Tapering Off Klonopin

[Sk...]

I've been on 1mg of klonopin for 7 years. I started my tapering journey a month ago. After going down from .75 to .5, I'm really struggling. I feel so groggy, heart palpations and jello legs.

I really want to get off of klonopin but I didn't think it would this hard.

Hello Skylark88, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Yes, this process is difficult for some of us but not everyone will suffer so we're left to figure this out on our own.  We typically suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or whatever your symptoms will allow, we need to remain functional because getting rid of the drug is only the first step, recovering from our use once is the second step.  I can take as long or longer for recovery to happen so incorporating a taper into your life and accepting the length of time it will take are important.

If you're feeling too rough, you can go back up in dose a bit but most will hold their dose in hopes of getting stable.

I'll post some links to help you find your way around but please let us know more about your situation, we want to help.

Pamster

Colorado  Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning  Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal  Support (during your taper)

Ashton  Manual symptom list

It was impossible for me to get off this after trying to taper forever....so, I went to the hospital and got a 4 day phenobarbotol medicated detox with Drs and nurses present to help. Best thing I ever did. Got off it in 4 days , home in 6 days ....the actual 4 days was manageable and way less painful than tapering. I highly recommend it. You do then still have the side effects  and withdrawal symptoms after to still deal with, but hey, your OFF benzos 100 percent. It was worth it to me. Luck to you.