Has anyone taken Zyprexa, and if so, what is your experience?

[lo...]

I'm so confused by this drug.

It was prescribed to me for sleep. I've been switching between 5 mg. to 2.5 mg to 1.25 mg and back up again over the past year. "They" (doctors) say to take it as needed, and that there is no withdrawal associated.

I don't trust them.

I also read online that it is similar to a benzo. Other things I read say that it is quite different.

Some say you can stop CT, others say it absolutely must be tapered.

Has anyone here gotten off of it, and if so, did you find it easy?

Any other experiences with it?

I would like to start tapering off of it but my last valium dose was a week ago and I'm not sure what symptom is associated with what.

So tired and frustrated over this.

I feel the same way -- tired and frustrated. I've had a hell of a time tapering Quetiapine which is in the same class. Doing compounded liquid taper. Been tapering since I started taking it five months ago. Bad to stay on this stuff for over a year because from what I understand it increases your chance of side effects every year you are on it. Please let me know if you find anything helpful in this process. I have held for three weeks since my last dose change due to bad symptoms. So pissed I even took this for sleep during benzo taper. I would be well on my way to healing. Also, the terror of tapering another drug is just unmanageable. There is no good way to get off these meds. And doctors only make it worse. We trade one problem for another when we take more meds IMO.

Rebecca, they gave you 30mg quetiapine for your nerves? what on earth, that is a high dose. How far down on your taper are you? My biggest question is whether I should start tapering olanzapine starting now, or wait, as I just stopped valium

30mg is considered a lower dose and it's commonly prescribed for sleep. Not sure if Zyprexa is the same. It looks like 5mg of Zyprexa is equivalent to 75mg of what I have been on. Some people swear by it for sleep. It depends on what you can handle. I know people who CTd benzos and then got off of no problem right after. I never had issues with meds prior to this. It's all so individual. I tapered down from 125 my to 34 my no issues then hit a major wall and ended up in a medical hospital due to the symptoms. Hospital got me down to 30mg. Going to start tapering to try to be med free by Fall.

You are right, sorry I got confused. I used to take 25 mg to 50 mg of quetiapine. I got confused because olanzapine equivalency is so much lower.

What was your experience stopping it? I've had sxs worse than acute benzo withdrawal unfortunately. So many people stop without incident.

I had no problem stopping it, but shortly afterwards went on olanzapine. (not for quetiapine withdrawal, but for general sleep aid)

I've been on pills since a tragedy in 2016 and doctors just always took for granted that I needed sleep aids, and I never really questioned it as I was in a blur. Now that I'm off valium, I vehemently want off all pills.

But yeah, to answer your question, I can't say that I had any major problems as a direct result of stopping quetiapine. Do you know others who are struggling with quietiapine as well?

I personally do not. Doctors tell me it could have been masking benzo WD sxs -- it's really not clear. Obviously, there are success stories and stories of difficult WD online.