Blood pressure

[di...]

Hi, I've seen people mention BP spikes during withdrawal. I suffer with head pressure/tightness and a fuzzy buzzing sensation in my head/brain. Head symptoms are my worst symptoms. I'm wondering if spikes in BP could be causing these symptoms for myself and others who have these types of symptoms. Does anyone have any insight in to this?

Thank you

Diana

Head pressure is mentioned frequently as a withdrawal symptom.  I haven't seen any definitive explanation of the cause of this symptom but it's common. I had both BP spikes and head pressure. I think your speculation about whether there's a correlation between the two is very interesting.  Benzos affect our body and brain is such a variety of ways it's astonishing,  Unfortunately there are many unanswered questions.  Still, it's important to remember these symptoms are temporary and will resolve with time.

Thanks BD. I've actually broken down and sobbed like a baby three times today, and each time, the pressure and the fuzzing buzzing in my brain got way more intense! 🤔😕

[b6...]

Hi dido

I think the best thing you can do when your head pressure decreases or resolves for a while, is go to a pharmacy and have your blood pressure taken. But I’ll also test it myself… next time my head pressure is intense, I’ll take my blood pressure and and see if it’s spiked. My blood pressure is generally fine, but it has spike a bit on occasion, but I’ve also seen results change drastically within 5 minutes. Our CNS is so easily affected by stimuli that just having to go to the shops, doctor, pharmacy or chat with someone can cause a stress response to varying degrees, so having your blood pressure taken at a pharmacy may yield a higher reading than if you took it at home. We’re very sensitive in all areas of our body. You will notice that when we learn to let go of the incessant need to constantly analyse our symptoms (overthink), blood pressure readings will no doubt be lower.

[b6...]
Doctors usually only take your blood pressure once, but at pharmacies, (at least, the one I go to) they take it several times because they know how easily blood pressure readings can vary from reading to reading. They sometimes tell you to relax and calm yourself for 5 minutes in the chair before they even take it.

[b6...]
Blood pressure readings are often no different than any other symptom.… if you are always hyperaware and overly concerned (mentally) about a symptom, the symptom will increase in severity. It makes sense that blood pressure would be no different.

Thank you WS. It's very difficult going through withdrawal and having a very sick child. It's like I'm stuck in fight or flight mode. I just wondered if there was a link between BP spikes and the head pressure.

Thanks so much.

Diana

[b6...]

Hi Diana

As I mentioned in your other thread a moment ago, your symptoms seem to be related to still tapering too much, too fast. Your need to remain functional through your days to take care of your loved ones. Allow yourself stabilise. You are only on day 9 recovering from a significant reduction (too big). Please allow yourself more time to recover from that reduction and then taper at 5% rather than another 0.25, which would then have increased to around a 15% reduction. Hold, stabilise, and lower the percentage of your reductions. If you need help with the math and method, just post on the Planning Your Withdrawal (taper) Board, and someone will help you with this.

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

WS

[b6...]

Ahhh, you’ve probably mentioned this before, so please accept my apologies. It’s very difficult to keep up with and retain information about each individual members situation and circumstances when you read and respond to so many posts, especially when going through your own withdrawal/symptoms.

I understand your situation now.

Could I  just urge you to keep trying to find a more knowledgeable practitioner who understands the necessity for some patients to taper slowly. I expect you’ve been trying your best to find one, without any luck, but please keep trying, even if it means having to ask a family member or friend to help you seek one out. I know it can be emotionally triggering to keep hitting brick walls, and this is why we often need help from a caring friend or family member to do the leg work.  :hug:

I'm just totally lost and scared.....  There are no doctors in the UK who will prescribe benzodiazepines  anymore. Instead they offer antidepressants. I just don't know what to do. 😕