need support

[hu...]

Hi, I'm looking for information and support regarding tapering temazepam - 20mg and diazepam - 5mg.  I don't feel the advice given to me by a professional was helpful (this was not a doctor).  (It was suggested that I took the temazepam every other night). Now I'm scared and a bit confused.  I've been on these meds for more than 10 years.  I'm allergic to all the other meds they have prescribed for anxiety/depression (mostly SSRI's and SNRI's).  I was doing ok mostly up until recently on the dose I was prescribed.  Also I think I've experienced some inter dose withdrawal for some time (temazepam?) (is this because of the short half life?). 

Hello hunnybear, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

You're correct, Temazepam is short acting since and mostly prescribed for sleep so I don't doubt you may be feeling interdose.  We don't recommend taking these medications every other day or sporadically, this can lead to a whiplash effect of symptoms, keeping your blood serum levels constant is important.

Do you believe you've grown tolerant to your dose, and need to increase it to achieve the same effect, are you experiencing withdrawal symptoms?  If your doctor is willing you could convert your Temazepam dose over to Valium but if not, I'd suggest getting rid of the Temazepam first.

We typically suggest reducing by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or by letting your symptoms guide you.  We can help you figure this out, please let us know how we can help.

Pamster

Colorado  Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning  Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal  Support (during your taper)

Ashton  Manual symptom list

Thanks Pamster.  I did run out of benzos for nearly a week a while back and had withdrawal symptoms of nausea, intrusive thoughts, intestinal distress etc.  I did have some old seroquel (50mg) which I think eased the symptoms.  I'm reluctant to consult a psychiatrist due to bad experiences in the past.  There is one GP locally who has so far been kind, and who was recommended to me by someone.  I will try to see her eventually.  I'm hoping she will not agree with the person who telephoned me. :( I'm not in a hurry to taper as mostly I find the benzos helpful compared to other meds I've been on.  I try to stay away from doctors as much as I can though as consulting them makes my anxiety sky rocket.  The latest phone call by someone unknown to me didn't help.  I agree with you about the whiplash effect.  I do have some inter dose withdrawal but mostly this is tolerable.  When I decide to taper I'll try to take it very slow (and hope some provider will agree). I'll look around the board more.  Thanks again!

I'm sorry this message is all over the place.  I want to rewrite it but hopefully it makes sense.

Your message is very clear, no worries.  It looks like your body is dependent since you've experienced symptoms so I agree, a slow taper will be necessary if you decide to do this and I can understand consulting with doctors causing anxiety.