a bag of bones, and my shape?  Gone.  I will never complain about having extra weight on again once this is over and done with.  And, I'm in my 50's...I truly believe that as we get older, it is nice to have a bit of weight there.  In my 20's, 30's, 40's...being the weight I am now, I probably would have loved it.  But, not now.  And, not for this reason as there is no muscle mass any longer.

So, I have been eating oatmeal with blueberries at breakfast.  A dear person to me said to add some rice to add some calories.  So, I did.  But, it is so hard to eat when we are feeling like this.  This feeling is so bloody uncomfortable....all of these feelings are just horrible.  We think 'if only I could have this symptom leave, I'd be able to handle this much better'...it leaves only to be replaced by another.

Hang in there girls!  We're in a club that no one wants to belong to....but, it's got some pretty awesome members!

Much Love.

Warmly,

F

That's exactly where mine is Faith. There's also a hollow feeling there like really bad hunger pangs with gurgling noises and a feeling of heat in there. I've never suffered with my stomach! I've missed you x x take good care of yourself My dear friend x x x x x x

Ooh yes I recognise the extreme weight loss. I lost over 30 pounds already. A friend who is a doctor tells me to eat some spoons of olive oil to have calories on days eating is impossible. Also, if you have been able to keep food in for 20-30 min then your body has taken the nutrients from it apparently.

That's exactly where mine is Faith. There's also a hollow feeling there like really bad hunger pangs with gurgling noises and a feeling of heat in there. I've never suffered with my stomach! I've missed you x x take good care of yourself My dear friend x x x x x x

I'm still around, Dido.  I won't be going anywhere...just not as active right now.  I'm glad WS bumped your thread because I can't really focus on a lot of the titles...over-stimulating.  But, yours was at the top, so I noticed it.

Aside from porridge, have you tried a smoothie?  Do you have what you need to make one?  It is a good way to get fruits/veggies into you without our stomach having to do a lot of breakdown of the food.  And, I find it doesn't make my stomach feel awful after I drink it.

Ooh yes I recognise the extreme weight loss. I lost over 30 pounds already. A friend who is a doctor tells me to eat some spoons of olive oil to have calories on days eating is impossible. Also, if you have been able to keep food in for 20-30 min then your body has taken the nutrients from it apparently.

That is good information to know, Cocodot.  Thanks.  I was wondering about the nutrient absorption.

So, you and me...both dropping all kinds of weight.  How are you coping with that?  I am not copy too well with it.  Could you afford to lose the weight?  Meaning...has it brought you down below your ideal weight range for your height?

I purchased some small meal replacement drinks that have high calories. I was losing weight rapidly 10lb in one week. Somehow when I have those days where I can't eat I force myself to drink the meal replacement.

Which fruits and veg do you find easy on the stomach Faith? I'm a little concerned about sugar content 🤔

Yes, I was concerned, too.  I had to change the ingredients.  This is what I put in my smoothie now.

Blueberries

Raspberries

Apple

Butternut squash

Celery

Parsley

Zucchini

Kale

Flax Meal

Coconut Water

It's not too high in calories.  As Cocodot's doctor friend said, you could add some oil in there for calories and some fat.  I have not done that myself.  I probably should.

I used to use banana, strawberries, avocado, spinach, blueberries and pineapple juice.  The sugar content was high and also there were high histamine items in it.  So, I changed.

But, I still need ways to get more calories in my diet. 

Appetite? What's an appetite? I wake up with a.m. nausea, it goes down once I make myself eat my morning bowl of oatmeal with psyllium fiber added to keep things moving. But I dread eating, so I basically force myself to. I drink an Ensure throughout the day (was ordered by NP) to keep my weight from plummeting, My diet is restricted to food I can tolerate, and it's fairly bland. I have to eat to survive, but as soon as I do, my symptoms increase. I dread eating. It's the same boring diet I eat. Plain white fish or chicken breast, sweet or white potato, a vegetable. Snack on dry cereal such as Rice Chex and Cheerios. I can handle seafood once a week, so on Sunday I eat shrimp or bay scallops with whole wheat spaghetti tossed with a bit of heart-healthy spread that contains olive oil, and tastes buttery. I might enjoy the food when I eat it, but after I feel sick. I just can't win.

Appetite? What's an appetite? I wake up with a.m. nausea, it goes down once I make myself eat my morning bowl of oatmeal with psyllium fiber added to keep things moving. But I dread eating, so I basically force myself to. I drink an Ensure throughout the day (was ordered by NP) to keep my weight from plummeting, My diet is restricted to food I can tolerate, and it's fairly bland. I have to eat to survive, but as soon as I do, my symptoms increase. I dread eating. It's the same boring diet I eat. Plain white fish or chicken breast, sweet or white potato, a vegetable. Snack on dry cereal such as Rice Chex and Cheerios. I can handle seafood once a week, so on Sunday I eat shrimp or bay scallops with whole wheat spaghetti tossed with a bit of heart-healthy spread that contains olive oil, and tastes buttery. I might enjoy the food when I eat it, but after I feel sick. I just can't win.

I am in the same situation, BL.  Have you lost weight, too?

Thank you for your contribution to the thread  BL  I'm noticing a pattern, I'm really nauseous with no appetite for a few days, then I'm in a constant  starvation mode for a few days and it goes back and forth!!

[26...]

Hi all

This post won’t help your weight, but it may help you understand what’s happening and why you can’t stomach food. It’s pretty simple really.

You have two basic states - Rest and Digest, and Fight or Flight (survival mode). When you are highly symptomatic and destabilised, you are often in a Fight or Flight state. This state redirects the blood flow away from the gut and out into the extremities in order to prepare to fight or flee any potential danger. The gut basically slows or shuts down in this state and cannot process food. The gut needs the blood flow for digestion, so until ones calms and drops out of fight or flight and back into Rest and Digest where the blood flow returns to the gut, your digestion will be severely affected, causing all sorts of gut related symptoms.

I am in the same situation, BL.  Have you lost weight, too?

Not significant. That's when the NP put me on the Ensure. I sometimes take a PPI for a week or 2, then push my food intake up, to gain 5 lbs. So, I hover within the same range. It's a chore.