Antibiotics and pregnancy (GBS)

[Wi...]

I am absolutely terrified. I am 33 weeks pregnant and pretty sure I have GBS (had it in urine in the past) and the standard procedure is to give GBS positive women antibiotics in labour. I have akathisia from polydrugging which included antibiotics. Had been almost healed, had a setback right before getting pregnant. It got way worse after my next setback in November from an antibiotic. I cannot even tolerate supplements at this point. I am still struggling and don’t seem to be healing yet. I know 100% that being given an antibiotic will send me into hell (I am already in one and if it gets any worse…) and I won’t be able to care for my baby or maybe even live to be honest. But not taking it will make me risk my baby’s health or life. The risk is low but still… When I read about women declining antibiotics when GBS positive,  everyone criticises them for doing so “why would you risk your baby’s life”, ”antibiotics are no big deal”,” etc.

However, my situation is very different, because I have to either risk my life (VERY high risk) or my baby’s (low risk but should something happen I will never forgive myself).

I am crying my eyes out. Has anyone ever been in such a situation?

I read your post then I logged off if benzobuddies as I wasn’t sure what to say, but your post stuck with me. I couldn’t help but log back on to send you a message. I’ve been in a setback since last January and I’m in another setback and also do to get a colonoscopy in two days with propofol and I’m beyond scared and I thought that was as worse as it can get. After reading your post, my heart truly breaks for you and I wish there were something I could do to help.

If you are on Facebook, there is a Facebook group called the natural health library. If you become a member, you can search for anything natural and homeopathic or even do a post to see if anyone has been in your situation.

Actually, I just typed in GBS and pregnancy and a comment thread of 34 comments  popped up right away of women who declined the antibiotic and their baby was fine. I definitely think you should join that Facebook page ASAP.

I don’t know if this is some thing where some thing like grapefruit seed, extract, or colloidal silver, or anything like that, would be safe in pregnancy, and would help to get rid of the issue, but it might be worth a shot to see if anyone else has had similar experience before you may have to risk the antibiotic.

I wish I could offer more help and assistance, but sometimes just to know that people care and are there for you can sometimes be helpful. I will definitely pray for you!

Thank you for your support. I will look up that group, thanks! I am very sensitive to all supplements and drugs and probably won’t be able to tolerate much but really an antibiotic seems to be the worst thing for me.

Sorry you are also in a setback, for me my setback is worse than original issues. I can absolutely understand being scared of anaesthesia. I know many people are not sensitive to other drugs and I honestly envy them.

Thank you for your support. I will look up that group, thanks! I am very sensitive to all supplements and drugs and probably won’t be able to tolerate much but really an antibiotic seems to be the worst thing for me.

Sorry you are also in a setback, for me my setback is worse than original issues. I can absolutely understand being scared of anaesthesia. I know many people are not sensitive to other drugs and I honestly envy them.

Me too!! Yes my setback is ten times worse how I was the 3 years prior. It blows my mind! I saw a couple women on that Facebook group say that they told her doctors they did not want antibiotics and they just made them stay in the hospital for an additional day or two for monitoring so I don’t know if that’s an option. If you really don’t want to get the antibiotics, I can talk to your doctor too.

Just remember, you will eventually heal and that little miracle is coming into your life for a reason and there’s a reason why you became pregnant when you did and there’s a reason why he or she is going to be a blessing you and you will have a reason to keep fighting to keep living and to get through this and have a life better than ever. I know our son is what keeps me going every day when I have no idea how I’m gonna keep going.

Thanks for the well wishes. I’m almost going the propofol calms me down some and I end up lucking out. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for this. I know she will become my purpose in life. But it’s all so difficult.

Let us know how the procedure goes. I hope it will be fine!

Willhealsoon,

I have also experienced a setback from antibiotics so I understand your fear - now add pregnancy and a baby into the mix I can't imagine the fear and uncertainty you are dealing with.

I would sit down and have a conversation with your OB, to the best of my knowledge, GBS causing either meningitis or a blood infection in a newborn typically happens within the first 24 hours after birth. I would ask if it's possible to just stay longer for observation of your baby instead IF they're concerned about it. I would also ask if there is potentially prophylactic treatment they can give to the baby immediately after birth so that you can avoid the antibiotic. Maybe that means baby gets an antibiotic at birth instead, is that ideal? Maybe not, but tons of newborn's are admitted and given antibiotics at birth/shortly after. You need to be able to still be a mom to this little one, YOU ARE IMPORTANT TOO, so to ask if there are alternatives is more then fair in your situation.

My young child are what have gotten me through the vast majority of my withdrawal. It's hard AF but they really do give you a meaning, purpose and a reason to push forward. You will get through this!

Hopeful,

May I ask what you were setback from?

Willhealsoon,

I have also experienced a setback from antibiotics so I understand your fear - now add pregnancy and a baby into the mix I can't imagine the fear and uncertainty you are dealing with.

I would sit down and have a conversation with your OB, to the best of my knowledge, GBS causing either meningitis or a blood infection in a newborn typically happens within the first 24 hours after birth. I would ask if it's possible to just stay longer for observation of your baby instead IF they're concerned about it. I would also ask if there is potentially prophylactic treatment they can give to the baby immediately after birth so that you can avoid the antibiotic. Maybe that means baby gets an antibiotic at birth instead, is that ideal? Maybe not, but tons of newborn's are admitted and given antibiotics at birth/shortly after. You need to be able to still be a mom to this little one, YOU ARE IMPORTANT TOO, so to ask if there are alternatives is more then fair in your situation.

My young child are what have gotten me through the vast majority of my withdrawal. It's hard AF but they really do give you a meaning, purpose and a reason to push forward. You will get through this!

Hopeful,

May I ask what you were setback from?

Unfortunately a severe stress setback January of 2022 and it’s been horrible ever since. I have no stress tolerance whatsoever and keep setting myself back with my horrible health anxiety now. And I’m so sensitive to literally everything and have a colonoscopy Thursday I’m terrified of yet an mri showed a spot of undertermined significance, perhaps a diverticula which is of no concern but they want to do a colonoscopy to be safe and I’m scared to wait to get a peace of mind yet scared to get it now as well with the prep and propofol.

Thank you, I will discuss it with my doctor the next time I am there. It’s difficult because I can’t even tolerate iron pills and I became anemic. What a sick joke. I hope my doctor believes me. She never forced anything unnecessary but she cannot grasp that I am unable to even tolerate supplements.