Memory, somebody please help

[Ho...]

Well I didn't go back on lorazepam nor did I go back to a doctor asking for help, as I had intended?  I am 118 days Lorazepam free and all I can think of,  if I go back on, I will have to go through the withdrawal again at some point, knowing how doctors feel about prescribing the drug?  I never took much lorazepam but took it nightly for 13 years?  I have been through the initial periods of withdrawal, I have experienced some very unpleasant symptoms such as panic attacks, insomnia, and feeling of cold wet spots on the skin,  when nothing was wet,  and recently I started with memory fog, but over the last few days forgetfulness (Short term memory loss) Forgot where I packed and stored some item, but that sure took time, it didn't come to me. I searched the house and found them, and now remember putting them there, but it was a blank for a couple of days, but today I forgot my lawyers name, and had to think long and hard before I could come up with his name, been forgetting to feed the dog, forget within a second what I'm supposed to do next and while this is usually short term and I do eventually remember, it is scaring me? 

While I read that memory loss can occur with withdrawal, it's been happening a lot over the last few days, can it be this bad?  How long will it last?

Hi HopeD

Yes memory loss can be that bad,  I multitask in my kitchen no problem, but in withdrawal I couldn't do one simple task.  I had forgotton how to cook.  l couldn't remember ingredients.    My kitchen was alien to me, I forgot in which cupboard I kept my crockery,  which draw my cutlery was in.  I couldn't recall people's names, even family I had to think hard.  Its a frightening symptom but it's a temporary one.. so try not to worry.

It does get better

Magrita :smitten:

"This too shall pass"..sooner than later. I came home from the hospital , I was there 6 days getting a medical detox off benzos which worked. Then I came back to the home I have lived in for over 6 years. I couldn't remember where I kept the silverware, the dishes.....I had to look in every cabinet. Couldn't remember also if I took the dog out, what day it was...I was shocked to find out it was 2023........couldnt remember things I did before the hospital and even yesterday. Remembering conversations I had with my husband were impossible..he had to remind me what I said. I started to keep a notebook per in the kitchen and wrote down for awhile important things like ,when I took the dog out logging day and time also my hormone pill I took daiIy ,I wrote that on there when I took it ,etc....

That did help... Maybe made me feel less crszyband get some control back, now a month later it has gotten better.  Just know it gets worse before it gets better.

Keep a notebook for the important things, it does help and this will subside.

Luck to you. :thumbsup:

O thank you, thank you,  your responses brought me to near tears, I am so grateful I read them. It really helps that I am not alone, and thank you for sharing of your experiences of forgetting things?  The next time I do something really off, then I will come back and read your responses to my post. You guys are awesome :thumbsup:

:smitten:

My memory has been getting so much worse and it's scary. I'm 6mths out and finding new troublesome side effects like this one. I bought a pill box for my meds and it helped for a while but just had to set an alarm to remind me to take them. When it went off tonight it took me too long to figure out what it meant. There's much more but I'm grateful to hear it's temporary. I'm still shocked at how truly awful benzo's really are and the suffering they have caused me and so many others. Thanks for the posts on this subject.

I just want to say I am exactly the same after suffering a flare up of symptoms. Yes, it’s very scary but I am sure you’re the norm for this and it comes right for us.

Liberty2  :smitten:

• 3 weeks later...
Thought it was over for me despite residual symptoms now feel as though back to the start but must get there and I realise we all get there eventually.

Even find it difficult to manage the forum now since my many mistakes in the past. I feel I am back to the start but this time I will make it.

This morning I went to make instant oatmeal. Filled the bag with water before dumping the contents! Ei, Ei, Ei…….

Yesterday was talking with a neighbor who works in the Solar Lighting field. Went ask if he was considering adding Solar Lights to his home. Couldn’t remember “SolarLights” so stumbled and just made noises, not even words as he just looked at me as if I had lost my ever loving mind!!

Ei, Ei, Ei…..

And those are minor examples of my total loss of memory. MINOR, I say! 🤦‍♀️

Brain fog and forgetting how to cook properly, people's names and words have been a symptom for me for the past three weeks or so. Scary yep as it isn't like me at all!!

What might help is doing brain games.  Mazes, puzzles, math, and the like.  They have app’s for these or you can buy hard copies if you like pen to paper.  This helps the brain to engage and stay “active” and we know that an active brain is a healthy brain  :smitten:

I had to recently take a test for cognitive brain and a few other things…OMG, it was so stressful.  There were two parts that I totally failed.  But my doctor, she also failed those two…we laughed, but I was so relieved she failed them as well….I thought for sure I was l in trouble mentally before I talked to her.  I wanted to take the test over.  Anyway, with benzo w/d fog brain, I scored in the “average” range and I am almost 57…so I am relieved  :D

I get scared when I can’t remember a name, that I just said the day before, or something I was just talking about the day before, and then I can’t remember the persons name that I was talking about…. :-\.  It is scary. 

It is nice to be reassured by those who have walked before us, that it does get better.  Thank you.  :smitten:

Marie