Help Planning a Liquid Taper Plan

[fa...]

Hi,

I'm on .22 alprazalom...down from where I started but stuck.  I've been on it for 22 years... My prescribing doctor retired and the other docs are giving me a really hard time about getting the meds so I figured I should get a plan going to get myself off.  I'll have to try to get more in the meantime to get me thru the withdrawals as I don't want to do it super fast as to be in severe withdrawals. What would be a reasonable timeline....8 -12 months or more?  I've been on it for a long time so I don't k now how bad it'll be but that last time I tried, it was very bad.  I don't drink at all now where I used have wine a couple times a week before so I'm hoping that'll help.

Can someone help me with a taper plan.  I figured I would buy a 100 ml syringe with 100 ml increments.  Then I plan to just dissolve the pill in it. There used to be a place on this site where you could plug in the numbers and run off a plan but I don't see it anymore. If I'm just not finding it, please point me to it.  I'm still learning my way around the forum.  Thanks so much! xo

Its difficult to say how long a symptom based taper will last which is what I hope you'll do.  By keeping a good record of your reductions and rating your symptom severity you can use that to guide your reductions and how long you hold each time, a spreadsheet doesn't really fit in this scenario  The beauty of a taper is the ability to adjust it for life's challenges so I hope you'll try that this time.

Did you use titration the last time you tapered?  Also, did you ever make it to benzo freedom?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Yes I plan to do a symptom based taper as I just don't want to suffer alot.  Hopefully my doc will give me scripts and not want to take control since they seem to know little. 

I did titration last time but didn't get far....25 to .22...that was about 1.5 years ago.  Since then, I went up to about .34 but cut back down to .22 again.  Now I'm chipping away at that very slowly as every time I do, I feel heart palpitations and have had some muscle spasms but sleep is still reasonable.  I usually wait until the palpitations feel better before I lower again. I'm currently using two spreadsheets until I figure out an easy way to condense. I'm using valerian root and melatonin to help.

It looks like you've got a good plan in place and I'm glad to hear you're still sleeping a bit but its great you're letting your symptoms ease before reducing again, smart.  :thumbsup: