Intro, tapering valium

[Lo...]

Hi.  I have been taking valium 5mg upon waking and at 2 pm as well as temazapam 15 MG at bedtime for years.  My psychiatrist of 7 years would never listen to me and just gave me a pill for everything with no real explanation.  I got a new psychiatrist about 6 months ago who works closely with my therapist.  I have cPTSD, anxiety and depression.  I told them from the start I wanted off the benzos.  My does does nothing for my anxiety and I didn't want to increase.  2 months ago we all decided I was stable enough to start tapering.  My psychiatrist cut my afternoon dose in half.  Within a week I was so irritable and angry I didn't even want to be around myself!  She raised it back up to the original does.  We then started tapering by .5 MG a month.  I have questions about my new symptoms.  I've basically developed cardiac symptoms mimicking a heart attack.  I've been to the ER 3 times and admitted 2 times to the cardiac care unit.  I've worked with a cardiologist and he's done all the testing deemed necessary and he says my heart is fine.  My therapist had to redo my treatment plan yesterday and my anxiety score was higher than its ever been.  Her question was are the heart symptoms causing anxiety or is the taper and anxiety causing the heart symptoms.  I see my psychiatrist every 2 weeks and she doesn't believe my physical symptoms are withdrawal related and encouraged me to continue with cardiac care.  I'm so confused!!

Hello Loui50 and welcome to BenzoBuddies!

We're glad you found us!  I'm sorry you've been through so much and that you're getting so many mixed messages about your symptoms.  It's no wonder you're confused. I'm glad you've received reassuring feedback from your cardiologist.  Your psychiatrist reduced your dose drastically and that is bound to cause symptoms like those you describe. In contrast, at BB we strongly advocate for very gradual, careful tapers because it's the best way we know of to keep withdrawal symptoms to a minimum.  We can help you plan a a sensible taper.  You will find an abundance of good information and support here from a community of others who understand what this process is like. 

To give you an idea of what we recommend for tapering: We typically suggest tapering with cuts of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days as symptoms allow but even better is to let your taper be guided by symptoms rather than adhere to a rigid schedule of cuts.  This can mean holding at a dose for longer and/or making smaller cuts.  You'll learn more as you explore this site and ask questions.

We frequently see members post about experiences with doctors who are not well informed about the effect of benzos and particularly benzo withdrawal symptoms.  I think it might help enlist your psychiatrist in supporting you in a careful taper if you print the guidelines in the following link and bring it to the appointment with your psychiatrist and ask them to look at it while you're there: Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Now that you're a registered member of BB please explore the site and feel free to post with questions about your situation.  Below are some links to help you get started.  We encourage you to reach out for support and ask for the help you need.

We're glad you're here!

Brighterday  :)

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Success Stories

Chapter 3 Ashton manual, list of symptoms

Add your history/signature