Zyprexa tapering

[Th...]

good morning

I have been tapering Bromazepam over the last 3 months - reached 0 about 2 weeks ago

My psychiatrist provided me with Zyprexa to take the edge off psychotic phases of the Benzo withdrawal. So during the 3 months of benzo tapering I took 2.5mg Zyprexa about twice a week on average.

During the last two weeks I took it every other evening. Yesterday evening I decided, that I'll have to taper Zyprexa as well, after reading up on it...

So I am starting the tapering from 2.5mg Zyprexa and will reduce on a weekly basis.

One question is, what is the best way to split the pill? I could either crush it and divide the powder and/or dissolve it in water. What would you recommend?

here is the link to my introduction for a bit more background info: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=276509.0

I would appreciate your advice

I worry you're starting another taper before you've recovered from the Bromazepam, it'll be tough to know if your symptoms are from the Zyprexa or the benzo.

I've had a hell of a time tapering Quetiapine which is in the same class. Doing compounded liquid taper. Been tapering since I started taking it five months ago. Bad to stay on this stuff for over a year because from what I understand it increases your chance of side effects every year you are on it. Please let me know if you find anything helpful in this process. I have held for three weeks since my last dose change due to bad symptoms. So pissed I even took this for sleep during benzo taper. I would be well on my way to healing. Also, the terror of tapering another drug is just unmanageable. There is no good way to get off these meds. And doctors only make it worse. We trade one problem for another when we take more meds IMO.

Good morning,

@Pamster: I took 2.5mg Zyprexa for the last two nights and got ~5h of sleep, which is a win, compared to the 2h the nights before. I understand, that I shouldn't start the tapering process right now, and I would prefer to not take Zyprexa at all. But I am scared of jumping off the Zyprexa without tapering.

I will start the tapering process, once I feel more stable.

@ Rebecca29: Yeah, I also feel like trading one problem for another, but as mentioned above I don't have much of a choice, because I am not ready for just cutting off the Zyprexa.

When I went through the Benzo tapering, I had no idea, that I might end up with withdrawal symptoms for months after the last dose. I find it incredibly difficult to accept that. And I still hope, that I will improve faster... But given what I read in this forum about short term benzo addiction (less than 6 months), I don't have much hope, that I will be out of the woods soon...

I am also considering to reinstate the last dose of Benzo, on which I was functional. That would be 1,875mg (1/16 of a 3mg pill). However I'm not sure, what the benefit would be? If I end up in the same situation as now in a couple of months, it doesn't make much sense...

I am also considering to reinstate the last dose of Benzo, on which I was functional. That would be 1,875mg (1/16 of a 3mg pill). However I'm not sure, what the benefit would be? If I end up in the same situation as now in a couple of months, it doesn't make much sense...

I'm not sure either, I've recently worked with members who did this and they're still suffering.  Some are tapering back off, others are looking at increasing to hopefully find relief. 

I ended up in the ER again with facial twitches last night from Quetiapine. Not sure if this is a reason to taper more quickly. Trying to get correct medical guidance for this.

Pamster , when do you think he should start tapering zyprexa? asking because Im in the same boat.

We taper off medication by adjusting our doses to hopefully make it as smooth as possible but if we're still dealing with benzo symptoms and we start another taper it makes it difficult to know what is causing what.  If it's the Zyprexa causing the problem, then you can adjust your taper but if you're not sure if its the benzo or the Zyprexa, what do you do? 

Right and if you feel like you’re having an adverse reaction to the added med and need off you’re in a Catch-22 of sorts. So then what do you do?