Doubled clonazepam dose and downhill from there

[jo...]

Hi, my goal is to taper from 1 mg clonazepam to .5 mg and maybe lower.

I was stable / productive taking .5 mg once at night for sleep, for 7 years.

Prescriber suggested doubling to 1 mg about two months ago to get through some recurring traumatic life events that were keeping me awake, and since then I have been taking 1 mg at bedtime. This seems to have backfired and I am now depressed, emotionally blunted, and sleeping too much, just to name a few new issues.

Also have been taking 12.5 mg doxylamine succinate at night along with the clonazepam to help stay asleep, for those 7 years.

No other meds or alcohol/recreational drugs used.

Curious to review experiences with a weekly pill-based taper rather than a consistent daily dose reduction.

For example the “Canadian visual Canadian deprescribing network tapering guidance and visual tapering graphic”

Not sure if clonazepam’s half life is long enough for this approach

https://www.hhs.texas.gov/sites/default/files/documents/benzodiazepine-safety-considerations-and-tapering-guidance.pdf

Hi jodjodjpd

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I am sorry to hear about the traumatic life events that caused this situation. Unfortunately we often find these pills only work for a while but eventually they turn on you and cause much more problems than the ones they were prescribed for. We will be happy to help you with your taper. Generally we do not recommend skipping doses. Our experience has shown us that keeping your blood serum levels steady, usually provide better control over symptoms. If you don't take a daily dose you create a whiplash effect on your body. And as you mentioned, this might not work with the half-life of Clonazepam and result in interdose withdrawal. However, whichever method you choose to taper is up to you and we'll support that. I had a quick glance at the document you linked and at first glance I am concerned at the taper speed suggested as well. I am not sure they truly understand the challenges we face during withdrawal. You might be interested in having a look at this document: Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Generally we recommend cuts of no more than 5-10% of each new dose every two weeks or so but it's best to let your symptoms guide your taper rate as it should allow you to remain functional while you taper. A symptoms based taper gives you more control to manage withdrawal.

Here are some links to get you started:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Add your history/signature

Please look around and let us know how we can help you!

Thank you for the references; the 25% reductions every two weeks in the Canadian de-prescribing guidance sounds way too rapid, after reading the others.

Yes I agree, 25%/14 days is way too much. I couldn't even handle 10%/14 days when I was tapering. We often say this is a marathon not a race. Ultimately the goal is to remain functional and not to suffer while you get off.